Storm Front by Jim Butcher

Storm Front (edition 2000)

by Jim Butcher

Info:Roc (2000), Edition: First Edition, Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:2012 completed, Your library
Rating:***1/2

Storm Front by Jim Butcher

Fool Moon by Jim Butcher (Siesser)
    Something from the Nightside by Simon R. Green (amberwitch, plutoempress, lookitisheef, DovSherman)
    amberwitch: A tough P.I. with a number of convenient talents making a living and trying to uncover the secrets of his own origin in the magical Nightside of London.
    plutoempress: similar style, though i (and this is my opinion) find john taylor funnier than harry dresden.
    lookitisheef: Jim Butcher and Simon R. Green both have created great supernatural male-lead detective series. I think they provide a nice balance to the girls-kick-butt series out there...don't get me wrong, I love the work of Kim Harrison and Laurell K. Hamilton (to name a couple), but it's nice to see that authors can create plausible male leads in the supernatural fiction world, too.… (more)
    Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch (majkia)
    majkia: both involve paranormal mystery and smart-ass dialog.
    Hounded by Kevin Hearne (clif_hiker, al.vick)
    Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko (FFortuna)
    Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison (cjacklen)
    cjacklen: A crime-fighting witch quits her job to become a PI. Faster pace and more addictive than than "Storm Front".
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (Polenth)
    The Man With The Golden Torc by Simon R. Green (dmacmillan, Scottneumann)
    dmacmillan: Similar in tone to Butcher's Dresden Files but bigger in scope and with perhaps an even wilder storyline.
    Nightlife by Rob Thurman (gluestick)
    gluestick: Brothers Cal & Niko Leandros battle monsters while on the run from Auphe.Doesn't help that Cal is half Auphe.
    Libriomancer by Jim C. Hines (kqueue)
    kqueue: I found many similarities between Isaac Vainio and Harry Dresden. Both are cynical, powerful, heroes with a dark sense of humor, who are on the fringes of their official organization but are called in to save the day. Both books feature many mythical creatures, and have a good versus evil theme in a fast-paced adventure.… (more)
    Thicker Than Water by Mike Carey (BeckyJG)
    The Devil You Know by Mike Carey (amberwitch, TheLibraryhag)
    amberwitch: Same noir feel, more interesting first person narrator. Lovely London descriptions.
    Dead Eye: Pennies for the Ferryman by Jim Bernheimer (enrique_molinero, gluestick)
    gluestick: Lone wolf hero.After coming back from Iraq and getting a donor eye he starts seeing ghosts. Next best thing while waiting for the newest Dresden files book.
    Unshapely Things by Mark Del Franco (MyriadBooks)
    Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews (Strict31)
    Strict31: Lotta "urban fantasy" books out there. So many that simply stick to a formula. I was jonesin' hard for some Dresden when I stumbled across the Kate Daniels series. Like Dresden, it's a rare gem among a drawer filled with common stones. Kate doesn't spend her time on her back or pining for super-handsome creatures of the night. And she's not just an action surrogate for a male hero. There is action and there is romance. But it all fits. The series was not created to serve the needs of a genre, but rather, the needs of the character. It's a different type of storyline than Dresden, because the world has been irrevocably changed by the existence of magic. But a lot of the things I go to Dresden to get are also found here.… (more)
    Sweet Silver Blues by Glen Cook (MyriadBooks)
    Among Thieves by Douglas Hulick (ow1goddess)
    The Man Who Walked in Darkness by Chris Strange (Kaczencja)
    The Man Who Crossed Worlds by Chris Strange (terriko)
    Of Saints and Shadows by Christopher Golden (Scottneumann)

English (422)  Swedish (2)  German (2)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All (428)
I absolutely love this book. I don't think I can possibly recommend it highly enough. It's well-written and engaging. The characters are interesting, the plot flows well, the voice of Harry Dresden is easy to hear in your mind and speaks with a familiar, conversational dry wit and sarcasm that I'm used to hearing in everyday speech where I live, from myself and others, and which I grew up with but perhaps dialed up a bit. One of my favorite things is that Harry Dresden is not invincible and he knows that and the readers get to really see and feel that, too. He feels very human and, as such, I find him very relatable. Which is good, since he's the main character and the person from whose point of view the book is written. I love the way that you feel like things have been finished and tied up with a neat bow at the end and it feels like you've come full circle. I wasn't disappointed by a single word of this book and I am SO glad that there are more books in this series for me to read. I'm definitely going to check them out. ( )
  madam_razz | Jan 19, 2017 |
The Dresden Files aren't high literature, but they're propulsive reading and spectacularly good fun. Jim Butcher spent many years working and honing his craft in the quest to get published, and shows a real mastery of (a somewhat mechanical form of)plotting that makes the books addictive and satisfying. Highly recommended as light recreational reading. ( )
  nurfherder | Jan 15, 2017 |
Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden is a (perpetually) down on his luck wizard for hire. Named after three popular magicians it's no wonder the guy became a wizard. First let me say that I really liked this book. Harry was a really likable character and I just felt so bad for him because the poor just couldn't seem to catch a break. He is currently a month behind rent and struggling to get work. When two jobs fall in his lap the same day it looks like things may be looking up on the money front.

The first case should be open and shut a women trying to find her husband, all signs point to a man trying to sow his wild oats. The second case is a bit much, helping the police solve two brutal murders.

Butcher is very believable in his bringing magic into chicago. It almost makes me believe there could be wizards and witches outh there. Butcher also doesn't bore us with too much back story instead sprinkling it in in a way that encourages you to keep reading.

All side characters were great and surprisingly fleshed out. My favorites were Mister, Bob and Mac. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and with the series totaling about 13 books, I know I can turn to the Dresden Series when I need to get back into reading. ( )
  NelmsTree | Dec 24, 2016 |
I was told by a couple of people to read this book and I needed to read for work (we have it, in the library I always try to read at least the first book in the series).

I throught it was an okay read. It was slow in some parts. And the romance sections could have been written a hell of lot better.

I have been told that the rest of the series gets better, so I will try the next book. ( )
  DaffiMere | Dec 24, 2016 |
The Dresden Files is one of my favorite book series. This first installment is very tightly written with excellent pacing, although it does show in places that it was written by a college student. Namely the romance. But still one of the best books I've read. ( )
  oswallt | Nov 25, 2016 |
Storm Front's premise is pretty slim.. But Butcher makes it work, through a combination of interesting characters, tight plotting, and fresh, breezy writing. This is definitely not deep reading, but it is a whole lot of fun.
added by Shortride | editSF Site, Victoria Strauss (Aug 1, 2000)

Butcher, Jimprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Langowski, JürgenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGrath, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Debbie Chester, who taught me everything I really needed to know about writing. And for my father, who taught me everything I really needed to know about living. I miss you dad.
I heard the mailman approach my office door, half an hour earlier than usual.
Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.
"An actual wizard?" he asked, grinning, as though I should let him in on the joke. "Spells and potions? Demons and incantations? Subtle and quick to anger?"
"Not so subtle."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451457811, Mass Market Paperback)

For Harry Dresden, Chicago's only professional wizard, business, to put it mildly, stinks. So when the police bring him in to consult on a grisly double murder committed with black magic, Harry's seeing dollar signs. But where there's black magic, there's a black mage behind it. And now that mage knows Harry's name.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:03 -0400)

A modern-day mage and consultant to the police finds his stale life suddenly enlivened by the presence of a rival in the black arts.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,790,644 books! | Top bar: Always visible