Storm Front by Jim Butcher

Storm Front (edition 2000)

by Jim Butcher

Info:Roc (2000), Edition: First Edition, Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:2012 completed, Your library
Rating:***1/2

Storm Front by Jim Butcher

Fool Moon by Jim Butcher (Siesser)
    Something From The Nightside by Simon R. Green (amberwitch, plutoempress, lookitisheef, DovSherman)
    amberwitch: A tough P.I. with a number of convenient talents making a living and trying to uncover the secrets of his own origin in the magical Nightside of London.
    plutoempress: similar style, though i (and this is my opinion) find john taylor funnier than harry dresden.
    lookitisheef: Jim Butcher and Simon R. Green both have created great supernatural male-lead detective series. I think they provide a nice balance to the girls-kick-butt series out there...don't get me wrong, I love the work of Kim Harrison and Laurell K. Hamilton (to name a couple), but it's nice to see that authors can create plausible male leads in the supernatural fiction world, too.… (more)
    Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch (majkia)
    majkia: both involve paranormal mystery and smart-ass dialog.
    Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison (cjacklen)
    cjacklen: A crime-fighting witch quits her job to become a PI. Faster pace and more addictive than than "Storm Front".
    Hounded by Kevin Hearne (clif_hiker, al.vick)
    Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko (FFortuna)
    The Man with the Golden Torc by Simon R. Green (dmacmillan, Scottneumann)
    dmacmillan: Similar in tone to Butcher's Dresden Files but bigger in scope and with perhaps an even wilder storyline.
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (Polenth)
    Libriomancer by Jim C. Hines (kqueue)
    kqueue: I found many similarities between Isaac Vainio and Harry Dresden. Both are cynical, powerful, heroes with a dark sense of humor, who are on the fringes of their official organization but are called in to save the day. Both books feature many mythical creatures, and have a good versus evil theme in a fast-paced adventure.… (more)
    Thicker Than Water by Mike Carey (BeckyJG)
    Nightlife by Rob Thurman (gluestick)
    gluestick: Brothers Cal & Niko Leandros battle monsters while on the run from Auphe.Doesn't help that Cal is half Auphe.
    Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews (Strict31)
    Strict31: Lotta "urban fantasy" books out there. So many that simply stick to a formula. I was jonesin' hard for some Dresden when I stumbled across the Kate Daniels series. Like Dresden, it's a rare gem among a drawer filled with common stones. Kate doesn't spend her time on her back or pining for super-handsome creatures of the night. And she's not just an action surrogate for a male hero. There is action and there is romance. But it all fits. The series was not created to serve the needs of a genre, but rather, the needs of the character. It's a different type of storyline than Dresden, because the world has been irrevocably changed by the existence of magic. But a lot of the things I go to Dresden to get are also found here.… (more)
    Dead Eye: Pennies for the Ferryman by Jim Bernheimer (enrique_molinero, gluestick)
    gluestick: Lone wolf hero.After coming back from Iraq and getting a donor eye he starts seeing ghosts. Next best thing while waiting for the newest Dresden files book.
    Unshapely Things by Mark Del Franco (MyriadBooks)
    Sweet Silver Blues by Glen Cook (MyriadBooks)
    The Devil You Know by Mike Carey (amberwitch, TheLibraryhag)
    amberwitch: Same noir feel, more interesting first person narrator. Lovely London descriptions.
    Among Thieves by Douglas Hulick (ow1goddess)
    A Madness of Angels: Or, the Resurrection of Matthew Swift by Kate Griffin (amberwitch, questionablepotato, mysterymax)
    mysterymax: Anyone who enjoys the Dresden File series would, I think enjoy the Matthew Swift books.
    Of Saints and Shadows by Christopher Golden (Scottneumann)
    The Man Who Crossed Worlds by Chris Strange (terriko)

English (352)  Swedish (2)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (357)
I have put off reading Jim Butcher for ages because I wasn't a fan of the cover art (seemed more geared to guys and Dungeons and Dragon's players, not that it's a problem, but it didn't seem like my cup of tea) and I didn't really know anyone that read him. I am soo mad that I waited this long to start reading him! OMG, I fell in love with this series! Hardcore. I've always been a fan of Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake series (at least the first 10, after that it got a little too smutty even for me) and Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series seems like the male equivalent of that. I listened to the audio narrated by James Marsters (aka Spike from Buffy) and I became instantly hooked. I knocked out the audio in no time at all, I couldn't stop listening (due in part to Marster's excellent narration)! I became soo absorbed in Harry Dresden's world of magic, mystery, and the dark underbelly of Chicago that I sped through it. Seriously, soo damn good! I plan on listening to the rest of the series now. Possibly the best crime noir fantasy series I've ever read. Get on it! ( )
1 vote ecataldi | Dec 14, 2014 |
I liked Harry Dresden. He's a cool wizard detective. Hell, he is the first wizard detective I have ever read about (so far). I liked the humor and the action in the book. But I was not overly captivated by the story, it wasn't a book that I devoured and when I finally finished it I had to have the next. Although I want to and I will read the rest of the series in the future. ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 11, 2014 |
Another first of a series, which I will definitely be reading more of in the near future. I'm thinking a grown-up Harry Potter here, with all his inherent talents and dealing with the messed-up real world. Absolutely refreshing and just dang fun to read. ( )
  utbw42 | Dec 8, 2014 |
I watched the Dresden Files TV series years ago, but I didn't get around to actually reading the books until recently (terrible, I know). In a way, that's great, because most of the TV plots have faded from my memory and I was able to thoroughly enjoy this book! Harry Dresden is a strong character with lots of flaws and a history that make him both fascinating and ease to relate to the reader. The plot comes across as traditional for a mystery, but nevertheless well-written and developed. I look forward to continuing this series! ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Oct 11, 2014 |
3.5* I had a lot of fun getting to know Harry Dresden and will definitely be back for more! I love the mix of fantasy and mystery. Because it was the first of the series, there was a lot of world building, so it was a bit slow in parts, but it was still a lot of fun. I'm looking forward to learning more about Harry and they myriad of secondary characters introduced too. ( )
  Bugetta | Sep 29, 2014 |
Storm Front's premise is pretty slim.. But Butcher makes it work, through a combination of interesting characters, tight plotting, and fresh, breezy writing. This is definitely not deep reading, but it is a whole lot of fun.
added by Shortride | editSF Site, Victoria Strauss (Aug 1, 2000)

Butcher, Jimprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Langowski, JürgenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGrath, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Debbie Chester, who taught me everything I really needed to know about writing. And for my father, who taught me everything I really needed to know about living. I miss you dad.
I heard the mailman approach my office door, half an hour earlier than usual.
Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.
"An actual wizard?" he asked, grinning, as though I should let him in on the joke. "Spells and potions? Demons and incantations? Subtle and quick to anger?"
"Not so subtle."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451457811, Mass Market Paperback)

For Harry Dresden, Chicago's only professional wizard, business, to put it mildly, stinks. So when the police bring him in to consult on a grisly double murder committed with black magic, Harry's seeing dollar signs. But where there's black magic, there's a black mage behind it. And now that mage knows Harry's name.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:20 -0400)

A modern-day mage and consultant to the police finds his stale life suddenly enlivened by the presence of a rival in the black arts.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,333,990 books! | Top bar: Always visible