Many Bloody Returns by Charlaine Harris
991None8,630 (3.56)11

A so-so collection of vampire tales, some better than others but none of them particularly memorable. Glad I checked this one out rather than purchased, and it definitely won't be on my re-read list. ( )
  SunnySD | Jul 27, 2013 |
The main reason I bought this book is because it had a short story from the Sookie Stackhouse novels by Charlaine Harris. It is an anthology with 12 other contributors about vampires. What I liked the most about it was how different each author interprets vampires. It varies between how they can be killed, whether they can go out in the sunlight or not, between the authors. Some of them had a more serious and morbid tone to them while others had dark humor. My favorites were "Dracula Nights" by Charlaine Harris, "Vampire Hours" by Elaine Viets, "Blood Wrapped" by Tany Huff, "The Witch and the Wicked" by Jeanne C.Stein and "The First Day of the Rest of Your Life" by Rachel Caine. For vampire fans, this anthology is sure to satisfy because it has something for everyboday.
  AdriaFaye | Jul 18, 2013 |
This review is specifically for "It's My Birthday, Too," the short story by Jim Butcher in this collection.

I would highly recommend NOT reading this until you've read earlier Dresden books (it's set after White Night). The premise of this story is based on a detail that is not revealed until several books into the series. WARNING: The rest of my (short) review below contains spoilers.

This was a fun tale focusing on Harry and his brother Thomas. Of course an occasion for a birthday can't help but devolve into mayhem when Harry's involved. Harry was resourceful as ever, Thomas was in fine form, and their sibling relationship might be stronger for it. There's nothing like fighting side by side for a wizard and his vampire half-brother. ( )
  monica67 | May 24, 2013 |
Many Bloody Returns is an anthology of short stories that have two common themes - vampires and birthdays. It contains stories by authors of popular vampire series, such as Jim Butcher, Kelley Armstrong, Tanya Huff, and Charlaine Harris. Some of the contributing authors are ones I've never heard of, and I have already added their novels to my 'to-read' list. The biggest treat for me was Christopher Golden's story; it was so neat seeing his name included among such accomplished genre authors.

Any short story collection put together by so many voices always risks being uneven in terms of quality, but MBR really only had one stinker - "Vampire Hours" by Elaine Viets. It was so juvenile and trite that I was embarrassed to be reading it, but it only takes up 25 out of the book's 355 pages.

It's perfect for finding new authors in the vampire genre and enjoying old favorites. I really enjoyed seeing how each author tied birthdays into the stories, since some were pretty creative. ( )
  BrookeAshley | May 23, 2013 |
This anthology contains 14 stories from famous authors that mix vampires and birthdays. Some of my favorite stories were the funny ones, such as "I Was a Teenage Vampire" by Bill Crider, and the mystery ones, such as "Grave-Robbed" by P. N. Elrod. Of course, I really enjoyed the funny mystery "How Stella Got Her Grave Back" by Toni L. P. Kelner, which was the perfect ending to the collection. ( )
  bookwyrmm | Apr 8, 2013 |

Stein, Jeanne C.Contributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Viets, ElaineContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Desimini, LisaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lagerman, JudithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is dedicated to Joss Whedon, who may never read it, and his enthusiastic fans known as the Buffybuds, who will.
When we were approached about editing this anthology, we were like two kids with a new toy. (A Few Words by Charlaine Harris and Toni L. P. Kelner)
I found the invitation in the mailbox at the end of my driveway. (Dracula Night)
On a warm, late summer's night, Donika Ristani sat on a the roof outside her open widow - fat-bellied acoustic guitar in her hands - and searched for the chords that would bring life to the music she knew lay within her. (The Mournful Cry of Owls)
If you really want to hear about it, which a lot of people do, being naturally curious, you probably want to know where I was born and what I was like as a kid and how I would up living (in a manner of speaking) under a bridge and all that Catcher in the Rye kind of crap, but I just don't feel like talking about any of that right now, and anyway it's not all that interesting, to tell you the truth. (I Was a Teenage Vampire.)
Another life taken. Another year to live. (Twilight)
Anthology - Contains the following short stories

The Wish by Carolyn Haines

Fire and Ice and Linguini for Two by Tate Hallaway

Vampire Hours by Elaine Viets

How Stella Got Her Grave Back by Toni L.P. Kelner

Never-before-published vampire stories by Charlaine Harris, Jim Butcher, Kelley Armstrong, and many others.

Suspenseful, surprising, sometimes dark, sometimes humorous-these all-new stories will ensure that readers never think of vampires (or birthdays) in quite the same way again.

In New York Times bestselling author Charlaine Harris's "Dracula Night," Sookie Stackhouse is the only human at the annual commemoration of Dracula's birth. But this year, the Prince of Darkness actually shows up-and finds Sookie to be a tasty-looking present.

New York Times bestselling author Jim Butcher's crime-solving wizard Harry Dresden, of the Dresden Files novels, heads to a role-playing party to give his vampire brother a birthday present in "It's My Birthday Too," only to discover there are some bloodthirsty party crashers who don't share their brotherly love.

In "Twilight," Cassandra DuCharme, who appeared in New York Times bestselling author Kelley Armstrong's Dime Store Magic, knows she has to kill to live as a vampire another year-but finds herself disturbingly disinterested in the hunt.

Plus ten more bloody good birthday stories that take the cake.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:02 -0400)

A few words / Charlaine Harris and Toni L.P. Kelner -- Dracula night / Charlaine Harris -- The mournful cry of owls / Christopher Golden -- I was a teenage vampire / Bill Crider -- Twilight / Kelley Armstrong -- It's my birthday, too / Jim Butcher -- Grave-robbed / P.N. Elrod -- The first day of the rest of your life / Rachel Caine -- The witch and the wicked / Jeanne C. Stein -- Blood wrapped / Tanya Huff -- The wish / Carolyn Haines -- Fire and ice and linguini for two / Tate Hallaway -- Vampire hours / Elaine Viets -- How Stella got her grave back / Toni L.P. Kelner.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,474,396 books! | Top bar: Always visible