Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List by Rachel Cohn

Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Rachel Cohn, David Levithan

Member:indygo88
Title:Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List
Authors:Rachel Cohn
Other authors:David Levithan
Info:Ember (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 256 pages
Rating:**1/2
Tags:read in 2012, ebook

Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List by Rachel Cohn (2007)

This book is 100% melodrama, but I was laughing my head off the entire time. Thus-->4 stars. I took off one whole stare because of the effing annoying graphics in Naomi's POV. ( )
  Stebahnree | Mar 13, 2016 |
  Stebahnree | Mar 13, 2016 |
I read this E book because a young adult came in to the Library and suggested it to me. I found the story to be unique and not something I would normally pick-up to read. Most of the characters were believable. Sometimes I felt upset towards Naomi because she was forever using people and being a "BIG" taker. Naomi did not realize she had a "true" friend until it almost was to late. I cheered when Ely wanted to work on his relationship with Bruce. I might try to read other books written by these two authors. ( )
  BrendaKlaassen | Dec 26, 2015 |
Naomi and Ely have grown up in adjacent apartments and been best friends forever. Naomi knows Ely is gay, but a stubborn part of her still believes they're meant to be together, and that part causes a lot of problems. Meanwhile, Ely falls for Naomi's (ex)boyfriend Bruce the Second (not to be confused with Bruce the First, who also lives in their apartment building), and Naomi can't help but notice the incredibly hot young doorman, Gabriel. All of these characters and more get a turn narrating the story.

Quotes

How can you spend hours every day trying in small ways to figure out who you are, then have a near-stranger give you a sentence of yourself that says it better than you ever could? (Bruce the Second, 20)

Gay guys get all the perks with none of the responsibility. It's so not fair. (Bruce the First, 29)

Neither of us needs a mirror when the other one's around. (Ely, 37)

That indifference was a lie....Indifference lies to protect my hurt. (Naomi, 45)

"It hurts to hurt people when you never mean to, doesn't it?" (Naomi to Ely, 197)

...the writing on the map is gone, but the paper's still there. (Ely, 213)

...I think that as hard as we try, it still sometimes feels like we all speak different languages. Even if we all share the same words, meanings can be different. (Ely, 223) ( )
  JennyArch | Apr 18, 2015 |
After loving the book Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist by these two authors, I couldn’t wait to see what they had written next, but I didn’t like this book nearly as much.

The book is about two teens, Naomi and Ely, who have been inseparable BFFs since they were little. Naomi is in love with Ely, but Ely is gay. Naomi, however, refuses to accept it. When Naomi’s boyfriend, “Bruce the Second,” and Ely unexpectedly discover that they click with each other better than Bruce did with Naomi, all of the relationships become unraveled. The three have to come to terms with who they really are, what they really want, and what it means for their interactions going forward.

Discussion: The story is told from multiple points of view - not only by Naomi and Ely, but by Bruce the First (an earlier boyfriend of Naomi’s), Bruce the Second, and others in their lives. Some of the characters are more appealing than others. Strike that: I found only Bruce the Second likable. Ely was okay, but only in comparison to Naomi, who I found extremely unlikable. For reasons unfathomable to me, however, all the other characters adored Naomi.

Ely had an unconvincing epiphany or two by the end of the book, but Naomi not so much.

In addition, I thought the authors got carried away with adding cutesy aspects to the plot, possibly because of the popularity of the music playlists from the previous book. There is even a detailed music playlist in this one, but it seems more like a like-this-book-too appendage than an integral part to the story. The idea of the “no-kiss list” also just didn’t quite gel, and Naomi’s use in her chapters of the wingding font (which render letters or words as symbols) struck me as annoying rather than cute.

Evaluation: Some of the issues covered in this book about acceptance of being gay (by both non-gays and potential gays) make it worth reading, but I wasn’t all that taken by the characters or the story. I loved the dedication though: “To Nancy the First.” ( )
  nbmars | Mar 12, 2015 |

Rachel Cohnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Levithan, Davidmain authorall editionsconfirmed

NAOMI AND ELY ARE BEST FRIENDS. Naomi loves and is in love with Ely, and Ely loves Naomi, but prefers to be in love with boys. So they create their "No Kiss List" of people neither of them is allowed to kiss. And this works fine - until Bruce. Bruce is Naomi's boyfriend, so there's no reason to put him on the List. But Ely kissed Bruce even though he is boring. The result: a rift of universal proportions and the potential end of "Naomi and Ely: the institution." Can these best friends come back together again?

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:13 -0400)

Although they have been friends and neighbors all their lives, straight Naomi and gay Ely find their relationship severely strained during their freshman year at New York University.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,404,757 books! | Top bar: Always visible