Many Bloody Returns by Charlaine Harris
Authors:Charlaine Harris
Info:Ace Hardcover (2007), Hardcover, 368 pages
Collections:Your library, Wishlist
Tags:wishlist

Many Bloody Returns by Charlaine Harris (Editor)

Recently added bybookjunkie57, MustHaveFiction, RCW, Foodang, lostinthebb, private library, b3zsgirl, ogbebaba

The First Day of the Rest of Your Life - [a:Rachel Caine|15292|Rachel Caine|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1272650500p2/15292.jpg] - 3.5 Stars - My goodness Michael is sweet. There's nothing like a guy who knows how to cheer you up after a beyond crap day. ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Apr 17, 2015 |
It's a collection of vampire stories about birthdays. A lot of the authors seem to be having fun with the limits and they also play with the concept of birthday as well, vampires can regard two days as birthdays, the day they were born as a vampire is often used as a birthday as well.

Charlaine Harris has a Sookie Stackhouse story here, Sookie is invited to a birthday party for Dracula, known as Dracula Night, Dracula goes to one of these parties every year, will he be at Eric's, Eric certainly hopes so.

The Mournful cry of Owls by Christopher Golden is a different story, a story of a stolen skin of a strega and a mother overwhelmed by grief who makes choices that will come to roost on her daughters birthday.

I was a teenage Vampire by Bill Crider - a girl wants a vampire for her party, her brother knows someone who knows someone. This will not end well for anyone. The last few paragraphs left me wondering.

Twilight by Kelley Armstrong featured a vampire having to deal with their life bargain. It was one of the better stories.

Jim Butcher's It's my Birthday, Too was fun, Dresden realises that it's his brother's birthday, his brother is at a LARP (where I met my husband) when some vampires with a vengeance come to play. I liked this one the most.

Grave Robbed by P. N. Elrod - a vampire detective uses his powers to investigate a medium who appears to be trying to rob a widow.

The first day of the rest of your life by Rachel Caine is the story of Eve moving into the Glass House as featured in the Morganville vampires series.

The Witch and the Wicked is about a witch catering for a vampire party and vanity getting in her way, a story that makes me want to read more by Jeanne C Stein, it was a clever story.

Blood Wrapped by Tanya Huff is a story with Henry and Tom and with Vicki, or rather her birthday, featuring in the background. Justice for a missing girl is delivered.

The Wish by Carolyn Haines - A haunting story of a woman who could see death choosing not to go with death when it's her time.

Fire and Ice and Linguini for Two by Tate Hallaway features a nordic vampire and a Christmas birthday that goes badly. A different vampire features

Vampire Hours by Elaine Viets is about a woman whose ageing challenges her husband and her decision to get her revenge on him.

How Stella got her Grave back is a vampire going back to her home town and getting her grave back from a murder victim. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Apr 16, 2015 |
Fortunately I read Blood Rites (Jim Butcher) before Butcher's story, so no spoilers there. In case you haven't read the sixth book of Dresden Files, do so before the story in this collection.
I loved Grave Robbed (P.N. Elrod).
I should have skipped Vampire Hours (Elaine Viets). Depressing. ( )
  Irena. | Aug 26, 2014 |
The First Day of the Rest of Your Life - Rachel Caine - 3.5 Stars - My goodness Michael is sweet. There's nothing like a guy who knows how to cheer you up after a beyond crap day. ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Jul 7, 2014 |
absolutely loved this book. Filled with short stories about vampires? How could I not love it? Here's my review about each story:
Dracula Night - Charlaine Harris: I've read this story already in one of Ms. Harris other Sookie books. Still was worth rereading about Eric planning a party for Count Dracula's birthday.
The Mournful Cry of Owls - Christopher Golden: Very interesting twist on vampirism... owls. I wasn't sure where it was going at first but I liked the fact that we go and find out what the main character goes through her "change" of life.

For the rest of the review, visit my blog at: http://angelofmine1974.livejournal.com/73263.html ( )
  booklover3258 | Jun 7, 2014 |

Stein, Jeanne C.Contributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Viets, ElaineContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Desimini, LisaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lagerman, JudithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is dedicated to Joss Whedon, who may never read it, and his enthusiastic fans known as the Buffybuds, who will.
When we were approached about editing this anthology, we were like two kids with a new toy. (A Few Words by Charlaine Harris and Toni L. P. Kelner)
I found the invitation in the mailbox at the end of my driveway. (Dracula Night)
On a warm, late summer's night, Donika Ristani sat on a the roof outside her open widow - fat-bellied acoustic guitar in her hands - and searched for the chords that would bring life to the music she knew lay within her. (The Mournful Cry of Owls)
If you really want to hear about it, which a lot of people do, being naturally curious, you probably want to know where I was born and what I was like as a kid and how I would up living (in a manner of speaking) under a bridge and all that Catcher in the Rye kind of crap, but I just don't feel like talking about any of that right now, and anyway it's not all that interesting, to tell you the truth. (I Was a Teenage Vampire.)
Another life taken. Another year to live. (Twilight)
Anthology - Contains the following short stories

The Wish by Carolyn Haines

Fire and Ice and Linguini for Two by Tate Hallaway

Vampire Hours by Elaine Viets

How Stella Got Her Grave Back by Toni L.P. Kelner

Never-before-published vampire stories by Charlaine Harris, Jim Butcher, Kelley Armstrong, and many others.

Suspenseful, surprising, sometimes dark, sometimes humorous-these all-new stories will ensure that readers never think of vampires (or birthdays) in quite the same way again.

In New York Times bestselling author Charlaine Harris's "Dracula Night," Sookie Stackhouse is the only human at the annual commemoration of Dracula's birth. But this year, the Prince of Darkness actually shows up-and finds Sookie to be a tasty-looking present.

New York Times bestselling author Jim Butcher's crime-solving wizard Harry Dresden, of the Dresden Files novels, heads to a role-playing party to give his vampire brother a birthday present in "It's My Birthday Too," only to discover there are some bloodthirsty party crashers who don't share their brotherly love.

In "Twilight," Cassandra DuCharme, who appeared in New York Times bestselling author Kelley Armstrong's Dime Store Magic, knows she has to kill to live as a vampire another year-but finds herself disturbingly disinterested in the hunt.

Plus ten more bloody good birthday stories that take the cake.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:02 -0400)

A few words / Charlaine Harris and Toni L.P. Kelner -- Dracula night / Charlaine Harris -- The mournful cry of owls / Christopher Golden -- I was a teenage vampire / Bill Crider -- Twilight / Kelley Armstrong -- It's my birthday, too / Jim Butcher -- Grave-robbed / P.N. Elrod -- The first day of the rest of your life / Rachel Caine -- The witch and the wicked / Jeanne C. Stein -- Blood wrapped / Tanya Huff -- The wish / Carolyn Haines -- Fire and ice and linguini for two / Tate Hallaway -- Vampire hours / Elaine Viets -- How Stella got her grave back / Toni L.P. Kelner.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,599,338 books! | Top bar: Always visible