dismiss

Storm Front by Jim Butcher

Storm Front

by Jim Butcher

Series: The Dresden Files (1)

11,683504366 (3.79)2 / 693
A modern-day mage and consultant to the police finds his stale life suddenly enlivened by the presence of a rival in the black arts.
    Fool Moon by Jim Butcher (Siesser)
    Something from the Nightside by Simon R. Green (amberwitch, plutoempress, lookitisheef, DovSherman)
    amberwitch: A tough P.I. with a number of convenient talents making a living and trying to uncover the secrets of his own origin in the magical Nightside of London.
    plutoempress: similar style, though i (and this is my opinion) find john taylor funnier than harry dresden.
    lookitisheef: Jim Butcher and Simon R. Green both have created great supernatural male-lead detective series. I think they provide a nice balance to the girls-kick-butt series out there...don't get me wrong, I love the work of Kim Harrison and Laurell K. Hamilton (to name a couple), but it's nice to see that authors can create plausible male leads in the supernatural fiction world, too.… (more)
    Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch (majkia)
    majkia: both involve paranormal mystery and smart-ass dialog.
    Hounded by Kevin Hearne (clif_hiker, al.vick)
    Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison (cjacklen)
    cjacklen: A crime-fighting witch quits her job to become a PI. Faster pace and more addictive than than "Storm Front".
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (Polenth)
    Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko (FFortuna)
    The Man With The Golden Torc by Simon R. Green (dmacmillan, Scottneumann)
    dmacmillan: Similar in tone to Butcher's Dresden Files but bigger in scope and with perhaps an even wilder storyline.
    Libriomancer by Jim C. Hines (kqueue)
    kqueue: I found many similarities between Isaac Vainio and Harry Dresden. Both are cynical, powerful, heroes with a dark sense of humor, who are on the fringes of their official organization but are called in to save the day. Both books feature many mythical creatures, and have a good versus evil theme in a fast-paced adventure.… (more)
    Thicker Than Water (Felix Castor) by Mike Carey (BeckyJG)
    Nightlife by Rob Thurman (gluestick)
    gluestick: Brothers Cal & Niko Leandros battle monsters while on the run from Auphe.Doesn't help that Cal is half Auphe.
    Fables, Vol. 1: Legends in Exile by Bill Willingham (FFortuna)
    Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews (Strict31)
    Strict31: Lotta "urban fantasy" books out there. So many that simply stick to a formula. I was jonesin' hard for some Dresden when I stumbled across the Kate Daniels series. Like Dresden, it's a rare gem among a drawer filled with common stones. Kate doesn't spend her time on her back or pining for super-handsome creatures of the night. And she's not just an action surrogate for a male hero. There is action and there is romance. But it all fits. The series was not created to serve the needs of a genre, but rather, the needs of the character. It's a different type of storyline than Dresden, because the world has been irrevocably changed by the existence of magic. But a lot of the things I go to Dresden to get are also found here.… (more)
    The Devil You Know by Mike Carey (amberwitch, TheLibraryhag)
    amberwitch: Same noir feel, more interesting first person narrator. Lovely London descriptions.
    A Madness of Angels: Or, the Resurrection of Matthew Swift by Kate Griffin (amberwitch, questionablepotato, mysterymax)
    mysterymax: Anyone who enjoys the Dresden File series would, I think enjoy the Matthew Swift books.
    The Tomb by F. Paul Wilson (Scottneumann)
    Sweet Silver Blues by Glen Cook (MyriadBooks)
    John Constantine, Hellblazer: Dangerous Habits by Garth Ennis (Cynara)
    Cynara: I think Harry Dresden may be a distant, nicer relation of Hellblazer's John Constantine.
    Monster by A. Lee Martinez (smammers)
    smammers: If you enjoy urban fantasy with a healthy dose of sarcastic humor thrown in, you'll love these books!
    Unshapely Things by Mark Del Franco (MyriadBooks)

English (498)  Swedish (2)  German (2)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (504)
This book introduces Chicago's only wizard who happens to be in the Yellow Pages - Harry Dresden. He's down on his luck and scrambling for rent money and food money. He is also in the black books of the White Council who have a wizard following him to make sure he doesn't do any black magic.

When his friend in the Chicago Police Department - Lt. Karrin Murphy - calls him to a crime scene, he discovers that there must be another wizard in town based on the way the two people died. Looking into the crime will bring a much needed paycheck but it will also put him in danger from the White Council if he does what Karrin wants and figures out what spell was used to kill the two.

Then Harry gets another case. Monica comes to him asking him to look for her missing husband. It's not his usual kind of case but he needs the money. Somehow the missing person and the mysterious deaths are tied together and the crime boss who runs Chicago is also involved somehow as is a new street drug.

Harry is a determined investigator who runs afoul of a number of bad actors in this story. He is attacked by a giant scorpion, bludgeoned by someone who wants a lock of his hair, and is shot a couple of times. But Harry doesn't give up until he solves his two cases and clears his name with the White Council.

The story is narrated by James Marsters. Once I got used to the various sniffs and sighs and audible breathing, I enjoyed his interpretation of Chicago's public wizard. ( )
  kmartin802 | May 28, 2020 |
Actually really liked it. Good ole fashion mystery with some magic. Noice! ( )
  cgfaulknerog | May 28, 2020 |
It was OK but not as good as i expected. It might be because it was an audiobook and I'm not fond of getting novels on audiobooks. Too slow. I might read book 2 and see if I like that better. The problem I had was that parts were repetitious, such as Dresden's problem with the White Council, reason unknown. A lot of description also slowed things down, which in a read book might not have been a problem. ( )
  phyllis2779 | May 23, 2020 |
I'm not quite sure how I managed to wait so long to start this series. I will admit I wouldn't like Harry in a different situation but because the book had the feel of a smokey speakeasy his approach to viewing women suited the character. Very noir. I could almost hear the saxophone in the background. And Harry's dry, sarcasm made the book. I can't wait to read the next one. ( )
  whybehave2002 | May 20, 2020 |
  hexenlibrarian | May 19, 2020 |
Storm Front's premise is pretty slim.. But Butcher makes it work, through a combination of interesting characters, tight plotting, and fresh, breezy writing. This is definitely not deep reading, but it is a whole lot of fun.
added by Shortride | editSF Site, Victoria Strauss (Aug 1, 2000)

Butcher, Jimprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Langowski, JürgenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGrath, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Debbie Chester, who taught me everything I really needed to know about writing. And for my father, who taught me everything I really needed to know about living. I miss you dad.
I heard the mailman approach my office door, half an hour earlier than usual.
Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.
"An actual wizard?" he asked, grinning, as though I should let him in on the joke. "Spells and potions? Demons and incantations? Subtle and quick to anger?"
"Not so subtle."
I realized he'd been giving me CPR. Eww.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,451,330 books! | Top bar: Always visible