Many Bloody Returns by Charlaine Harris
Authors:Charlaine Harris
Info:Ace Hardcover (2007), Hardcover, 368 pages
Collections:Your library, Wishlist
Tags:wishlist

Many Bloody Returns by Charlaine Harris (Editor)

Fortunately I read Blood Rites (Jim Butcher) before Butcher's story, so no spoilers there. In case you haven't read the sixth book of Dresden Files, do so before the story in this collection.
I loved Grave Robbed (P.N. Elrod).
I should have skipped Vampire Hours (Elaine Viets). Depressing. ( )
  Aneris | Oct 31, 2016 |
I love these Urban Fantasy/Paranormal Romance anthology mashups focusing on themes. I have now read the one with weddings (My Big Supernatural Wedding), now here we are with birthdays.

Charlaine Harris opened the anthology with a Sookie book (be still my heart.) Oh my, Dracula Night was SO much fun. It was a delight to read an old-school style Sookie story with Eric there in all his original glory, before Harris decided to flatten with a hammer into a one-dimensional toon. Plenty of Sookie detailing her clothes and hair, Pam's wit, a freaking party at FANGTASIA, hilarious moments, and a fun ending. Loved it, even with the typo on page 1.

The Mournful Cry of Owls by Christopher Golden sometimes seemed awkwardly written, but the story itself is inventive. I guessed something with the owls - title alone! - but didn't expect in. Not a great story, but it's a passable one; it seems oddly placed in this anthology, not quite fitting, just like the character in the story.

I was a teenage vampire was cute and quirky, but not too significant and was meant more as a tongue-in-cheek kind of offering.

Twilight by Kelley Armstrong fit the birthday theme perfectly with an urban fantasy/paranormal twist. It was serious, introspective, but I had trouble holding my interest as I didn't know anything about the characters and there wasn't much action/tension.

It's My Birthday, too - was from the Harry Dresden series. I don't know if it's because it has characters I don't recognize since I'm not far in the series, or what, but I just couldn't get into this story.

Grave-robbed was in the top three for the best. Loved the storyline of breaking up a fake seance. The main character was an intriguing male vampire lead. PN Elrod writes well; curious about reading more of her work.

Speaking of the best, The First Day of the Rest of your life is the winner. I seriously have to start reading Rachel Caine novels - not only did her story win this one, it also won another anthology I read this year. Writing quite simply rocks, the main character is feisty without being obnoxous, individualized but realistic. The story of the town Morganville sounds absolutely fascinating - MUST.Read.Series.First.

The Witch and the Wicked - Look out, a witch is catering a vampire's birthday party. Awesome story because of the humor and quirkiness, all working to make a fun tale. Not particularly eventful but adorably funny - in a wicked way, of course. Really enjoyed this one, a solid 4/5. I hadn't heard of this author before; checking out more of their stuff is now a priority.

Blood Wrapped wasn't necessarily awesome because of it's story - a small, but serious mystery happening at the same time they are planning for a funny birthday, but because of the characters. I've read the five book Blood series from Huff, and her three book spinoff with Tony. It was cool to see he and Lee stayed together, although that character was not in the book. Henry is the main, which = delight.

The Wish by Carolyn Haines was more formally written than the other short stories. I could be wrong, but it seems to be a stand-a-lone short. There is a nifty twist at the end that made it worthwhile, the writing style felt stilted at first but then became beautiful, and I dig the nod toward a Grim Reaper theme.

Obviously the short story, Fire Ice and Linguini for Two must be part of some series. The characters are humorous and likeable, as is the writing style. I like the different element creature added into the mix. Birthdays may make you feel like you're cursed, but at least they can provide interesting stories as in Sebastian's case.

Vampire Hours was...awesome. Not in it's plot, but in the full force effect of "Hell Hath No Fury like a woman scorned." There's wicked revenge and redemption at the end - *evil fist pump?* - so this was a worthy, albeit different, one.

How Stella got her grave back contained not only an interesting mystery and decent characters, but the end was a great, sweet wrapup to this anthology.

Overall an excellent anthology, even better than 'My Supernatural Wedding'. Now I need to get to 'Death's excellent vacation' sometime.
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
A collection of short stories, mostly from the big guns of the paranormal romance/urban fantasy genre (Jim Butcher, Charlaine Harris, Tanya Huff, Kelly Armstrong...), all relating to vampires and birthdays. They weren't bad short stories, but after reading it last night I can't remember a single one that really interested me. Mostly I think it's because the authors are used to writing novels (and series novels, at that) and aren't used to having so little space. The other problem is most of the authors chose to use characters from their series, so I'm introduced to characters I'm supposed to already care about. Since I don't, and since I don't have any vested interest in whether Character A makes up with Character B, I was bored and frustrated with many of these stories. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
Slick, sometimes funny stories, sometimes scary. I found a couple of authors that I would be interested in reading their writings more. Great book for a birthday present ! ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
A very merry undead birthday to you..... This is a collection of short stories centering around vampires and birthday celebrations. Many of which have redeeming qualities.

My favorite had to be the one where upon her 18th birthday a young woman is forced to make allegiance to a horrendous vampire in order to live out the rest of her natural life in safety. Upon refusing to do so, her family disowns her and she finds herself running for her life and seeking shelter with a young man she barely knew in school. I'm not going to tell you the rest of the story.

The offerings are suspenseful, oft times creepy, and well written. They certainly held my attention. ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |

Huff, TanyaContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stein, Jeanne C.Contributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Viets, ElaineContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lagerman, JudithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is dedicated to Joss Whedon, who may never read it, and his enthusiastic fans known as the Buffybuds, who will.
When we were approached about editing this anthology, we were like two kids with a new toy. (A Few Words by Charlaine Harris and Toni L. P. Kelner)
I found the invitation in the mailbox at the end of my driveway. (Dracula Night)
On a warm, late summer's night, Donika Ristani sat on a the roof outside her open widow - fat-bellied acoustic guitar in her hands - and searched for the chords that would bring life to the music she knew lay within her. (The Mournful Cry of Owls)
If you really want to hear about it, which a lot of people do, being naturally curious, you probably want to know where I was born and what I was like as a kid and how I would up living (in a manner of speaking) under a bridge and all that Catcher in the Rye kind of crap, but I just don't feel like talking about any of that right now, and anyway it's not all that interesting, to tell you the truth. (I Was a Teenage Vampire.)
Another life taken. Another year to live. (Twilight)
Anthology - Contains the following short stories

The Wish by Carolyn Haines

Fire and Ice and Linguini for Two by Tate Hallaway

Vampire Hours by Elaine Viets

How Stella Got Her Grave Back by Toni L.P. Kelner

Never-before-published vampire stories by Charlaine Harris, Jim Butcher, Kelley Armstrong, and many others.

Suspenseful, surprising, sometimes dark, sometimes humorous-these all-new stories will ensure that readers never think of vampires (or birthdays) in quite the same way again.

In New York Times bestselling author Charlaine Harris's "Dracula Night," Sookie Stackhouse is the only human at the annual commemoration of Dracula's birth. But this year, the Prince of Darkness actually shows up-and finds Sookie to be a tasty-looking present.

New York Times bestselling author Jim Butcher's crime-solving wizard Harry Dresden, of the Dresden Files novels, heads to a role-playing party to give his vampire brother a birthday present in "It's My Birthday Too," only to discover there are some bloodthirsty party crashers who don't share their brotherly love.

In "Twilight," Cassandra DuCharme, who appeared in New York Times bestselling author Kelley Armstrong's Dime Store Magic, knows she has to kill to live as a vampire another year-but finds herself disturbingly disinterested in the hunt.

Plus ten more bloody good birthday stories that take the cake.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:36 -0400)

A few words / Charlaine Harris and Toni L.P. Kelner -- Dracula night / Charlaine Harris -- The mournful cry of owls / Christopher Golden -- I was a teenage vampire / Bill Crider -- Twilight / Kelley Armstrong -- It's my birthday, too / Jim Butcher -- Grave-robbed / P.N. Elrod -- The first day of the rest of your life / Rachel Caine -- The witch and the wicked / Jeanne C. Stein -- Blood wrapped / Tanya Huff -- The wish / Carolyn Haines -- Fire and ice and linguini for two / Tate Hallaway -- Vampire hours / Elaine Viets -- How Stella got her grave back / Toni L.P. Kelner.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,718,925 books! | Top bar: Always visible