Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List by Rachel…

Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Rachel Cohn, David Levithan

Member:LizNoland
Title:Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List
Authors:Rachel Cohn
Other authors:David Levithan
Info:Knopf Books for Young Readers (2007), Edition: Reprint, Hardcover, 240 pages
Collections:E-books, Read but unowned
Tags:YA, friendship, relationships, gay

Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List by Rachel Cohn (2007)

If I wasn’t working my way through all of David Levithan’s book’s I probably wouldn’t have read this. I read the other two books he co-wrote with Rachel Cohn and I didn’t like those one, so I doubted I would like this one either. It’s a bad way to start a book. But I was right – I didn’t like this book any more than the other two. I do like David Levithan’s writing. I’m not positive how the two co-write their books but I’ve always assumed that he wrote the male perspectives and she wrote the female perspectives. I usually like the male perspectives and not the female perspectives so that made sense. In this book, I really didn’t like Naomi. Like, really didn’t like. But what was surprising was that I didn’t like Ely all that much either. Good thing it was so short a book. Check it off the list and move on to other better books. ( )
  Kassilem | Aug 21, 2014 |
This third in a series isn't nearly as strong as the first two. I loved book 1, liked book two and tolerated book 3. Sure it has a lot of pithy one-liners but I found the array of narraters confusing and the dearth of swear words tiresome. ( )
  SparklePonies | Apr 20, 2014 |
3.5/5 Stars

I honestly struggled with rating this story. The writing deserves 5 stars. The secondary characters were great. I especially loved the chapters with Gabriel and Bruce the First POVs. Unfortunately, I really did not like the two main characters, Naomi and Ely. They did eventually grow on me. I felt frustrated with Ely for thinking he did nothing wrong when he messed around with his best friend's boyfriend. Even if she really did not care for Bruce the Second, Ely did not respect his friendship with Naomi by hitting on her boyfriend. Yes, Naomi was annoying in her obliviousness towards Ely. Yes, she needed a reality check. The dude is gay. Get with the program. Yet, it still does not excuse Ely's behavior. Bruce the Second ticked me off too. He seem to feel no remorse for the fact that he cheated on his girlfriend with her best friend. Hmmm...on the other hand, the struggles and the growth that Naomi, Ely and Bruce the Second went through made the ending tolerable. ( )
  paisean13 | Sep 21, 2013 |
Review from library copy

I really liked all the different viewpoints of this YA Will and Grace, but had a really hard time with the pictures representing words sometimes. ( )
  kcarrigan | Aug 26, 2013 |
Naomi and Ely have been best friends since they can remember. Naomi has been in love with Ely since she can remember and always assumed that they would get married, that is until Ely announced that he would much prefer to marry a boy...but Naomi still thinks that maybe it would work. When Ely kisses Naomi's boyfriend, their friendship is over and Naomi starts to realize that her dreams might never come true...but can their friendship at least be saved?

Very angsty, but a quick read and good messages about letting people be who they are instead of who you want them to be. ( )
  agrudzien | Jul 20, 2013 |

Rachel Cohnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Levithan, Davidmain authorall editionsconfirmed

NAOMI AND ELY ARE BEST FRIENDS. Naomi loves and is in love with Ely, and Ely loves Naomi, but prefers to be in love with boys. So they create their "No Kiss List" of people neither of them is allowed to kiss. And this works fine - until Bruce. Bruce is Naomi's boyfriend, so there's no reason to put him on the List. But Ely kissed Bruce even though he is boring. The result: a rift of universal proportions and the potential end of "Naomi and Ely: the institution." Can these best friends come back together again?

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:55 -0400)

Although they have been friends and neighbors all their lives, straight Naomi and gay Ely find their relationship severely strained during their freshman year at New York University.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,720,807 books! | Top bar: Always visible