Storm Front by Jim Butcher

Storm Front (edition 2000)

by Jim Butcher

Info:Roc (2000), Edition: First Edition, Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:2012 completed, Your library
Rating:***1/2

Storm Front by Jim Butcher

Recently added bymbernardi, SolidSase, shaunesay, surfrider46, private library, kephradyx, Lisley25, ignomvorous, Aneris
    Fool Moon by Jim Butcher (Siesser)
    Something from the Nightside by Simon R. Green (amberwitch, plutoempress, lookitisheef, DovSherman)
    amberwitch: A tough P.I. with a number of convenient talents making a living and trying to uncover the secrets of his own origin in the magical Nightside of London.
    plutoempress: similar style, though i (and this is my opinion) find john taylor funnier than harry dresden.
    lookitisheef: Jim Butcher and Simon R. Green both have created great supernatural male-lead detective series. I think they provide a nice balance to the girls-kick-butt series out there...don't get me wrong, I love the work of Kim Harrison and Laurell K. Hamilton (to name a couple), but it's nice to see that authors can create plausible male leads in the supernatural fiction world, too.… (more)
    Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch (majkia)
    majkia: both involve paranormal mystery and smart-ass dialog.
    Hounded by Kevin Hearne (clif_hiker, al.vick)
    Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko (FFortuna)
    Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison (cjacklen)
    cjacklen: A crime-fighting witch quits her job to become a PI. Faster pace and more addictive than than "Storm Front".
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (Polenth)
    The Man With The Golden Torc by Simon R. Green (dmacmillan, Scottneumann)
    dmacmillan: Similar in tone to Butcher's Dresden Files but bigger in scope and with perhaps an even wilder storyline.
    The Devil You Know by Mike Carey (amberwitch, TheLibraryhag)
    amberwitch: Same noir feel, more interesting first person narrator. Lovely London descriptions.
    Nightlife by Rob Thurman (gluestick)
    gluestick: Brothers Cal & Niko Leandros battle monsters while on the run from Auphe.Doesn't help that Cal is half Auphe.
    Libriomancer by Jim C. Hines (kqueue)
    kqueue: I found many similarities between Isaac Vainio and Harry Dresden. Both are cynical, powerful, heroes with a dark sense of humor, who are on the fringes of their official organization but are called in to save the day. Both books feature many mythical creatures, and have a good versus evil theme in a fast-paced adventure.… (more)
    Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews (Strict31)
    Strict31: Lotta "urban fantasy" books out there. So many that simply stick to a formula. I was jonesin' hard for some Dresden when I stumbled across the Kate Daniels series. Like Dresden, it's a rare gem among a drawer filled with common stones. Kate doesn't spend her time on her back or pining for super-handsome creatures of the night. And she's not just an action surrogate for a male hero. There is action and there is romance. But it all fits. The series was not created to serve the needs of a genre, but rather, the needs of the character. It's a different type of storyline than Dresden, because the world has been irrevocably changed by the existence of magic. But a lot of the things I go to Dresden to get are also found here.… (more)
    Thicker Than Water (Felix Castor) by Mike Carey (BeckyJG)
    Dead Eye: Pennies for the Ferryman by Jim Bernheimer (enrique_molinero, gluestick)
    gluestick: Lone wolf hero.After coming back from Iraq and getting a donor eye he starts seeing ghosts. Next best thing while waiting for the newest Dresden files book.
    Sweet Silver Blues by Glen Cook (MyriadBooks)
    Unshapely Things by Mark Del Franco (MyriadBooks)
    Among Thieves by Douglas Hulick (ow1goddess)
    The Man Who Walked in Darkness by Chris Strange (Kaczencja)
    The Man Who Crossed Worlds by Chris Strange (terriko)
    Of Saints and Shadows by Christopher Golden (Scottneumann)

English (430)  Swedish (2)  German (2)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All (436)
Reads like a promising sci-fi tv show.

I docked off a star because (honestly) the writing in the first few chapters made me cringe in parts! But I was pretty much into it half way through... and by the end... hey, I found I enjoyed it! ( )
  kephradyx | Jun 20, 2017 |
It was very light reading and fun. Wizard meets Columbo/Magnum PI type private investigator. I liked the TV show so I thought I would try the series. A bit sexist and silly some of the time, but definitely a good read when you want something light or want a fun vacation book. ( )
  aliciadana | Jun 16, 2017 |
Interesting and captivating, while still managing to be hilarious. Excellent book. This is the story of Harry Dresden, the only openly practicing wizard in the Chicago Area. While investigating a missing persons case and a couple of grotesque murders, he skirts the edges and toes the line of magical society - who he is already on thin ice with.

After coming back for another re-read some years later, I have to say that this book is the embodiment of snark and sass in the best possible way. Harry's knight-in-shining-armor syndrome can kind of get on my nerves, but at the same time it manages to balance well with the multiple strong female characters that he interacts with. This book is heavy in sex, both literal and implied (it kind of essential to the plot in this case). There is also a fair amount of crude language and graphic violence. As for complexity of reading, I would call it high school level. ( )
  J9Plourde | Jun 13, 2017 |
I wasn't sure how much I was going to enjoy this, but thought i'd give it a try. I confess I'm a bit averse to the whole urban fantasy thing at the moment. Even where it isn't the dreaded 'dark romance' *shudder*, mainstream urban fantasy – as opposed to the Good Stuff like Charles de Lint, Jonathan Carroll, early Christopher Fowler – generally leaves me cold in its ubiquity and lack of originality. Yes, I know there's a whole girl-power vibe going on with a lot of it – the Kelley Armstrongs and Laurell Hamiltons – but this seems to have already been hijacked by the money making machine spotting a new segment of consumer and a lot of the female oriented urban fantasy seems to cater toward the erotica/S&M taste (which is fine if that's your thing) or the truly offensive willing victimhood of Twilight (which IS NOT ALL RIGHT).

Anyway, that's really nothing to do with Harry Dresden books, but a more general stain that contaminates, rightly or wrongly, my view of the genre. Another mental barrier I had was that I'd sat through a few episodes of the TV series, hoping it would stop being utterly banal. But you can't blame the shortcomings of a screen adaptation on the source material, as Johnny Mnemonic testifies among many others.

So, cut to the actual review. Modern day Chicago. Harry Dresden is wizard for hire; an honest to god wielder of magic who uses his talent and training as a private investigator, his speciality finding lost things. The writing flows nicely, a first person voice in the style of your classic PI novel. The set up is classic Philip Marlow; attractive woman turns up wanting Dresden to find her missing husband. Dresden is also on retainer Chicago PD, and gets a call to look into a gruesome double murder that could only have been committed by powerful magic. One of the victims works for a local mob boss, and on the way back to meet his client Dresden gets a warning to leave the case alone. Could all the threads be connected?

The writing flows well and the narrative voice is nicely laconic (I listened to the audiobook, and James Marsters does a excellent job, truly inhabiting the role in a way too few readers manage). Dresden is not a tough guy private dick in the Philip Marlowe / continental op mould; he is quite insular and self-dependent, as a good PI should be. The shadows in his past aren't the broken marriage and heavy drinking of most detectives, but centre around his magic. It is this that makes him a loner (or this is the excuse he gives, at any rate) and the shadow is that when he was young he used his magic to kill someone. Even though this was in self-defence, it means that he is being watched by the Council, a body of elders that governs the use of magic in the world, and there are some who believe he is a danger.

The world set up was one of the things that didn't quite work for me; sometimes the setting seemed to be our world, with magic existing alongside the mundane (a rare, hidden talent of which most people are unaware) but the differences jarred slightly. Dresden says he got annoyed with explaining to people that he was an actual wizard and didn't pull rabbits out of hats or perform at children's parties (I did like the humour, by the way), but the new street drug is one that gives mundanes the illusion of second sight and magical awareness; when magic gets flung around in public people flee in terror, but there are less consequences than in the aftermath of a gunfight. It seemed to me that Butcher was undecided, or possibly unclear in his own head, whether the magical world is hidden from the mundane or integrated into it – although this is the first book and perhaps the world will become more defined as the series continues.

Storm Front was a light, fun read, with decent writing and some nice, low key jokes. There were aspects of the story that could have been stronger – Butcher could easily have made more of the wider effects of the street drug which is part of the plot, and I think he needs to make more of a decision about how gritty or light the series is – but I'm definitely intrigued enough to continue with the series. ( )
  Pezski | Jun 8, 2017 |
The first book of the Dresden files totally convinced me. Basically nothing new here we haven't seen in a Hamilton or Shadowrun novel but Butcher simply knows how to write urban fantasy. This is how an Anita Blake book should look like after the first few books. I've already ordered the next volume. ( )
  TheCrow2 | Jun 4, 2017 |
Storm Front's premise is pretty slim.. But Butcher makes it work, through a combination of interesting characters, tight plotting, and fresh, breezy writing. This is definitely not deep reading, but it is a whole lot of fun.
added by Shortride | editSF Site, Victoria Strauss (Aug 1, 2000)

Butcher, Jimprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Langowski, JürgenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGrath, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Debbie Chester, who taught me everything I really needed to know about writing. And for my father, who taught me everything I really needed to know about living. I miss you dad.
I heard the mailman approach my office door, half an hour earlier than usual.
Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.
"An actual wizard?" he asked, grinning, as though I should let him in on the joke. "Spells and potions? Demons and incantations? Subtle and quick to anger?"
"Not so subtle."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451457811, Mass Market Paperback)

For Harry Dresden, Chicago's only professional wizard, business, to put it mildly, stinks. So when the police bring him in to consult on a grisly double murder committed with black magic, Harry's seeing dollar signs. But where there's black magic, there's a black mage behind it. And now that mage knows Harry's name.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:03 -0400)

A modern-day mage and consultant to the police finds his stale life suddenly enlivened by the presence of a rival in the black arts.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,067,655 books! | Top bar: Always visible