Mister Monday (Keys to the Kingdom, Book 1)…

Mister Monday (Keys to the Kingdom, Book 1) (original 2003; edition 2003)

by Garth Nix

2,673None2,211 (3.87)116
Member:yorgeywinslow
Title:Mister Monday (Keys to the Kingdom, Book 1)
Authors:Garth Nix
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (2003), Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages
Tags:fiction, fantasy, young adult, l: read

Mister Monday by Garth Nix (2003)

adventure (54) alternate worlds (12) audiobook (10) Australian (18) children (23) children's (57) children's fiction (17) children's literature (19) fantasy (482) fiction (180) garth nix (23) juvenile (17) Keys to the Kingdom (120) kids (14) magic (53) NIX (12) novel (14) own (14) quest (10) read (45) science fiction (19) series (68) sff (17) teen (19) to-read (29) unread (22) YA (77) YA Fantasy (12) young adult (101) young adult fiction (12)

1st in the Keys to the Kingdom series. Interesting, complicated. Grim foes, touches of humor, an ordinary young boy who does extrodinary things because he must. A unique story. ( )
  LoftyIslanders | Apr 5, 2014 |
This book is about a kid named Arthur who has just moved to a new town. When gets to school the P.E. teacher makes him run laps even though he has major asthma. When he almost dies people appear and give him a book and a minute hand looking key. He then is taken into a strange world called the house and announce the rightful heir of the throne. He go's on a journey to take the hour hand and set things right.

This book was decent enough and followed the plot triangle. It ended knowing there was a second book and a good conclusion for that. The story also keeps it to were the beginning is not a boring long piece but got quickly to the point. I found it fun to read and would say it was decent. It had some parts that were very technechal like the names of a creature. ( )
  ConnorE.b4 | Mar 18, 2014 |
If you are looking for a new series after finishing the Percy Jackson series, this one may fit the bill. Much like Percy, Arthur is put into the position of fighting to save what he didn't know existed. Arthur is an unlikely hero that is thrown into something he wasn't ready for, but I love how he steps up to the challenge. He is completely scared, but he decides that he must over come that and battle on. I really liked how well he thought on his feet. I always think that in difficult scary situations I'd freeze up and have no clue what to do. Many times when I would've been frozen Arthur's mind was in overdrive coming up with a plan. I particularly liked the scene with the ambulance. I won't say what happened but it was great!

The story has to do with the Will. I won't try to explain it because it's a bit complicated, but the Will is broken into seven pieces and hidden. People throughout the world of the Will of course what to bring the pieces back together and not always for good reasons. It because Arthur's job to find the seven keys and stop anyone with bad intentions from taking over. A small task wouldn't you say??? This is difficult because Arthur isn't from the world of the Will, so doesn't understand everything. Plus he was meant to die not live and fight! Within this world are many people are named after parts of the day like Noon and Dusk. Plus there are ones dealing with each day of the week. The star of this books is Mister Monday of course, and he's not a nice fellow! Arthur must battle him as he fights to collect the first of the seven keys. As an English teacher I LOVED how Mister Monday was taken down but of course I won't tell you why that was :) It was cool though!

I will say that were parts of this book confused me. When the Will and the realms were being explained I had to read really carefully in order to completely understand all the pieces. To be honest I'm not sure I completely understand it all now. I'm thinking that as the story continues it'll become even more clear. At least I hope it will! Because of this, I would make sure that a student understood that they'd need to read carefully before they started the book. I think most kids would be fine, but it's something to keep in mind. I did have one student start the series this year and is loving it and another one who zipped through all seven books last year loving each one!

Final thought: Action + thinking = well done fun
Best stick-with-you image: the people busy busy in the first realm Arthur enters
Best for readers who: like a bit of thinking with their action
Best for ages: 10-14 or even older.
  MrsBookOwl | Sep 14, 2013 |
I'm rereading through the series (listening to the audio, actually) before I read Superior Saturday. On rereading this, I have some questions and observations that occurred to me. I'm not sure if any of these are answered later, because I don't remember all the details (which is one reason for rereading).

- How does the first fragment of the Will escape? Somehow it got out of that unbreakable box & crystal. Did it have help?

- Who are the two men who took the inspector away after the fragment escapes? They push the top right button in the elevator. Does that mean they are from Lord Sunday? Or are they Saturday's men?

- I notice that when the inspector is thinking about punishment, he worries that he might be made corporeal and sent to the secondary realms as a baby for his punishment. That means that denizens can become mortal, I think. Is this significant?

- Why doesn't Mister Monday know that the key will help Arthur to be able to breathe better? It probably saved Arthur's life to be able to breathe for those few minutes until help came, which certainly thwarted Monday's plan to give the key to someone who would immediately die.

- Why can only Leaf and Arthur see Mister Monday and Sneezer? And only some people can see the Fetchers: Arthur, Leaf, Ed, and the school librarian. Leaf can smell the Fetcher's smell on the people who are ill, and no one else can, not even Ed. Is Leaf somehow special?

* * *

Edited to add: Finished the reread and enjoyed it as much as the first time. I'm surprised - I had remembered Arthur as being fairly weak in the first book, and become stronger as the series progressed - but I had forgotten that even in this first book, he stood up to the Will. ( )
  SheilaRuth | Aug 23, 2013 |
Loved it! Nix is such a good writer that I could see it all happening in my head. And the setting was really strange and original. I felt a little like Nix had to create an external event (the plague) to motivate the main character, but the rest was so good that I'm gonna let that one go. Already checked out the second one from the library. ( )
  Inky_Fingers | Jul 14, 2013 |

Garth Nixprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Corduner, AllanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevens, TimIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Anna and Thomas, and to all my family and friends
They had tried to destroy the Will, but that proved to be beyond their power.

Seven days. Seven keys. Seven virtues. Seven sins. One mysterious house is the doorway to a very mysterious world -- where one boy is about to venture and unlock a number of fantastical secrets. This is another thrilling, triumphantly imaginative series from Garth Nix, the best-selling author of The Seventh Tower, Sabriel, and Lirael.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0439551234, Mass Market Paperback)

Best-selling author Garth Nix creates a magical world and an intriguing mystery in this new blockbuster series.

This is another thrilling, triumphantly imaginative series from Garth Nix, the best-selling author of THE SEVENTH TOWER, SABRIEL, and LIRAEL.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:25 -0400)

Arthur Penhaligon is supposed to die at a young age, but is saved by a key that is shaped like the minute hand of a clock. The key causes bizarre creatures to come from another realm, bringing with them a plague. A man named Mister Monday will stop at nothing to get the key back. Arthur goes to a mysterious house that only he can see, so that he can learn the truth about himself and the key.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,408,444 books! | Top bar: Always visible