Royal Assassin (The Farseer Trilogy, Book 2)…

Royal Assassin (The Farseer Trilogy, Book 2) (original 1996; edition 1997)

by Robin Hobb, Stephen Youll (Illustrator), John Howe (Illustrator)

6,249100944 (4.16)1 / 156
Member:AlistairM
Title:Royal Assassin (The Farseer Trilogy, Book 2)
Authors:Robin Hobb
Other authors:Stephen Youll (Illustrator), John Howe (Illustrator)
Info:Spectra (1997), Mass Market Paperback, 688 pages

Royal Assassin by Robin Hobb (1996)

English (96)  Dutch (2)  Finnish (1)  French (1)  All languages (100)
This is by far my least favorite of all of them. Fitz whines his entire way through the book and sulkily half-tries to help and makes things worse for everyone. It does get better from here, but I found this to be quite a slog. ( )
  jeninmotion | Sep 24, 2018 |
Royal Assassin is the second book in Robin Hobb’s Farseer Trilogy, the first trilogy in the larger Realms of the Enderlings series. I’m still really enjoying my re-read of these earlier books.

Without spoiling anything from the first book, it ends with the main plot threads feeling pretty well wrapped up. We don’t quite see the final resolution, but one might imagine that it will be quick and simple. This book picks up where that one left off, and we find that things aren’t as simple as we might have imagined, and there are a lot more problems to deal with.

Although this book is about 200 pages longer, it felt like a fast read. We’re past the introductory bits and there’s quite a bit going on. Things pick up especially in the second half and, unlike the first book, there’s no way to feel any sense of closure at the end. It doesn’t end with a major cliffhanger, but there are several important plot threads left dangling.

There were some parts that I found particularly annoying, mostly surrounding a character who I also disliked in my original read-through. On the other hand, there’s another character who I appreciated more on this second read with the knowledge of what’s to come. I enjoyed the rest of the characters as much as before. I’ll go into a bit more detail on these things within spoiler tags.

The tags below contain spoilers through the end of this second book, mostly related to my previous paragraph.
I liked Molly well enough in the first book, but the Molly and Fitz angst really drives me nuts in this one. I hated it the first time I read it, and I was hoping I might manage to tolerate it a little better on a second read. If anything, I think I hated it even more, probably because I already knew how things would turn out so I didn’t even have curiosity to help me through it. Fitz is still young in this book, I think maybe 15 or 16, so their behavior was probably realistic enough, but there were far more important and interesting things going on and I wished Fitz would focus on those things instead. Happily there were fewer of those scenes in the second half of the book, but there were still enough reminders to keep the annoyance from completely fading.

Nighteyes was the character I didn’t really appreciate the first time I read this. Although I had enjoyed the Wit stuff in the first book, I was more concerned about his bond with Nighteyes when I first read this book. That first time Nighteyes helps Fitz when he’s attacked by Forged ones, and Fitz loses his sense of self and fights them with his teeth like a wolf, spitting out beard and junk afterward, pretty well grossed me out. That influenced how I saw their bond, as something dangerous that might make Fitz less than he was, and so I treated their relationship with suspicion and only started to appreciate it more toward the end of the book. Now that I’m reading this book with more familiarity with Nighteyes and their bond, I was better able to appreciate Nighteyes' introduction and the development of their bond. The scenes where Fitz attacks other humans with his teeth are still gross, though!

I especially loved the scenes with the Fool. His wordplay and wit make me laugh, but we also really start to get a sense of how much depth his character has in this book.

So over-all I really enjoyed re-reading this and, like the first book, I’m giving it 4.5 stars. However, unlike the first book, I’ve decided to round this one down to 4 on Goodreads. This is mostly due to my annoyance with those particular parts I mentioned above. If not for that, this one might have been given the full 5 stars because I loved almost everything else. ( )
2 vote YouKneeK | Sep 22, 2018 |
robin why must you hurt me this way ( )
  ireneattolia | Sep 3, 2018 |
Second volume, and a lot happens (well, not that much per page, but fun nonetheless): Fitz gains confidence, but loses his girl, his King, his King-in-Waiting, his Queen-in-Waiting, and ultimately his life (-ish, no huge cliffhanger). ( )
  _rixx_ | Aug 30, 2018 |
this entire book is people rationalizing doing nothing, and being mad at others when they do something. ( )
  simonspacecadet | Jul 29, 2018 |

Robin Hobbprimary authorall editionscalculated
Howe, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Santikko, SauliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Giles
And for Raphael and Freddy,
the Princes of Assassins
Why is it forbidden to write down specific knowledge of the magics?
"Het zijn kwade tijden. En ik vroeg me af of er wel ooit een eind aan zou komen. Het was een vraag die ik me in de daaropvolgende jaren nog vaak zou stellen." - FitzChevalric
in the portuguese edition the royal assassion was split between o punhal do soberano e a corte dos traidores

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553573411, Mass Market Paperback)

Young Fitz, the illegitimate son of the noble Prince Chivalry, is ignored by all royalty except the devious King Shrewd, who has had him tutored him in the dark arts of the assassin. He has barely survived his first, soul-shattering mission, and returns to the court where he is thrown headfirst into the tumult of royal life. With the King near death, and Fitz's only ally off on a seemingly hopeless quest, the throne itself is threatened. Meanwhile, the treacherous Red Ship Raiders have renewed their attacks on the Six Duchies, slaughtering the inhabitants of entire seaside towns. In this time of great peril, it soon becomes clear that the fate of the kingdom may rest in Fitz's hands--and his role in its salvation may require the ultimate sacrifice.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:04 -0400)

Fitz, crippled in his first mission as an assassin, intends to take refuge in a distant kingdom, but is drawn back to his home and the court of the Six Duchies when he learns the kingdom is under attack from outside enemies and inside traitors.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,985,269 books! | Top bar: Always visible