Royal Assassin (The Farseer Trilogy) by…

Royal Assassin (The Farseer Trilogy) (original 1996; edition 1997)

by Robin Hobb

Member:BrandonSanderson
Title:Royal Assassin (The Farseer Trilogy)
Authors:Robin Hobb
Info:Voyager (1997), Paperback, 768 pages

Royal Assassin by Robin Hobb (1996)

English (57)  Dutch (2)  Finnish (1)  French (1)  All languages (61)
I was given this book as a gift several years ago and never managed to get involved in the first one (I suspect I'm just worn out on coming of age books). I picked it up again while sorting through some old books of mine and found it was a cunning, enjoyable read. You don't need the first book in the series to be absorbed. ( )
  eaterofwords | Nov 16, 2014 |
Three stars feels a bit high for this book, but I do think it was an improvement on the first in the series. Hobb tells a good story, but I've come to want more out of my reading, even my pulp fantasy reading, then just a good story.

Hobb delivers a tale w/ a very interesting look into loyalty, duty, and personal independence. These bits were almost smoothly integrated into the plot, it ended up feeling a bit didactic at points but not to the point of distraction. It helped that the didactic bits were interesting to think about.

The Molly character felt painfully underused. Her independent nature was a nice contrast to the protagonist, yet she filled a very standard girlfriend template. I was disappointed that she only appeared when the author wanted to say something about Fitz, she never was developed on her own.

In the books favor, it does wrap one up in an unfolding plot and the resolution is perfect for the middle book of a series. It had an Empire Strikes Back flavor to it that was more satisfying than yet another "underdog wins despite overwhelming odds" resolution. So props to Hobb for not taking the easy way out there. ( )
  nnschiller | Sep 18, 2014 |
I loved this series of books, and this one in particular. Robin Hobb's character development is where she really shines, and Fitz was a character I truly cared about and couldn't get out of my head. This is a good follow up to the first book, and if you enjoyed it, then you'll enjoy this one. ( )
  RoseCrossed | Jun 20, 2014 |
A bit draggy in spots, where the plot didn't catch up and there wasn't enough action. Hobb favors "telling, not seeing" to detail certain events in the kingdom, which can be very wearisome at times. Overall, when the characters actually did things and were motivated, the book picked up. Not as good as Assassin's Apprentice, but still, definitely good enough to want to read the sequel. ( )
  liveshipvivacia | Apr 26, 2014 |
This review refers to the whole Farseer Trilogy:

I read The Farseer Saga years ago and it is still one of my favorite epic fantasies. Its main strengths are its simple writing style and excellent characterization.

Robin Hobb's prose is lovely — straightforward and simple. It never calls attention to itself (and therefore away from the story). The characters are complex and believable. Fitz is my favorite fantasy "hero" and someone I came to really care about. He's not perfect, he's not beautiful, he's not a master swordsman. He's an abandoned bastard coming of age. He's insecure, he's lonely, and sometimes he broods. Not in an annoying whiny way, but in a normal, realistic way.

Things don't always go so well for Fitz. His story is heart-wrenching, and I felt emotionally drained after I finished it. But somehow, that was so satisfying.

Read more Robin Hobb book reviews at Fantasy literature. ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |

Robin Hobbprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Howe, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Santikko, SauliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Giles
And for Raphael and Freddy,
the Princes of Assassins
Why is it forbidden to write down specific knowledge of the magics?
"Het zijn kwade tijden. En ik vroeg me af of er wel ooit een eind aan zou komen. Het was een vraag die ik me in de daaropvolgende jaren nog vaak zou stellen." - FitzChevalric
in the portuguese edition the royal assassion was split between o punhal do soberano e a corte dos traidores

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553573411, Mass Market Paperback)

Young Fitz, the illegitimate son of the noble Prince Chivalry, is ignored by all royalty except the devious King Shrewd, who has had him tutored him in the dark arts of the assassin. He has barely survived his first, soul-shattering mission, and returns to the court where he is thrown headfirst into the tumult of royal life. With the King near death, and Fitz's only ally off on a seemingly hopeless quest, the throne itself is threatened. Meanwhile, the treacherous Red Ship Raiders have renewed their attacks on the Six Duchies, slaughtering the inhabitants of entire seaside towns. In this time of great peril, it soon becomes clear that the fate of the kingdom may rest in Fitz's hands--and his role in its salvation may require the ultimate sacrifice.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:26 -0400)

Fitz, crippled in his first mission as an assassin, intends to take refuge in a distant kingdom, but is drawn back to his home and the court of the Six Duchies when he learns the kingdom is under attack from outside enemies and inside traitors.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,939,940 books! | Top bar: Always visible