Reserved for the Cat (Elemental Masters,…

Reserved for the Cat (Elemental Masters, Book 5) (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Mercedes Lackey

8811910,071 (3.63)27
Member:Elizabelle
Title:Reserved for the Cat (Elemental Masters, Book 5)
Authors:Mercedes Lackey
Info:DAW Hardcover (2007), Hardcover, 336 pages

Reserved for the Cat by Mercedes Lackey (2007)

Recently added byangelista, private library, IgnoreTheMess, mazlynn, kaonevar, bolero, wpwhite, Sennethe, LisaSeddon

Reserved for the Cat: Elemental Masters

UNABRIDGED
by Mercedes Lackey
Narrated by Mirabai Galashan
Series: Elemental Masters, Book 5
  CroneWoman | Aug 8, 2013 |
This is my first Mercedes Lackey novel. I checked out her website and am amazed at the number of books she has written. Since this is my first reading one of her books, I cannot really compare it to her other works.

I did like the book. The story was not really held together well by the the characters but I did like the whole elemental magic part. I'm not sure if the characters were carried over from previous works or if they were solely created for this book. No one stood out as particularly deep or endearing with the exception of the villainness. You knew where she stood in her vengeance against the protagonist. She was well rounded and complete in who she was and what her ultimate goal would be. I appreciate an author who can create a character that evokes a strong response in me. The other characters were just there. Ms. Lackey even brings a last minute character in the form of a water mage who is given a bit part then disappears.

I did like her descriptions of the life of a ballet dancer (or any dancer) of that era. She was clear and concise on the many sacrifices women had to make to survive.

Ms. Lackey casted enough of a web that I am interested in her other series and will pursue them, particularly the elemental series. ( )
  NancyNo5 | Jun 2, 2013 |
Alternate Victorian,Fairytale retelling
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |
I have a weakness for this series. It's the underlying premise, I guess. ( )
  Jami_Leigh | Mar 31, 2013 |
Non-specific spoilers below.

While parts of the book were entertaining and a few of the characters endearing, one big thing kept this book at a "3" rather than a "4" or a "5."

For me, Ms. Lackey is over-fond of the villain who takes over someone else's body/life. In thirty seconds, I can think of ten of her books that have the same theme, and I'm sure there are plenty more.

With that said, it's mostly a fun read, and the horrific parts are sufficiently shuddersome without being stomach-turning. It was a nice way to while away a snowy Saturday. ( )
  Jammies | Mar 31, 2013 |

Mercedes Lackeyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galashan, MirabaiNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, Jody A.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the volunteers of the Emergency Animal Rescue Service (EARS) who are selflesslty going into disaster areas to save our best friends. http://www.uan.org
Ninette Dupond lined the toes of her pointe shoes with lambswool carefully, making sure that there were no little bits of grit or near-invisible lumps that would make themselves known in the middle of the performance.

Based loosely on the fairy tale Puss in Boots (with a penniless ballerina rather than a boy as the cat's protégé), set in late 19th century / early 20th century Blackpool (not London, as in the Amazon description).

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0756404886, Mass Market Paperback)

Based loosely on the tale of Puss in Boots, Reserved for the Cat takes place in 1910 in an alternate London. A young dancer, penniless and desperate, is sure she is going mad when a cat begins talking to her mind-to-mind. But her feline guide, actually an Elemental Earth Spirit, helps her to impersonate a famous Russian ballerina and achieve the success she?s been dreaming of. Unfortunately she also attracts the attention of another Elemental Spirit?a far more threatening one?and the young dancer must once again turn to her mysteriously powerful four-legged furry friend.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:02 -0400)

Talented but penniless dancer Ninette Dupond finds her luck changing when she meets a cat who, speaking to her mind-to-mind, orders her to impersonate a missing Russian ballerina, plunging her into the middle of a war against the darkest Elemental Spirit.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,352,133 books! | Top bar: Always visible