Nobody's Princess by Esther Friesner

Nobody's Princess (2007)

by Esther Friesner

Recently added byrena75, tldegray, NorthStarCC, SoutheastMBLibrary, epiloguereviews, private library, GlennaO
    Alanna: The First Adventure by Tamora Pierce (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both are stories about a headstrong young woman determined to learn to fight like the boys. Nobody's Princess is an imagining of Helen of Troy's life as a teenager (more tenacity and brains, less vapid beauty) steeped in Greek mythology. Alanna is the first in a fantasy series about a young woman who disguises herself as a boy so that she can be trained as a knight. Both are great girl power reads.… (more)

Made to page 47 and I give up.

I knew this was YA and it sure sounds like it. ( )
  Elysianfield | Nov 16, 2016 |
This is a great young-adult novel, especially for young girls who know they might not fit in with what is expected of them. Culling the story of Helen from the vagaries of Zeus' whims, this re-telling has Helen as the gawky twin of beautiful Clemnestra who wants nothing better than to learn a sword like her older brothers. Interwoven into this tale is Atalanta, who teaches young Helen how to ride a horse, and the Oracle of Delphi, who is given a name and a personality. Great book for all ages. ( )
  threadnsong | Jun 18, 2016 |
A good story of Helen of Troy. ( )
  mariahsidhe | May 12, 2016 |
I really liked a short story by Friesner, "Thunderbolt," and she's apparently expanded that story into this series. Looking forward to reading it!
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
This is great! ( )
  katieloucks | Feb 26, 2016 |

Was inspired by

This book is dedicated to the memory of Elissa Nicole Sullivan. Through her life, she gave an eternal gift of love, Through her art, an enduring legacy of beauty.
Prologue: When I was four years old, my father, King Tyndareus of Sparta, dedicated a shrine to his favorite goddess, Aphrodite.
Part I, Chapter 1 (A Sacrifice to Artemis): I grew up with the gods all around me.

She is beautiful, she is a princess, and Aphrodite is her favorite goddess, but something in Helen of Sparta just itches for more out of life. Not one to count on the gods—or her looks—to take care of her, Helen sets out to get what she wants with steely determination and a sassy attitude. That same attitude makes Helen a few enemies—such as the self-proclaimed "son of Zeus" Theseus—but it also intrigues, charms, and amuses those who become her friends, from the famed huntress Atalanta to the young priestess who is the Oracle of Delphi.

In Nobody's Princess, author Esther Friesner deftly weaves together history and myth as she takes a new look at the girl who will become Helen of Troy. The resulting story offers up adventure, humor, and a fresh and engaging heroine you cannot help but root for.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:21 -0400)

Determined to fend for herself in a world where only men have real freedom, headstrong Helen, who will be called queen of Sparta and Helen of Troy one day, learns to fight, hunt, and ride horses while disguised as a boy, and goes on an adventure throughout the Mediterranean world.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,032,322 books! | Top bar: Always visible