Le cycle de Majipoor, tome 1 : Le Château…

Le cycle de Majipoor, tome 1 : Le Château de Lord Valentin (original 1980; edition 2002)

by Robert Silverberg

1,945285,279 (3.82)2 / 58
Member:corporate_clone
Title:Le cycle de Majipoor, tome 1 : Le Château de Lord Valentin
Authors:Robert Silverberg
Info:Le Livre de Poche (2002), Mass Market Paperback, 672 pages
Collections:Your library, fiction, speculative fiction, fantasy, english
Tags:fantasy, science fiction, science fantasy, planetary romance

Lord Valentine's Castle by Robert Silverberg (1980)

Dune by Frank Herbert (corporate_clone)
    corporate_clone: Both books are a subtle blend of science fiction and fantasy while being truly epic stories. Although Dune remains a superior literary achievement in my view, Silverberg's Majipoor series is a credible alternative.
    Vika's Avenger by Lawrence Watt-Evans (PMaranci)
    PMaranci: Shares a feeling of mystery and depth in the setting, rich and complex culture without being TOO complex, and an eminently readable mystery and adventure story. One of the rare SF books with a fantasy feel, and it really works well.
    Tales of the Dying Earth by Jack Vance (LamontCranston)

English (25)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (28)
I've had this books sitting on my shelf for no less than 20 years. Eventually saw it available on audiobook and decided it was finally time to find out what this classic was all about.

The first quarter of the book was pretty boring. Way too much minutiae about juggling. I almost gave up. Glad I didn't. It got better.

I get the feeling that back in the day (when I was kid and before) authors mixed fantasy and sci-fi a lot more readily than they do nowadays. It was strange because the book read like a regular fantasy book 90% of the time, but then he would talk about aliens, or other planets, and hovercraft. It kind of jolted me out of the story. ( )
  ragwaine | Dec 6, 2018 |
I didn't finish this. I read two, three hundred pages, but despite its charms there is a hollowness to the book. Now let's do this, now let's go there. So much description of places that we visit for a moment and then leave. The protagonist has an interesting enough story. If Silverberg had stripped out two thirds of the padding it might have been a more gripping book. On the other hand, a lot of other people liked it very much. Just not my thing.
  thesmellofbooks | Nov 4, 2018 |
I remember borrowing this book from the library when I was in high school.

I remember I enjoyed it quiet a bit! ( )
  kephradyx | Jun 20, 2017 |
[This review does contain minor spoilers.:]

Somewhat dazed, Valentine wakes up in a field somewhere and is discovered by a passing herd boy. And thus begins Valentine's journey, from a puzzled and confused amnesiac to discovering who he really is.

Can you imagine, a person who was king (or "Coronal" in this case) who was somehow magically switched with another body, and the new Coronal is really wearing a new body.

Scary stuff. The first half of the book deals with not only his self-discovery, but his new loves and new adventures with people he may never have met, had he not been cast from his high and mighty throne.

The crux of the story really has to do with his own self-discovery, his haughtiness replaced with a simple understanding of reality, and then the merging of these two into Valentine the Coronal.

Several parts to this book I like. The author doesn't let on that Valentine is really actually the Coronal but weaves his readers through the self-discovery, laying clues along the way. And he does a bit of planet-building too. New aliens, ancient civilizations and so on. Unfortunately these are not fleshed out all that much.

Silverberg gets into the Metamorphs, the original race that "wasn't really using the planet anyway" and are on reservations. They're called Metamorphs because they can change themselves to look like anyone - shapeshifters.

Valentine meets with a group of jugglers who slowly realize he is not what he seems. It takes some convincing to get him to see that he is in fact the Coronal and that there is an usurper on the throne. And even then, he would prefer the simple life of a juggler to the dubious monarchy. What a conflict!

Despite the fact that there are aliens on this planet and that Earth is all but forgotten, and even the technology laid out in the story is forgotten as well, this story could easily fit in Medieval England or in a Marion Zimmer Bradley story. Calling it "science fiction" is a loose term. It's definitely a fantasy tale.

Bottom Line: Great story, full of imagery, bravery and self-discovery. I would have fleshed out some of the other alien races more and given less to the biology and geography of the planet. Perhaps Silverberg does so in the other books of the series.

Recommended!

Others of Interest:

The Book of Skulls
Valentine of Majipoor : Lord Valentine's Castle/Majipoor Chronicles/Valentine Pontifex
Collected Stories of Robert Silverberg: Volume 1 Secret Sharers
  James_Mourgos | Dec 22, 2016 |
I love this book. Its been a long time since I've read it, but it still stands out in my mind as a science fiction classic. Not only the plot, but the huge expanse of Majipoor is what really sets this book apart. I think Silverberg created a unique setting with strong characters and a compelling plot. ( )
1 vote Karlstar | Jan 12, 2016 |

Robert Silverbergprimary authorall editionscalculated
Burns, JimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kirby, JoshCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walotsky, RonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for David Hartwell, Page Cuddy, John Bush - they pushed very gently.
And then, after walking all day through a golden haze of humid warmth that gathered about him like fine wet fleece, Valentine came to a great ridge of outcropping white stone overlooking the city of Pidruid.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061054879, Mass Market Paperback)

The national bestselling saga from the stunning imagination of Robert Silverberg continues in the first new hardcover Majipoor novel in nearly a decade. As a prequel to Silverberg's earlier Majipoor novels. Sorcerers of Majipoor provides a deep, dark vision for the background of the conflict inLord Valentine's Castle and Valentine Pontifex.

Treachery and wizardry run rampant under the reign of the mighty Pontifex, as both the rightful and the unworthy heirs to the throne anxiously await his demise. Korsibar, son of the current Coronal, plots with his twin sister and ambitious companions to seize the power of the Coronal when his father ascends to the throne of the Pontifex.

But the burdens of the crown and scepter exact a higher price than Korsibar is prepared to pay. His rival fights to take his appointed place as keeper of his beloved Majipoor... and to restore order to the utter chaos that has befallen their world.

"Silverberg has created a big planet, chock-a-block with life and potential...." -- The Washington Post

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:27 -0400)

On the planet of Majipoor, Prince Valentine undertakes a dangerous quest to reclaim his birthright and his realm.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,569,557 books! | Top bar: Always visible