Prisoners of the North by Pierre Berton

Prisoners of the North

by Pierre Berton

Spoilers? What could be a spoiler? This is a nutty book. The author has written many books & gotten them published but he isn't a very good writer. I think he has perseverance. The stories were pretty dull. He grew up in the Canadian northwest so he has some personal memories to draw from; for example, his mother knew Robert W. Service. The maps aren't very good, it is hard to follow the geography. It is romanticized and unreal. I don't know. I ploughed through but it didn't give me any thrill about the land.
  franoscar | Sep 12, 2011 |
The author profiles Klondike Joe Boyle, Vilhjalmur Stefansson, Lady Jane Franklin, John Hornby, and Robert Service.
  oregonobsessionz | Jan 4, 2008 |
This is one Berton book that I could not get into. I found it tedious to read. ( )
  marcLeroux84 | Oct 19, 2007 |

Canada’s master storyteller returns to the North to chronicle the extraordinary stories of five inspiring and controversial characters.

Canada’s master storyteller returns to the North to bring history to life. Prisoners of the North tells the extraordinary stories of five inspiring and controversial characters whose adventures in Canada’s frozen wilderness are no less fascinating today than they were a hundred years ago.

We meet Joseph Boyle, the self-made millionaire gold prospector from Woodstock, Ontario, who went off to the Great War with the word “Yukon” inscribed on his shoulder straps, and solid-gold maple-leaf lapel badges. There he survived several scrapes with rogue Bolsheviks, earned the admiration of Trotsky, saved Romania from the advancing Germans, and entered into a passionate affair with its queen.

We meet Vilhjalmur Steffansson, who knew every corner of the Canadian North better than any explorer. His claim to have discovered a tribe of “Blond Eskimos” brought him world-wide attention and landed him in controversy that would dog him the rest of his life.

There is John Hornby, the eccentric public-school Englishman so enthralled with the Barren Grounds where he lived that he finally starved to death there with the two young men who had joined his adventures.

Berton gives us a riveting account of the contradictory life of Robert Service — a world-famous poet whose self-effacement was completely at odds with his public persona.

And we meet the extraordinary Lady Jane Franklin, who belied every last stereotype about Victorian women with her immense determination, energy, and sense of adventure. She travelled more widely than even her famous explorer husband, Sir John. And her indefatigable efforts to find him after his disappearance were legendary.

A Yukoner himself, Berton weaves these tales of courage, fortitude, and reckless lust for adventure with a love for Canada’s harsh north. With his sharp eye for detail and faultless ear for a good story, Pierre Berton shows once again why he is Canada’s favourite historian.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:41 -0400)

Portraits of five Arctic immortals: Klondike Joe Boyle, Wilhjalmur Stefansson, Lady Jane Franklin, John Hornby and Robert Service.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,401,400 books! | Top bar: Always visible