Kindness Goes Unpunished: A Walt Longmire…

Kindness Goes Unpunished: A Walt Longmire Mystery (A Longmire Mystery) (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Craig Johnson (Author)

Member:tututhefirst
Title:Kindness Goes Unpunished: A Walt Longmire Mystery (A Longmire Mystery)
Authors:Craig Johnson (Author)
Info:Penguin Books (2008), Edition: Reprint, 336 pages
Collections:Your library, Audio books, Read but unowned
Tags:Native Americans, Wyoming, RJ PC Rip

Kindness Goes Unpunished by Craig Johnson (2007)

Somehow I seem to have missed book 2. Didn't make any difference to the storyline, everything was explained in book1, and there's been little change.

Walt visits the Big City. It doesn't turn out well - obviously otherwise there wouldn't be much in the way of a plot, but also the writing and characters don't fit in so well either. A lot of the attitudes and coincidences that just about work out in the mountain boonies, just seem a bit bizarre in a city. Anyway, the pretext is that Standing Bear has an art show scheduled and Walt thinks it's a fine plan to tag along (with Dog) and meet up with his daughter, and her new "longterm" boyfriend. Sadly before they even meet, his daughter is involved in an incident, and is rushed unconscious to hospital. Walt is torn between standing by her side, and investigating - a role he knows full well belongs to the local cops. Of course this is the same city that his assistant Vic came from, and so he quickly makes some friends who don't look unkindly on him poking about the place. It soon turns out that Walt's dislike of the boyfriend, based on nothing but prejudice, has some grounds in reality too, but when he also turns up dead Walt has to both clear his name and find out what's really going on, and how his daughter was mixed up in it all.

If you can look past coincidences, ignore the size of the city, then it's a fun little crime puzzle with a native american twist (of course). The characters and the puzzle make it worth reading if you like cosy-ish (apart from one gratuitous graphic sex scene. I'll leave you to guess who, but given the prudishness of the 1st book, it was not an unexpected exaggeration of direction), crime stories. The title is a little odd, as it seems to contradict the normal phrasing and meaning, and there isn't really much kindness around. ( )
1 vote reading_fox | Jan 20, 2017 |
As usual, Walt Longmire takes life head-on and perseveres through til the end. Even when his beloved Katie is in danger. Walter, Henry and Dog travel to Philadelphia for an Indian art and culture event and to visit Katie in her new life as a hotshot attorney. Things go horribly wrong as Katie's life is in danger.

I discovered the Longmire series after watching the TV series of the same name. My family, husband and father, enjoy the TV series so much I began checking them out on audio to share from the public library. My husband and I listen together, smile and chuckle at the same parts, and thoroughly enjoy Vic and Walt, Henry and Walt, and even Dog and Walt. Craig Johnson reminds me of Zane Grey and Louis L'Amour in his ability to bring his characters to life. He has made them human and real. They remind me of old-timey westerns where the good guys wore while hats.

Moving on to the next book in the series! ( )
  weisser4 | May 3, 2016 |
Another fantastic mystery in the Longmire series! Walt and Henry are visiting Cady in Philadelphia when she's attacked and severely injured. Walt begins an investigation on his own, uncovering a complicated and long reaching conspiracy. It was also great to see Henry back in the thick of things and it's clear that he treasures Cady as well. Vic's family added a feeling of camaraderie and the friendship that developed between Walt and Lana (Vic's mother) was touching. Vic's was as sassy and foul mouthed as ever, but I can't help but like her and her in-your-face communication skills. She always manages to make me smile. I was stunned that she pounced on Walt and hope that the relationship isn't adversely affected by the fact that they had sex. It was a very odd feeling moment in the book, but a small blip in the context of the rest of the story.

As always, the plot was well thought out and the writing flowed nicely, creating an engaging story that that I couldn't put it down. The emotion in this book (especially coming from Walt) was fantastic. I really liked the way the author shows us the depth of Walt's love for his daughter. I've come to adore all of these characters. There is so much to like about this series, so if mystery is your genre, you don't want to miss out! ( )
  Becky_McKenna | Mar 10, 2016 |
Kindness Goes Unpunished is a mystery which explores the connection between Henry Standing Bear and Walt Longmire during a family crisis - a subdural hematoma and coma suffered by Walt's daughter Cady Longmire. Walt investigates and solves the narrative of the perpetrator who toppled Cady on a flight of cement stairs, and the connected plotters who all live and work in the city of Philadelphia PA.

I would highly recommend this book. (Caveat: I always end up endeared to the characters who interact to surround Walt, the narrator, with support and love during his hard times, so I have great patience for knotty situations.) This book depicts one of the hardest times a father can have - injury and a tricky prognosis for his only child. For the reader, the interaction between Walt, the Sheriff of Absaroka County, and the Philadelphia Detective team is an example of one of these knotty problems.

The Philadelphia detectives, among whom is included Deputy Victoria Moretti's brother, dampen down Walt's progress on solving who the bad actors in this secret group of dangerous criminal entrepreneurs really are. But Walt has been implicated unofficially for a death of the most exposed perp - Cady's boyfriend - and must exonerate himself by getting evidence on the elaborate setup. This read provides a great example of thorough plot complexity, and it's worth it to the reader to follow all the threads and clues that result in the exposure of the causative chain of events for Cady's injuries. ( )
  darcette | Jan 16, 2016 |
What a great synergy there is between the story that Craig Johnson tells and the narration by George Guidall. It's getting harder and harder for me to put another book between these stories as I finish one. I like the new twists the characters take here in this one, as well as the expansion of the characters into Philly. ( )
  bicyclewriter | Jan 8, 2016 |
For the Donut, who started it all...
I didn't wear my gun.
Philadelphia, where no good deed goes unpunished... Steve Lopez, The Philadelphia Inquirer, January 15, 1995

Walt Longmire has been Sheriff of Wyoming's Absaroka County for almost a quarter of a century, but when he joins his good friend Henry Standing Bear on a trip to the City of Brotherly Love to see his daughter Cady, he's in for a shock.
Walt hasn't even put his boots up when Cady is viciously attacked and left near death on the steps of the Franklin Institute. He soon discovers that she has unwittingly become involved in a deadly political cover-up.
Backed by Henry, Dog, Deputy Victoria Moretti, and the entire Moretti posse of Philadelphia police offices, Walt unpacks his saddlebag of tricks to mete out some Western style justice.

Walt brings Western-style justice to Philadelphia in this action-packed thriller from the New York Times bestselling author of The Cold Dish and As the Crow Flies, the third in the Walt Longmire Mystery Series, the basis for LONGMIRE, the hit A&E original drama series

Fans of Ace Atkins, Nevada Barr and Robert B. Parker will love New York Times bestselling author Craig Johnson's mystery series—starring Walt Longmire, the straight-shooting sheriff of Absaroka County, Wyoming, and the basis for LONGMIRE, the hit A&E original drama series—-is attracting more and more fans with its distinctive blend of humor and action. In Kindness Goes Unpunished, Walt's pleasure trip to Philadelphia to visit his daughter, Cady, turns into a nightmare when she is the victim of a vicious attack that leaves her near death. Walt is forced to unpack his saddlebag of tricks to mete out some Western-style justice, and the result is another action-packed thriller from this star of crime fiction.
Philadelphia gets a taste of Western justice in "a series that should become a 'must' read" (The Denver Post)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:23 -0400)

Walt Longmire's third outing takes him from Wyoming to Philadelphia to investigate a brutal assault on his daughter Cady. Walt believes her ex-boyfriend is behind the crime, and searches him out. But when he turns up dead, Walt is back to square one.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,173,526 books! | Top bar: Always visible