Royal Assassin (The Farseer Trilogy) by…

Royal Assassin (The Farseer Trilogy) (original 1996; edition 1997)

by Robin Hobb

Title:Royal Assassin (The Farseer Trilogy)
Authors:Robin Hobb
Info:Voyager (1997), Paperback, 768 pages

Royal Assassin by Robin Hobb (1996)

Recently added byJay-Freeman, DanKoboldt, cherobula, private library, hannahmck

English (63)  Dutch (2)  Finnish (1)  French (1)  All languages (67)
Hobb continues the story of FitzChivalry, the royal bastard, spy/assassin and mage (of sorts) with a novel that is frustrating in all the right ways. We engage so closely with the characters that we care when things don't go well for them -- as is so often the case in the troubled days of the Six Duchies. Hobb's worldbuilding is deceptively simple, creating a rich realm that is instantly believable. This installation, unlike the first, stays mostly within the capital of Buckeep, but the intrigues are so rich that it never feels limited. ( )
  jenspirko | Oct 28, 2015 |
Another brilliant book by [a:Robin Hobb|25307|Robin Hobb|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1397885202p2/25307.jpg]. Fitz, the protagonist, is such a well realized, three dimensional character that you instantly root for him. The horrors he goes through towards the end of this novel are truly chilling... even though I'd read it before (a decade ago!) Can't wait to go on to the third and final one - Assassin's Quest! ( )
  garethmottram | Oct 27, 2015 |
Epic!! ( )
  eenerd | Sep 29, 2015 |
This is the middle book of the Farseer Trilogy and it is very much a middle book. It begins with its central character, Fitz (FitzCivalry Farseer), still reeling from the after-effects of the near-fatal conclusion of book I and ends with him similarly struggling with the aftermath of another harrowing “near-death” experience. In between, the story goes from bad to worse.

I’m finding that Robin Hobb’s willingness to brutalize her characters sometimes exceeds my tolerance for reading about brutality. If she were any less skilled a writer or I were any less hooked on her characters, I would probably not continue. Having some foreknowledge of events based on having already read Fool’s Errand (book I of the second trilogy) made it sometimes easier and sometimes harder to read on. The brutality isn’t only physical, it’s emotional as well. The betrayals are the worst, when you find out that one of the few things you thought the character was doing right is actually wrong.

My complaints are not criticisms so much as personal reactions. Hobb is marvelously effective in doing what she does (it wouldn’t hurt so much if it weren’t so real), and many readers just eat this up, I’m sure. If I do have a genuine criticism, it’s that Fitz often doesn’t feel his age. He can be no more than sixteen, but his first person “voice” sounds like an adult. This is partly explained by the fact that he is telling the tale in retrospect, but that doesn’t account for why the other characters mostly seem to treat him like an adult and expect him to act like one when his youth and lack of experience ought to excuse his rashness and immaturity. I know that the age of majority is a cultural variable, but even so I felt the other characters’ harsh judgements of him were often out of line. ( )
  Carol_W | Sep 17, 2015 |
Take just the very first chapter of "Royal Assassin", nothing more. You will find it has more depth, truer emotions, deeper meanings, and was written with more talent then some authors manage to produce in an entire novel.

From beginning to end, I find nothing but enjoyment in Robin Hobb's work.

IvieHill | Aug 6, 2015 |

Robin Hobbprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Howe, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Santikko, SauliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Giles
And for Raphael and Freddy,
the Princes of Assassins
Why is it forbidden to write down specific knowledge of the magics?
"Het zijn kwade tijden. En ik vroeg me af of er wel ooit een eind aan zou komen. Het was een vraag die ik me in de daaropvolgende jaren nog vaak zou stellen." - FitzChevalric
in the portuguese edition the royal assassion was split between o punhal do soberano e a corte dos traidores

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553573411, Mass Market Paperback)

Young Fitz, the illegitimate son of the noble Prince Chivalry, is ignored by all royalty except the devious King Shrewd, who has had him tutored him in the dark arts of the assassin. He has barely survived his first, soul-shattering mission, and returns to the court where he is thrown headfirst into the tumult of royal life. With the King near death, and Fitz's only ally off on a seemingly hopeless quest, the throne itself is threatened. Meanwhile, the treacherous Red Ship Raiders have renewed their attacks on the Six Duchies, slaughtering the inhabitants of entire seaside towns. In this time of great peril, it soon becomes clear that the fate of the kingdom may rest in Fitz's hands--and his role in its salvation may require the ultimate sacrifice.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:04 -0400)

Fitz, crippled in his first mission as an assassin, intends to take refuge in a distant kingdom, but is drawn back to his home and the court of the Six Duchies when he learns the kingdom is under attack from outside enemies and inside traitors.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,883,877 books! | Top bar: Always visible