Storm Front by Jim Butcher

Storm Front (edition 2000)

by Jim Butcher

Info:Roc (2000), Edition: First Edition, Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:2012 completed, Your library
Rating:***1/2

Storm Front by Jim Butcher

Fool Moon by Jim Butcher (Siesser)
    Something from the Nightside by Simon R. Green (amberwitch, plutoempress, lookitisheef, DovSherman)
    amberwitch: A tough P.I. with a number of convenient talents making a living and trying to uncover the secrets of his own origin in the magical Nightside of London.
    plutoempress: similar style, though i (and this is my opinion) find john taylor funnier than harry dresden.
    lookitisheef: Jim Butcher and Simon R. Green both have created great supernatural male-lead detective series. I think they provide a nice balance to the girls-kick-butt series out there...don't get me wrong, I love the work of Kim Harrison and Laurell K. Hamilton (to name a couple), but it's nice to see that authors can create plausible male leads in the supernatural fiction world, too.… (more)
    Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch (majkia)
    majkia: both involve paranormal mystery and smart-ass dialog.
    Hounded by Kevin Hearne (clif_hiker, al.vick)
    Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko (FFortuna)
    Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison (cjacklen)
    cjacklen: A crime-fighting witch quits her job to become a PI. Faster pace and more addictive than than "Storm Front".
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (Polenth)
    The Man With The Golden Torc by Simon R. Green (dmacmillan, Scottneumann)
    dmacmillan: Similar in tone to Butcher's Dresden Files but bigger in scope and with perhaps an even wilder storyline.
    Nightlife by Rob Thurman (gluestick)
    gluestick: Brothers Cal & Niko Leandros battle monsters while on the run from Auphe.Doesn't help that Cal is half Auphe.
    Libriomancer by Jim C. Hines (kqueue)
    kqueue: I found many similarities between Isaac Vainio and Harry Dresden. Both are cynical, powerful, heroes with a dark sense of humor, who are on the fringes of their official organization but are called in to save the day. Both books feature many mythical creatures, and have a good versus evil theme in a fast-paced adventure.… (more)
    Thicker Than Water by Mike Carey (BeckyJG)
    The Devil You Know by Mike Carey (amberwitch, TheLibraryhag)
    amberwitch: Same noir feel, more interesting first person narrator. Lovely London descriptions.
    Dead Eye: Pennies for the Ferryman by Jim Bernheimer (enrique_molinero, gluestick)
    gluestick: Lone wolf hero.After coming back from Iraq and getting a donor eye he starts seeing ghosts. Next best thing while waiting for the newest Dresden files book.
    Unshapely Things by Mark Del Franco (MyriadBooks)
    Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews (Strict31)
    Strict31: Lotta "urban fantasy" books out there. So many that simply stick to a formula. I was jonesin' hard for some Dresden when I stumbled across the Kate Daniels series. Like Dresden, it's a rare gem among a drawer filled with common stones. Kate doesn't spend her time on her back or pining for super-handsome creatures of the night. And she's not just an action surrogate for a male hero. There is action and there is romance. But it all fits. The series was not created to serve the needs of a genre, but rather, the needs of the character. It's a different type of storyline than Dresden, because the world has been irrevocably changed by the existence of magic. But a lot of the things I go to Dresden to get are also found here.… (more)
    Sweet Silver Blues by Glen Cook (MyriadBooks)
    Among Thieves by Douglas Hulick (ow1goddess)
    The Man Who Walked in Darkness by Chris Strange (Kaczencja)
    The Man Who Crossed Worlds by Chris Strange (terriko)
    Of Saints and Shadows by Christopher Golden (Scottneumann)

English (416)  Swedish (2)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (421)
I was first introduced to Harry Dresden when a group of friends started excitedly talking about the series. They were batting around ideas for their next tabletop RPG game, and the game based on the books was brought up as a possibility. The series sounded amazing, and one of them loaned me the books, and after the first few pages, I was officially hooked. This isn't your average urban fantasy where the forces of evil are pitted against the dashing, good looking, hero. Harry is a down-to-earth, can't-keep-his-mouth-shut-to-save-his-life, wizard. You'll be pulled along laughing and sometimes, holding your breath, on the many adventures Harry runs into and through. ( )
  LilyRoseShadowlyn | Sep 25, 2016 |
I chose this series to begin listening to while on a road trip with my roommate and her 12 year old son. We all enjoyed the fantastic nature of the protagonist, a consulting wizard, and the plot, tracking down a magic-using murderer while also trying to dodge the paranormal equivalent of the Internal Investigations Division who want to pin the murders on Harry.

Harry is a pretty great character, flawed and dynamic, humorous and independant...the only thing I have a problem with is that he's rather misogynistic. James Marsters portrayal in the audiobook is excellent as well. His voice acting is varied and nuanced while relating the dialogue of other characters as well.

I'm quite pleased and impressed with this and will continue the series. ( )
  EmScape | Sep 12, 2016 |
I just noticed my re-listen dates on this audiobook are both at the end of August. Apparently I get in the mood for this at the end of Summer (I think that's when I originally read the paperback too.)

Storywise, the same as the paperback obviously, nothing to add there. It's far from perfect, but sets up a great world. James Marsters is perfect for Harry he has exactly the right ratio of swagger to self-deprecation, but I get the feeling this was one of his first narrations (I could go look that up but I'm having an attack of lazy.) Sometimes his phrasing is a bit weird, and he has an annoying dialectal pronunciation of the word height that grates on me for irrational reasons involving an ex boyfriend.

Luckily he improves at the same rate Butcher's writing does as the series continues (and the word height doesn't actually appear enough times to make me rip my headphones off in frustration.) So overall, a good start to the series. ( )
1 vote krazykiwi | Aug 31, 2016 |
Happy I read it! I really wasn't sure what to expect when I started listening to Storm Front. I'd heard of the TV show The Dresden Files but never watched an episode or even knew what it was about. I didn't know until recently that the show was based on a series of books.

It wasn't until I saw the newest book by Jim Butcher - a steampunk adventure - that I actually took the time to look him up. I spoke to a few folks about the Dresden series and decided to give the first one a shot. And I'm happy I did.

I truly enjoyed the magical aspects of the story and the mystery was pretty good, too. The secondary characters were interesting, although not very fleshed out, and while I didn't like everything about Harry, I found him a believable protagonist with an interesting backstory.

I'm already on the waiting list with my local library for the second audio book. ( )
  amcheri | Aug 22, 2016 |
Storm Front is the first in the Dresden Files series and sets the stage for a long-running and highly entertaining urban fantasy romp featuring a wise-cracking self deprecating wizard named Harry Dresden. Harry Dresden is a wizard by trade and sells his special gifts to help people find lost things or deal with problems that don’t quite fit within the status quo. Every once in a while Harry is recruited by the Chicago PD to help with abnormal X-file like cases. Because sometimes you just need a wizard for hire to solve problems. Karrin Murphy, lead investigator for the special crimes unit calls in Dresden to help with an investigation of a double homicide that features an extreme cardio workout - that is the heart has been magically excised from the victims chest. Harry digs his heels into the murky world of dark magic to track down the killer who seems to be able to perform impossible acts of cruelty from afar.

The first novel is a little rough around the edges, but it sets the stage for a series with quite a bit of staying power. Important characters are introduced such as, Karrin Murphy, Susan Rodriguez and John Marcone. All whom play pivotal roles as the series progresses. If you have the opportunity to listen to the audiobook, do it! James Marsters is the voice behind Harry Dresden and he brings this noir character to life. Even though I rate this novel only three stars, I still recommend a read just to get you indoctrinated into the universe. Enjoy this dark magical ride! ( )
  JechtShot | Jul 24, 2016 |
Storm Front's premise is pretty slim.. But Butcher makes it work, through a combination of interesting characters, tight plotting, and fresh, breezy writing. This is definitely not deep reading, but it is a whole lot of fun.
added by Shortride | editSF Site, Victoria Strauss (Aug 1, 2000)

Butcher, Jimprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Langowski, JürgenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGrath, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Debbie Chester, who taught me everything I really needed to know about writing. And for my father, who taught me everything I really needed to know about living. I miss you dad.
I heard the mailman approach my office door, half an hour earlier than usual.
Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.
"An actual wizard?" he asked, grinning, as though I should let him in on the joke. "Spells and potions? Demons and incantations? Subtle and quick to anger?"
"Not so subtle."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451457811, Mass Market Paperback)

For Harry Dresden, Chicago's only professional wizard, business, to put it mildly, stinks. So when the police bring him in to consult on a grisly double murder committed with black magic, Harry's seeing dollar signs. But where there's black magic, there's a black mage behind it. And now that mage knows Harry's name.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:03 -0400)

A modern-day mage and consultant to the police finds his stale life suddenly enlivened by the presence of a rival in the black arts.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,169,828 books! | Top bar: Always visible