Royal Assassin (The Farseer Trilogy, Book 2)…

Royal Assassin (The Farseer Trilogy, Book 2) Publisher: Spectra (original 1996; edition 1998)

by Robin Hobb (Author)

6,433105942 (4.15)1 / 164
Member:susan.d
Title:Royal Assassin (The Farseer Trilogy, Book 2) Publisher: Spectra
Authors:Robin Hobb (Author)
Info:Spectra (1998)

Royal Assassin by Robin Hobb (1996)

English (101)  Dutch (2)  Finnish (1)  French (1)  All languages (105)
It's hard to say what's most disappointing. Maybe it's that the first book was quite good, a promising beginning to a series. Maybe it was the hype surrounding this series. Maybe it's that I bought the first two books and am now financially committed.
But this was not a good book.
Minor (ish) complaints: Molly had no character. She started and ended at 'love interest.' I didn't know her and consequently didn't care about her. Secondly, Regal's intents were painfully obvious. It was so easy to see what he was up to. The only real surprise was Rosemary.
My biggest complaints are the lack of plot and the ridiculous obviousness of where this was all headed. Very little happens. There's just so much sitting around Buckkeep watching the paint dry. I don't understand how Shrewd and Verity can't see what Regal is up to. They would have to be total idiots to miss it, but miss it they do. As a result, this is a painfully slow book that slides slowly and inevitably towards its predictable downer finish. ( )
  miri12 | May 31, 2019 |
Second in the trilogy - a little less dark, but still intense - a character's world is built and ripped apart. An unusual
and nice feature of this feudal society is gender equality - shown in professions, and choices of pronouns. (August 13, 2005) ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
Just as good as the last one. Fitz suffers; Kettricken is awesome (and there seem to be a few more female characters in this one, generally); the bad guy twirls his mustache. A comforting read, and because the author is a woman, I don't have to worry about problematic shit. Thumbs up. ( )
  xiaomarlo | Apr 29, 2019 |
This is Book 2 of the Farseer Trilogy, meaning it’s the middle of the story and I felt that it was noticeable, which is why I gave it four stars instead of five. At times I felt that the story dragged a touch – only slightly, in a couple of places. However, this doesn’t mean the storyline is lacking or that the characters weren’t deeply woven together. In fact, I still believe firmly that a lot could be learned by studying the way the author developed the storylines of all the characters and the plot in this trilogy.

Each time I thought to myself “enough, move on” it was almost as if the author had planned it exactly to happen in that way, because there was always a sudden change that would draw me deeper into the plot, grasp me firmer. And the plot for this trilogy is complex. There are twists and turns in the story that a reader could not believe possible. The ending of this book left me feeling somewhat disturbed, yet I had seen it coming but I still wasn’t prepared for it. I put the book down and couldn’t stop thinking about what had happened. Part of me wanted to reject it, yet another part of me embraced it wholeheartedly. It was the strangest feeling and testament that the story as a whole had an affect on me.

A good book pulls you in and holds you firmly within the storyline. For me, this story (I’m talking about book one and two) wasn’t just words on paper; it was people and places coming alive around me. Just as the characters in the book had to make alliances and fight for survival; I felt as if I was another character struggling for survival along side them. To become so absorbed by the plot and so totally bonded with the characters tells me that the author did her job well.

This book, no, this trilogy, is highly recommended.

Now, after reading and enjoying the first two books, I’m expecting a lot from the third. I hope I won’t be disappointed. ( )
  KarenLeeField | Mar 13, 2019 |
This is the single best book I've ever read. It's got everything a 5 star book should have. There are some series out there that are better than the Farseer, but I've got to put this book at the top of my list of favorites. ( )
  MDusseault | Feb 6, 2019 |

Robin Hobbprimary authorall editionscalculated
Howe, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Santikko, SauliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Giles
And for Raphael and Freddy,
the Princes of Assassins
Why is it forbidden to write down specific knowledge of the magics?
"Het zijn kwade tijden. En ik vroeg me af of er wel ooit een eind aan zou komen. Het was een vraag die ik me in de daaropvolgende jaren nog vaak zou stellen." - FitzChevalric
in the portuguese edition the royal assassion was split between o punhal do soberano e a corte dos traidores

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553573411, Mass Market Paperback)

Young Fitz, the illegitimate son of the noble Prince Chivalry, is ignored by all royalty except the devious King Shrewd, who has had him tutored him in the dark arts of the assassin. He has barely survived his first, soul-shattering mission, and returns to the court where he is thrown headfirst into the tumult of royal life. With the King near death, and Fitz's only ally off on a seemingly hopeless quest, the throne itself is threatened. Meanwhile, the treacherous Red Ship Raiders have renewed their attacks on the Six Duchies, slaughtering the inhabitants of entire seaside towns. In this time of great peril, it soon becomes clear that the fate of the kingdom may rest in Fitz's hands--and his role in its salvation may require the ultimate sacrifice.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:04 -0400)

Fitz, crippled in his first mission as an assassin, intends to take refuge in a distant kingdom, but is drawn back to his home and the court of the Six Duchies when he learns the kingdom is under attack from outside enemies and inside traitors.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,471,641 books! | Top bar: Always visible