Storm Front by Jim Butcher

Storm Front (edition 2000)

by Jim Butcher

Info:Roc (2000), Edition: First Edition, Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:2012 completed, Your library
Rating:***1/2

Storm Front by Jim Butcher

Recently added bynookbooks, slipd, TGillihan, private library, meutizi, mabs, svammel087, argotteditor
    Fool Moon by Jim Butcher (Siesser)
    Something From The Nightside by Simon R. Green (amberwitch, plutoempress, lookitisheef, DovSherman)
    amberwitch: A tough P.I. with a number of convenient talents making a living and trying to uncover the secrets of his own origin in the magical Nightside of London.
    plutoempress: similar style, though i (and this is my opinion) find john taylor funnier than harry dresden.
    lookitisheef: Jim Butcher and Simon R. Green both have created great supernatural male-lead detective series. I think they provide a nice balance to the girls-kick-butt series out there...don't get me wrong, I love the work of Kim Harrison and Laurell K. Hamilton (to name a couple), but it's nice to see that authors can create plausible male leads in the supernatural fiction world, too.… (more)
    Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch (majkia)
    majkia: both involve paranormal mystery and smart-ass dialog.
    Hounded by Kevin Hearne (clif_hiker, al.vick)
    Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison (cjacklen)
    cjacklen: A crime-fighting witch quits her job to become a PI. Faster pace and more addictive than than "Storm Front".
    Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko (FFortuna)
    The Man with the Golden Torc by Simon R. Green (dmacmillan, Scottneumann)
    dmacmillan: Similar in tone to Butcher's Dresden Files but bigger in scope and with perhaps an even wilder storyline.
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (Polenth)
    Libriomancer by Jim C. Hines (kqueue)
    kqueue: I found many similarities between Isaac Vainio and Harry Dresden. Both are cynical, powerful, heroes with a dark sense of humor, who are on the fringes of their official organization but are called in to save the day. Both books feature many mythical creatures, and have a good versus evil theme in a fast-paced adventure.… (more)
    Thicker Than Water by Mike Carey (BeckyJG)
    Nightlife by Rob Thurman (gluestick)
    gluestick: Brothers Cal & Niko Leandros battle monsters while on the run from Auphe.Doesn't help that Cal is half Auphe.
    Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews (Strict31)
    Strict31: Lotta "urban fantasy" books out there. So many that simply stick to a formula. I was jonesin' hard for some Dresden when I stumbled across the Kate Daniels series. Like Dresden, it's a rare gem among a drawer filled with common stones. Kate doesn't spend her time on her back or pining for super-handsome creatures of the night. And she's not just an action surrogate for a male hero. There is action and there is romance. But it all fits. The series was not created to serve the needs of a genre, but rather, the needs of the character. It's a different type of storyline than Dresden, because the world has been irrevocably changed by the existence of magic. But a lot of the things I go to Dresden to get are also found here.… (more)
    Dead Eye: Pennies for the Ferryman by Jim Bernheimer (enrique_molinero, gluestick)
    gluestick: Lone wolf hero.After coming back from Iraq and getting a donor eye he starts seeing ghosts. Next best thing while waiting for the newest Dresden files book.
    Unshapely Things by Mark Del Franco (MyriadBooks)
    Sweet Silver Blues by Glen Cook (MyriadBooks)
    The Devil You Know by Mike Carey (amberwitch, TheLibraryhag)
    amberwitch: Same noir feel, more interesting first person narrator. Lovely London descriptions.
    Among Thieves by Douglas Hulick (ow1goddess)
    A Madness of Angels: Or, the Resurrection of Matthew Swift by Kate Griffin (amberwitch, questionablepotato, mysterymax)
    mysterymax: Anyone who enjoys the Dresden File series would, I think enjoy the Matthew Swift books.
    Of Saints and Shadows by Christopher Golden (Scottneumann)
    The Man Who Crossed Worlds by Chris Strange (terriko)

English (370)  Swedish (2)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (375)
I have some very bad news. Please brace yourself.

Ready?

Okay.

James Marsters is not British.

I know. I know. I feel your pain. It's my pain, too.

The good news is, he's still totally crushable. Not as crushable, of course. But his so-called "real" voice is pretty awesome. I know, because I just listened to him read a whole book to me.

(That sounds as if I lured him over with my famous three-chocolate brownies, locked the doors, remembered that locking doors is pretty useless when the person you're trying to imprison is on the same side of the door as the unlocking mechanism, barred the doors with my lizards' tanks, told him said lizards were rabid and venomous and very very hungry, and told him that the price of leaving safely was to read aloud to me for several hours. I'm willing to let that impression stand.)

So: James Marsters is still worth listening to even when he's speaking in (sigh) an American accent.

Oh, and this book is pretty good, too.

And hard to classify. I want to see if my library carries it, because I want to see where they shelve it. Do you put it in the fantasy section on the grounds that the main character is a wizard, or do you put it in mystery fiction because he's a private detective who uses his magical powers to solve crimes?

I'm annoyed that I hadn't heard of this series until it was mentioned in a John Hodgman podcast, because this book is pretty much perfect. There's pretty much everything to like, and almost nothing not to.

I use those qualifiers because in this first volume, there's a teensy bit of mild-mannered sexism. Nothing to set off my really big alarms, but a couple of the little ones made some annoying noises. For instance, at the scene of a truly gruesome and obviously magically-committed crime, Harry says that he thinks the murders were committed by a woman, because they were obviously motivated by hate and "women hate better than men."

Um, yeah. When I see two people having a very separate relationship with several of the better-known internal organs, my first thought is, "Girl fight!"

That's a pretty minor incident, though; and my expert on these books swears up and down that Harry stops being this kind of hard-boiled dork in the rest of the books.

Harry Dresden is otherwise an extremely enjoyable character. He's very human. He has convincing emotional reactions to the horrors he witnesses (he's violently ill after viewing the aforementioned crime scene). He's awkward with women. He misses his mom and dad, who died when he was young. He's talented, intelligent, and very powerful, but he gets angry, impatient, and bummed out. And through it all, he has a great sense of humor.

His magical abilities are very balanced out by weaknesses, plus he's up against some seriously powerful enemies, so the story stays interesting. The world-building is awesome. And there's only one scene where the author draws things out and says, "Oh, so that's what happened. Okay. Now I get it," and then waits a page or two before telling the reader what the heck is going on. Most of the time, he shares all the information he has right away.

And every character has a skillfully tailored voice, so you can --

Oh, wait. That's only the recorded version. Which I hesitate to call the only version worth bothering with, since the book really is good enough to sit down and read on paper. Whether you're a fan of mysteries, urban fantasy, or just plain fast reads, go ahead and grab this.

Still, if you can get James Marsters to read it to you, go for that. I hear he loves chocolate. ( )
  Deborah_Markus | Aug 8, 2015 |
Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden

A wizard and an all around a nice kind of guy.

I had no idea I would enjoy this book as much as I did. Butcher created an amazing character and his writing style is smooth and seamless. This book flows from one page to the next.

What really impressed me with Harry Dresden is just how much of an ordinary guy he really is, and just how much a badass he managed to be. There was no stupid posturing, cheesy one liners or testosterone driven Neanderthalism. He even made a back duster seem cool. And considering how far back this book was written just how many clichés involving a black duster there are, that is a feat and a half.

There are not many urban fantasy series out there that take their time in a way like Jim Butcher writes, there are even less involving male main characters. The plot stretches out like a warm summer's night and you still manage to stop and smell the roses on your way to the finish line. Not a single part of it seemed rushed and all the supporting characters had a lived in feel, like they've truly lived all their lives right where they were supposed to be, and we are just simply passing by at the moment being nosey. Although this is only my first book by Jim Butcher, I already know that this is a classic series, a 'don't miss'. And I don't intend to.

It's also quite refreshing to have a guy's perspective when it comes to flirting and romance. Dresden embodies a genuinely nice guy with the odds stacked against him when it comes to women. Although by his train of thought you can clearly see that he is a full blooded male, his actions speak of his insecurities and loneliness. Not many guys out there that write like this. It's like there is some bro code that requires male characters to be limited to a certain pre written book of conduct around women. The end result is always uninspired.

Bob the skull though.... He is the best supporting character I have met in the last couple years for sure. A wiseass, horndog spirit trapped in a skul whose soul purpose (soul purpose hihihi) was to accumulate information because Wizards and tech don't mix.
  IvieHill | Aug 6, 2015 |
I couldn’t finish this. I just couldn’t. I got a few chapters in, and gave up. Maybe if it was a short story I could have persevered, but even then, it didn’t have the infuriating unintentional humor of subatomic dinosaurs.

Harry Dresden is a wizard private eye -- yes, you read that right, he’s a wizard named Harry, in a book published three years after the first Harry Potter -- in a world run by shadowy wizard councils, mafia bosses, and good-cop bad-cop tough-but-also-somehow-feminine-hot-female-cop / annoying-ugly-skeptic-male-cop duos. Sounds pretty interesting, right? But the writing was just excruciating.

I can 110% understand how this would make an engaging TV show, because -- unless some very strange choices are made -- a TV scifi hero isn’t going to spend the entire first episode monologuing about himself as things happen in the background. Since the problem is bad characterization, even a minimally engaging lead actor could make the series actually interesting.

And yeah, a lot of long series take a while to get better -- to grow their beard, as it were. I have no doubt that the later books are better… but better than this still isn’t worth it for me. ( )
  Andibook | Aug 2, 2015 |
A promising premise about a wizard detective in Chicago, but unfortunately it was like reading a paint-by-numbers set. Formulaic plot construction and stock characters. I confess I was fairly frustrated by the end. Given that it continued as a series and is listed as a bestseller, I'm curious if the other books get better. Has anyone else read this series? ( )
  louis.arata | Jul 31, 2015 |
Harry Dresden is a diamond in the rough - multi-faceted and harder than granite. But hit him just right and he could crack in two. Actually, Harry is an extraordinarily likable guy. He almost sounds like a PI from the 1940's. But he's modern. He almost seems like the average guy next door. But he's a wizard. And when strange things happen, he's the one the police department calls on for help. But in this case, he's not only the detective, he's likely the next target while some think he's the perpetrator. With a skull who helps him with spells and a 30-pound tomcat named Mister, you got to love Harry. He shoots straight from the hip and keeps his word. Humorous moments combine with spine-tinging tension to create an action-packed mystery. ( )
  Maydacat | Jul 6, 2015 |
Storm Front's premise is pretty slim.. But Butcher makes it work, through a combination of interesting characters, tight plotting, and fresh, breezy writing. This is definitely not deep reading, but it is a whole lot of fun.
added by Shortride | editSF Site, Victoria Strauss (Aug 1, 2000)

Butcher, Jimprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Langowski, JürgenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGrath, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Debbie Chester, who taught me everything I really needed to know about writing. And for my father, who taught me everything I really needed to know about living. I miss you dad.
I heard the mailman approach my office door, half an hour earlier than usual.
Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.
"An actual wizard?" he asked, grinning, as though I should let him in on the joke. "Spells and potions? Demons and incantations? Subtle and quick to anger?"
"Not so subtle."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451457811, Mass Market Paperback)

For Harry Dresden, Chicago's only professional wizard, business, to put it mildly, stinks. So when the police bring him in to consult on a grisly double murder committed with black magic, Harry's seeing dollar signs. But where there's black magic, there's a black mage behind it. And now that mage knows Harry's name.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:03 -0400)

A modern-day mage and consultant to the police finds his stale life suddenly enlivened by the presence of a rival in the black arts.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,998,886 books! | Top bar: Always visible