Ship of Destiny (Liveship Traders Trilogy…

Ship of Destiny (Liveship Traders Trilogy Book 3) (original 2000; edition 2003)

by Robin Hobb (Author), Stephen Youll (Illustrator)

3,644522,175 (4.17)1 / 73
Member:muralijayapala
Title:Ship of Destiny (Liveship Traders Trilogy Book 3)
Authors:Robin Hobb (Author)
Other authors:Stephen Youll (Illustrator)
Info:Spectra (2003), 816 pages
Tags:fiction, eb

Ship of Destiny by Robin Hobb (2000)

English (48)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (52)
The conclusion to The Liveship Traders is fantastic. The characters are so well written and enjoyable to read. As an ending to the trilogy, it is very satisfying. ( )
  renbedell | Aug 4, 2019 |
This was the last book in the Liveship Traders series, which is the second subseries in the larger Realms of the Elderlings series.

I really enjoyed re-reading this. There were several parts that I had forgotten, and other parts had a lot more meaning to me now that I have more knowledge of the over-all story. I expect that a lot of the Rain Wilds-related stuff is laying the foundation for the Rain Wilds subseries which I haven’t read yet, so I paid extra close attention to all of that and I’m very much looking forward to getting to that point in the series.

There isn’t too much else I can talk about without spoilers, so I’m going to put the rest in tags.

Spoilers just for this Liveship Traders series:
I enjoyed all the storylines in this book. I thought the Wintrow/Vivacia/Kennit/Etta storyline got a little tedious in the last book, but they got less page time in this book and the pages they did get seemed more interesting to me. Of all the plot threads, though, I think I was always most interested in what was going on with Althea/Amber/Brashen/Paragon. I was very interested in the dragon/serpent plot thread.

If there’s one thing that really started to grate on my nerves, it was the way everybody always assumed the worst. If a character was missing, everybody assumed they were dead. If two characters were in love, there was sure to be some misunderstanding. In some cases the doubts were reasonable, but it sometimes seemed like not one of the characters had heard of optimism or hope. It got to the point where I was rolling my eyes every time some character unequivocally assumed the worst again. Reyn was convinced Malta was dead. Keffria was convinced Malta, Wintrow, and Kyle were all dead. After Kennit tried to sink Paragon, Brashen was convinced Althea was dead and Althea was convinced Brashen was dead. Reyn was convinced Malta hated him after seeing him without his veil. Malta was convinced Reyn would hate her once she saw how her appearance had changed. Brashen was convinced Althea was leaving him for the Vivacia. I’m sure I’ve forgotten a few other examples, but you get the idea! I don’t remember being bothered by all that the first time I read it, but maybe it’s a trope I’ve lost patience with over the years.

Spoilers for not only Liveship Traders, but also the next series, Tawny Man:
I loved, loved re-reading all of Amber’s scenes with the knowledge of who “she” really was. That was the best part of this series for me, even if it was a relatively small part. There were so many clues and double meanings to enjoy. One thing I noticed this time around is that there was a point after Kennit set Paragon on fire and left it to sink when he was speculating that Althea was surely dead, because he found no living or dead women on Paragon. But Amber was still on board, so I wonder if Kennit saw him and recognized him as a male.

I’m still partial to the Fitz subseries, but one thing I really like about this subseries is that the ending feels more upbeat and hopeful than those of the two Fitz subseries I’ve read. It’s also interesting to compare the effect of the perspectives used for the different subseries by the same author. With the Fitz books written in the first person, I was far more attached to the characters and invested in what happened to those characters. With the Liveship Traders written in the third person from multiple POV’s, I did care about the characters, but the attachment wasn’t as strong. On the other hand, I thought the world felt a little richer since there were so many different plots in different areas. We learned more about what was going on everywhere and saw several characters’ different perspectives on things, so it just felt like a more fully-fleshed-out world to me.
1 vote YouKneeK | Oct 31, 2018 |
Een waardig einde van de trilogie, hoewel ik me wel afvraag of het echt afgelopen is. Er is nog zoveel open gebleven voor mij.

Wie was Amber? Al de tijd had ik het gevoel dat er iets mysterious aan haar was
Hoe is het de anderen allemaal vergaan?
en meer.

Karakters hebben zich nog steeds verder ontwikkeld en personen waar ik in het begin moeite mee had, hebben zich ontwikkeld tot ware helden. Uiteindelijk bleven er niemand over om echt te haten. Zelfs Kenrit of de Sarpat niet. Er zijn piraten, draken, zeeslangen, liefdesverhalen, hartverscheurende verliezen en een adembenemend aantal verbazingwekkende personages.

Het boek was wel wat lang. Een groot aantal pagina's waren vol met feiten en dingen die al eerder geschreven waren. Een brute verkrachting was iets dat voor mij niet plaats hoeft te vinden in een fantasy werk.

Zoals al eerder gezegd, deze trilogie was vele malen beter dan de 'Boeken van de Zieners'-serie die hier aan voor af ging.

Dit was de tweede sub-serie in een reeks van 5 in de Elderling serie. ( )
  EdwinKort | Jul 4, 2018 |
What a brilliant end to the Liveship Traders trilogy! I'd forgotten quite a lot of what happens in this instalment, so I (happily) felt like I was reading it for the first time.

Ship of Destiny is a fair bit darker than the previous instalments, but the ending is very satisfying for those of us who were slightly disappointed with the abrupt finish to the Farseer series.

I love, as always, the attention that Hobb pays to character development. It's no mean feat to create a sprawling epic over 2,700+ pages featuring many characters and locations, and still impress you with the way key characters develop. The female protagonists in particular are outstanding, and the way that Kennit makes me want to both ache for him and shove him over the side of Vivacia is quite something!

I'm going to take a break from my Hobb reread for a few books to give me time to disentangle myself from the Liveships world, but I can't wait to get stuck into Tawny Man again! ( )
  mooingzelda | Jun 28, 2018 |
Such an amazing conclusion. I can't believe how I almost forgot all the major plotlines in this book; or at least it felt like it, so it was super fun to reread and find out how everything really went. Robin Hobb's writing is so good and I really enjoyed this book a lot. This trilogy is fantastic. ( )
  UDT | May 1, 2018 |

Robin Hobbprimary authorall editionscalculated
Howe, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This one is for Jane Johnson and Anne Groell.
For caring enough to insist that I get it right.
She wondered what it would have been like to be perfect.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553575651, Mass Market Paperback)

Robin Hobb concludes her nautical fantasy epic with Ship of Destiny, set in the world of her Farseer series. It lives up to its predecessors, Ship of Magic and Mad Ship in every way: the characters continue to develop, the plot moves swiftly, and the setting is vividly realized.

Again, three generations of Vestrit women are at the heart of the story. Ronica, the matriarch, stands alone against accusations that her family is responsible for the chaos that has overtaken Bingtown. She fights to uncover treachery and maintain the Trader's Council. Her daughter, Althea, sails on the disturbed liveship Paragon, hunting for Vivacia, the Vestrit's liveship, now the flagship of a pirate fleet under Kennit, who is both ruthless and compassionate. Her granddaughter, Malta, has disappeared following an earthquake in the ancient treasure city by the Rain Wild River. Her fiancé, Reyn, and her brother, Selden, are trapped while seeking her. They are rescued by the dragon Tintaglia, whom they helped liberate. Reyn asks Tintaglia's aid in finding Malta, but Tintaglia has her own urgent mission to accomplish, one which will change everything. Hobb weaves these plot threads into an exciting and satisfying conclusion. This is an original trilogy well worth reading! --Nona Vero

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:07 -0400)

Robin Hobb has established herself as one of the masters of fantasy fiction And nowhere is that more apparent than in this powerful, poignant, swashbuckling epic of treachery, heroism, and humanity. The rousing conclusion to the Liveship Traders trilogy, Ship of Destiny is the spellbinding story of a once-thriving city now reduced to shambles by raging war and rampant greed; of a glorious and mythic species on the brutal edge of extinction; and of the Vestrits, the clan, whose destiny is intertwined with both. Bingtown is a city under fire from forces within and without. While accusations of conspiracy fly between the Old Bingtown Traders and the New, invaders attack the harbor, trying to take the city for their own. Matriarch Ronica Vestrit bears witness to the destruction, but she is not the type of woman to simply surrender. Even as she finds herself branded a traitor, she searches for a way to bring all the city's inhabitants together to stand against the Chalcedean threat. But there is someone who cannot allow Ronica to succeed, no matter what the cost. Far out on the stormy seas, Althea Vestrit, ignorant of all that has befallen Bingtown, continues her mission to track down and recover her liveship Vivacia from the ruthless pirate Kennit. Serving as the Paragon's second mate under Captain Brashen, she faces peril beyond imagining ... not just from her growing love for Brashen or their reckless scheme to regain the Vivacia, but from the unpredictable vessel Paragon himself, as he wrestles with his madness and plots his own deadly brand of revenge. Yet Althea's bold scheme may be in vain. For her beloved Vivacia will face the most terrible confrontation of all as the secret of the liveships is finally revealed. This is a truth so horrifying, so shattering, it may destroy the Vivacia and all who love her, including the boy-priest Wintrow Vestrit, whose life already hangs in the balance ... A triumph of imagination and masterful storytelling, Ship of Destiny is an enthralling blend of intrigue and magic, drama and high fantasy. It is the fitting conclusion to a tale that is bound to become a classic--by a beguiling author who is already deservedly revered. From the Hardcover edition.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,315,659 books! | Top bar: Always visible