Storm Front by Jim Butcher

Storm Front (edition 2000)

by Jim Butcher

Info:Roc (2000), Edition: First Edition, Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:2012 completed, Your library
Rating:***1/2

Storm Front by Jim Butcher

Fool Moon by Jim Butcher (Siesser)
    Something From The Nightside by Simon R. Green (amberwitch, plutoempress, lookitisheef, DovSherman)
    amberwitch: A tough P.I. with a number of convenient talents making a living and trying to uncover the secrets of his own origin in the magical Nightside of London.
    plutoempress: similar style, though i (and this is my opinion) find john taylor funnier than harry dresden.
    lookitisheef: Jim Butcher and Simon R. Green both have created great supernatural male-lead detective series. I think they provide a nice balance to the girls-kick-butt series out there...don't get me wrong, I love the work of Kim Harrison and Laurell K. Hamilton (to name a couple), but it's nice to see that authors can create plausible male leads in the supernatural fiction world, too.… (more)
    Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch (majkia)
    majkia: both involve paranormal mystery and smart-ass dialog.
    Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison (cjacklen)
    cjacklen: A crime-fighting witch quits her job to become a PI. Faster pace and more addictive than than "Storm Front".
    Hounded by Kevin Hearne (clif_hiker, al.vick)
    Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko (FFortuna)
    The Man with the Golden Torc by Simon R. Green (dmacmillan, Scottneumann)
    dmacmillan: Similar in tone to Butcher's Dresden Files but bigger in scope and with perhaps an even wilder storyline.
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (Polenth)
    Libriomancer by Jim C. Hines (kqueue)
    kqueue: I found many similarities between Isaac Vainio and Harry Dresden. Both are cynical, powerful, heroes with a dark sense of humor, who are on the fringes of their official organization but are called in to save the day. Both books feature many mythical creatures, and have a good versus evil theme in a fast-paced adventure.… (more)
    Thicker Than Water by Mike Carey (BeckyJG)
    Nightlife by Rob Thurman (gluestick)
    gluestick: Brothers Cal & Niko Leandros battle monsters while on the run from Auphe.Doesn't help that Cal is half Auphe.
    Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews (Strict31)
    Strict31: Lotta "urban fantasy" books out there. So many that simply stick to a formula. I was jonesin' hard for some Dresden when I stumbled across the Kate Daniels series. Like Dresden, it's a rare gem among a drawer filled with common stones. Kate doesn't spend her time on her back or pining for super-handsome creatures of the night. And she's not just an action surrogate for a male hero. There is action and there is romance. But it all fits. The series was not created to serve the needs of a genre, but rather, the needs of the character. It's a different type of storyline than Dresden, because the world has been irrevocably changed by the existence of magic. But a lot of the things I go to Dresden to get are also found here.… (more)
    Dead Eye: Pennies for the Ferryman by Jim Bernheimer (enrique_molinero, gluestick)
    gluestick: Lone wolf hero.After coming back from Iraq and getting a donor eye he starts seeing ghosts. Next best thing while waiting for the newest Dresden files book.
    Unshapely Things by Mark Del Franco (MyriadBooks)
    Sweet Silver Blues by Glen Cook (MyriadBooks)
    The Devil You Know by Mike Carey (amberwitch, TheLibraryhag)
    amberwitch: Same noir feel, more interesting first person narrator. Lovely London descriptions.
    Among Thieves by Douglas Hulick (ow1goddess)
    A Madness of Angels: Or, the Resurrection of Matthew Swift by Kate Griffin (amberwitch, questionablepotato, mysterymax)
    mysterymax: Anyone who enjoys the Dresden File series would, I think enjoy the Matthew Swift books.
    Of Saints and Shadows by Christopher Golden (Scottneumann)
    The Man Who Crossed Worlds by Chris Strange (terriko)

English (367)  Swedish (2)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (372)
Harry Dresden is a diamond in the rough - multi-faceted and harder than granite. But hit him just right and he could crack in two. Actually, Harry is an extraordinarily likable guy. He almost sounds like a PI from the 1940's. But he's modern. He almost seems like the average guy next door. But he's a wizard. And when strange things happen, he's the one the police department calls on for help. But in this case, he's not only the detective, he's likely the next target while some think he's the perpetrator. With a skull who helps him with spells and a 30-pound tomcat named Mister, you got to love Harry. He shoots straight from the hip and keeps his word. Humorous moments combine with spine-tinging tension to create an action-packed mystery. ( )
  Maydacat | Jul 6, 2015 |
Six-word review: Frothy fun solving hideous magical murders.

Extended review:

I'm awarding just three stars to this book, the first of a series about a freelance wizard in private practice like a consulting detective. But they're three good stars, with room to grow. And I'll be giving the series a chance to do that.

I didn't expect very much. It's a pulpy page-turner, a lightweight fantasy-thriller with magic, spells, potions, demons, and more of the same, set in present-day Chicago. What's more, it's a bit awkwardly beginnerish, with some sitcom dialogue, cutesy repartee, and uneven exposition. The author also needs some comma therapy and a sharp-eyed editor who won't let him use the same verb two or three times within a short paragraph--a fault that occurs repeatedly throughout.

But the story is well paced and very well plotted, the main character is adequately appealing, and Jim Butcher definitely has a knack for the suspense-thriller device of putting your character into the worst situation you can think of and then making it even worse. He pulls off that feat quite a few times, and also manages some A-Team-worthy saves out of seemingly hopeless situations. Given that we suspended real-world plausibility by page two, the author has a lot of latitude; but he does appear to follow the rules of his invented world. And the book is not full of egregious errors and vocabulary gaffes.

There are some good one-liners, too. I liked this twist on a familiar cliche: "I took the keys and walked up, out of the light and shelter of McAnally's and into the storm, my bridges burning behind me." (page 311)

In sum, I enjoyed this book, and for me in the present moment it offers just about the right degree of diversion at the right pace. I've already put the second installment of the Dresden Files series on request at the library. ( )
3 vote Meredy | Jun 10, 2015 |
The Boyfriend had been trying to convince me to start the Dresden Files for almost as long as we've known each other. I kept putting it off to read other books because I was afraid I might not like it, and it happens to be the Boyfriend's all-time favorite series. Then I watched the Boyfriend devour the latest book, Skin Game, in a day, which I had never seen him do with any other book. So, I decided that I needed to know what was so great about it that the Boyfriend would spend more time reading than playing video games.

As I opened the cover, I happened to glance at one of the quotes in the praise section, which mentioned that lover's of the Anita Blake series by Laurell K. Hamilton would love this series too. That piqued my interest more since I do love Hamilton's books. While I didn't finish Storm Front in a day, that's not for lack of trying. Life got in the way. Don't you hate it when that happens?! I finished it in three days, and I now know that the Dresden Files will be one of my go-tos when I hit a reading slump. I've already got a bookmark in the second book, Fool Moon, but I've been forcing myself to wait until I could find the time to write this review as well as try to finish up some of the other books I was already in the middle of reading; otherwise, I might not ever finish them, and my blog would turn into a Dresden Files fan page. Don't worry, I won't let that happen, no matter how much love I have for the books.

Now that the Boyfriend and I have something else to geek out about together, it's a priority of mine to get everyone else to do the same. Please, PLEASE, give Storm Front a chance. I'm sure you can find it at your local public library, and if you love Urban Fantasy or the Anita Blake series, you'll enjoy reading about Harry Dresden's adventures. ( )
  ReadingWench | Jun 6, 2015 |
Good stuff! Always a good story line... with a bit of humor. ( )
  ron_vick | Jun 5, 2015 |
Storm Front was a fun read. I am glad I had seen some episodes from the TV series as I felt as though I had been dropped in the middle of the series rather than the first book. For example, there were lots of hints about Harry's mysterious past that felt as though I should know more. Still, I loved the way things tied together and the action became non-stop toward the end of the book. I like how magic apparently works in this world -- it will be interesting to see that develop. The second book is already ordered. ( )
  Jean_Sexton | May 17, 2015 |
Storm Front's premise is pretty slim.. But Butcher makes it work, through a combination of interesting characters, tight plotting, and fresh, breezy writing. This is definitely not deep reading, but it is a whole lot of fun.
added by Shortride | editSF Site, Victoria Strauss (Aug 1, 2000)

Butcher, Jimprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Langowski, JürgenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGrath, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Debbie Chester, who taught me everything I really needed to know about writing. And for my father, who taught me everything I really needed to know about living. I miss you dad.
I heard the mailman approach my office door, half an hour earlier than usual.
Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.
"An actual wizard?" he asked, grinning, as though I should let him in on the joke. "Spells and potions? Demons and incantations? Subtle and quick to anger?"
"Not so subtle."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451457811, Mass Market Paperback)

For Harry Dresden, Chicago's only professional wizard, business, to put it mildly, stinks. So when the police bring him in to consult on a grisly double murder committed with black magic, Harry's seeing dollar signs. But where there's black magic, there's a black mage behind it. And now that mage knows Harry's name.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:03 -0400)

A modern-day mage and consultant to the police finds his stale life suddenly enlivened by the presence of a rival in the black arts.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,525,499 books! | Top bar: Always visible