Pollyanna Grows Up by Eleanor H. (Eleanor…

Pollyanna Grows Up (1915)

by Eleanor H. (Eleanor Hodgman)

Title:Pollyanna Grows Up
Authors:Eleanor H. (Eleanor Hodgman) (Author)
Collections:Your library, Read, Kindle Edition, For Charis' Kindle
Tags:Eleanor H. Porter, 20th century, female authors, children's literature, American authors, orphans

Pollyanna Grows Up by Eleanor H. Porter (1915)

As a child I loved Pollyanna it was one of those movies that I think my parents had to buy six or seven times because I had worn out the VHS completely. I never knew that there was a second Pollyanna and although I have read a lot of books I had never read the first one either. So I sat on my journey at a time I needed to be glad. The recent storms took my lights out this past weekend so it was a good thing my Kindle was fully charged and waking up to 100 degree weather at 5 am you find that Pollyanna gives you something to be glad about.

Enough about me and on to the book. The first part was brilliant, a recreation of the first book with a different touch and a slightly different story. As Pollyanna, sets out to help another person who again believes that they are oblivious to Pollyanna's charms you see the girl she is and the woman you hope that she will become. I also find it cute that she finds "Jamie" and "Sadie" (who eventually fall in love) a home with Mrs. Carew. As Mrs. Carew is pining over her lost nephew Jamie the story falls together brilliantly. The sad thing is that because the "Jamie" and Mrs. Carew's Jamie may not be the same person there is always a bit of doubt on whether Mrs. Carew will love her new Jamie if she finds out that he is not the old Jamie.
The second part of the book is what leaves me not giving the book five stars. There is something disturbing about the second half and I still even two days after reading the book have not figured it out. Pollyanna and Jimmy Bean-Pendleton fall in love, Mr. Pendleton falls in love with Mrs. Carew, and Sadie and Jamie fall in love. Jimmy Bean-Pendleton is the real Jamie and poor Mrs. Polly just lost her husband and has fallen on bad times because of some bad investments. The first book left me in tears this book only made me mad. Why the author chose to make Mrs. Polly a new woman of sorrow is beyond me I had honestly come to adore her after the first book. Too bad this was never a movie I may have fell in love with it also.
  Angel.Carter | Aug 11, 2016 |
Too much happiness for one person. ( )
  Glaucialm | Feb 18, 2016 |
In 1915, Eleanor Porter published a sequel to her bestseller Pollyanna. It seems that in Pollyanna grows up she wanted to retain the elements that made the original book so successful, while overhauling the story with many new elements and characters.

Overall, the plot of Pollyanna grows up seems very contrived. Towards the end of the original Pollyanna, the little girl had managed, single-handed, to turn a whole, gloomy community to happiness. Therefore, in Pollyanna grows up, the tonic of Pollyanna's infectuous optimism, must be sprinkled over a new set of gloomy characters, which she encounters on a visit, replacement of characters who die off and boarders moving into her home. Many plot situations are the inverse of elements from the original story. The story feels contrived and lacking the spontaneity of the first volume.

Although supposedly Pollyanna grows up to about the age of 20 by the end of the story, her behaviour and mindset remain largely characterised by the naivete and childishness of the original novel. The suggestion that old Mr Pendleton, aged 70 or thereabouts, might marry her, seems very peculiar.

Both volume one, Pollyanna, and volume two, Pollyanna grows up, end in a low key. Towards the end of Pollyanna, the main character is hit by a car (probably still a novelty in 1913), and by the end of Pollyanna grows up, the character Jimmy Bean is troubled by his lowly class background.

As in the original novel, Eleanor Porter, makes the oblique suggestion that people should not think too much about money, and that losing all one's money, can never be the worst thing to happen in one's life (p. 376).

While the original Pollyanna was a bestseller and inspired many people, the word Pollyanna has slipped into the language with a negative connotation as an excessively or blindly optimistic person while pol·ly·an·na·ish has come to mean unreasonably or illogically optimistic.

These negative connotations may suggest that there is a limit to how much optimism the reader can stomach. ( )
1 vote edwinbcn | May 18, 2013 |
I have to say that I didn't find Pollyanna as charming in this novel. Although Ms. Porter attempts to show that Pollyanna has become more aware of her effect on people, she comes across as unforgivably naive about the conflicting feelings of adults at a time when she is actually experiencing those feelings. And all the romantic confusions were silly. No real people would be so blind. The impact of Pollyanna's "glad game" loses it's power in this followup. Too bad. ( )
  tjsjohanna | May 3, 2009 |

Eleanor H. Porterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Imislund, BirgerCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whist, Anne-Johanne LoeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To My Cousin Walter
Della Wetherby tripped up the somewhat imposing steps of her sister's Commonwealth Avenue home and pressed an energetic finger against the electric-bell button.

1915 Edition, Sixth Impression, December 1915

Her crippled legs cured, Pollyanna takes her glad heart to cheer new friends in Boston before travelling to Europe with Aunt Polly and Dr chilton. But growing up brings sorrows as well as joys, and when she returns after six years, with Dr Chilton dead and Aunt Polly fallen on hard times, even Pollyanna has trouble maintaining her usual cheerful outlook.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:22 -0400)

Pollyanna is growing up and travelling.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,828,667 books! | Top bar: Always visible