Nobody's Princess by Esther Friesner

Nobody's Princess (2007)

by Esther Friesner

Alanna: The First Adventure by Tamora Pierce (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both are stories about a headstrong young woman determined to learn to fight like the boys. Nobody's Princess is an imagining of Helen of Troy's life as a teenager (more tenacity and brains, less vapid beauty) steeped in Greek mythology. Alanna is the first in a fantasy series about a young woman who disguises herself as a boy so that she can be trained as a knight. Both are great girl power reads.… (more)

ÛÏNobody‰Ûªs Princess‰Û is a fast paced story about the young Helen of Troy. If I could, I would rate it 3.5 stars. I enjoyed the fact that Helen was a strong, resourceful and independent protagonist despite being a princess and heir to the throne of Sparta. No needle work for her - instead she learns to fight with a spear, hunt deer and boar, and ride a horse. Historical fiction is one of my favourite genre and, while the characters never really developed, this book is still an entertaining read. Will hunt down the sequel. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |
I liked it for the most part. It was a little easy to read, but it is billed as a teen book and the fact that I don't have as much time as I would like makes me not mind as much. It was interesting to see Esther Friesner's interpretation of Helen as a character and her portrayal of her as a young girl. I liked this portrayal of Helen and thought she was a believable strong female character. ( )
  izzycubs932 | Jul 24, 2015 |
Young Reader Reaction: Amazing! This is a book that charms you and makes you want to laugh. I found it stunning and inspirational. The way Helen gets what she wants with all that determination and sass is admirable.

I feel like I know Helen, and am going through everything she goes through. The way it’s written just makes you feel like you’re there and you really can connect with Helen ... it’s an amazing feeling. One of my favorite scenes is when Ione spanks Helen to make it rain. The "rain" is Helen's tears. I laughed at the same time I felt sorry for Helen. It is amazing how Friesner manages to make something like that sound funny.

I can’t find any flaw in this book, other than the fact that it ends. This fun-filled, descriptive tale will keep you coming back for more. With admirable story-telling skill and a narration that makes you giggle, Nobody’s Princess is a must-read, for all ages and genders.

To read our full review, go to The Reading Tub®.
  TheReadingTub | Feb 2, 2014 |

Was inspired by

This book is dedicated to the memory of Elissa Nicole Sullivan. Through her life, she gave an eternal gift of love, Through her art, an enduring legacy of beauty.
Prologue: When I was four years old, my father, King Tyndareus of Sparta, dedicated a shrine to his favorite goddess, Aphrodite.
Part I, Chapter 1 (A Sacrifice to Artemis): I grew up with the gods all around me.

She is beautiful, she is a princess, and Aphrodite is her favorite goddess, but something in Helen of Sparta just itches for more out of life. Not one to count on the gods—or her looks—to take care of her, Helen sets out to get what she wants with steely determination and a sassy attitude. That same attitude makes Helen a few enemies—such as the self-proclaimed "son of Zeus" Theseus—but it also intrigues, charms, and amuses those who become her friends, from the famed huntress Atalanta to the young priestess who is the Oracle of Delphi.

In Nobody's Princess, author Esther Friesner deftly weaves together history and myth as she takes a new look at the girl who will become Helen of Troy. The resulting story offers up adventure, humor, and a fresh and engaging heroine you cannot help but root for.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:21 -0400)

Determined to fend for herself in a world where only men have real freedom, headstrong Helen, who will be called queen of Sparta and Helen of Troy one day, learns to fight, hunt, and ride horses while disguised as a boy, and goes on an adventure throughout the Mediterranean world.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,125,464 books! | Top bar: Always visible