Storm Front (The Dresden Files, Book 1) by…

Storm Front (The Dresden Files, Book 1) (edition 2000)

by Jim Butcher

9,517415304 (3.81)2 / 574
Member:Citizenjoyce
Title:Storm Front (The Dresden Files, Book 1)
Authors:Jim Butcher
Info:Roc (2000), Kindle Edition, 332 pages
Rating:*
Tags:Urban Fantasy, Magic, Audiobook, Abandoned

Storm Front by Jim Butcher

Fool Moon by Jim Butcher (Siesser)
    Something from the Nightside by Simon R. Green (amberwitch, plutoempress, lookitisheef, DovSherman)
    amberwitch: A tough P.I. with a number of convenient talents making a living and trying to uncover the secrets of his own origin in the magical Nightside of London.
    plutoempress: similar style, though i (and this is my opinion) find john taylor funnier than harry dresden.
    lookitisheef: Jim Butcher and Simon R. Green both have created great supernatural male-lead detective series. I think they provide a nice balance to the girls-kick-butt series out there...don't get me wrong, I love the work of Kim Harrison and Laurell K. Hamilton (to name a couple), but it's nice to see that authors can create plausible male leads in the supernatural fiction world, too.… (more)
    Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch (majkia)
    majkia: both involve paranormal mystery and smart-ass dialog.
    Hounded by Kevin Hearne (clif_hiker, al.vick)
    Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko (FFortuna)
    Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison (cjacklen)
    cjacklen: A crime-fighting witch quits her job to become a PI. Faster pace and more addictive than than "Storm Front".
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (Polenth)
    The Man With The Golden Torc by Simon R. Green (dmacmillan, Scottneumann)
    dmacmillan: Similar in tone to Butcher's Dresden Files but bigger in scope and with perhaps an even wilder storyline.
    Nightlife by Rob Thurman (gluestick)
    gluestick: Brothers Cal & Niko Leandros battle monsters while on the run from Auphe.Doesn't help that Cal is half Auphe.
    Libriomancer by Jim C. Hines (kqueue)
    kqueue: I found many similarities between Isaac Vainio and Harry Dresden. Both are cynical, powerful, heroes with a dark sense of humor, who are on the fringes of their official organization but are called in to save the day. Both books feature many mythical creatures, and have a good versus evil theme in a fast-paced adventure.… (more)
    Thicker Than Water by Mike Carey (BeckyJG)
    The Devil You Know by Mike Carey (amberwitch, TheLibraryhag)
    amberwitch: Same noir feel, more interesting first person narrator. Lovely London descriptions.
    Dead Eye: Pennies for the Ferryman by Jim Bernheimer (enrique_molinero, gluestick)
    gluestick: Lone wolf hero.After coming back from Iraq and getting a donor eye he starts seeing ghosts. Next best thing while waiting for the newest Dresden files book.
    Unshapely Things by Mark Del Franco (MyriadBooks)
    Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews (Strict31)
    Strict31: Lotta "urban fantasy" books out there. So many that simply stick to a formula. I was jonesin' hard for some Dresden when I stumbled across the Kate Daniels series. Like Dresden, it's a rare gem among a drawer filled with common stones. Kate doesn't spend her time on her back or pining for super-handsome creatures of the night. And she's not just an action surrogate for a male hero. There is action and there is romance. But it all fits. The series was not created to serve the needs of a genre, but rather, the needs of the character. It's a different type of storyline than Dresden, because the world has been irrevocably changed by the existence of magic. But a lot of the things I go to Dresden to get are also found here.… (more)
    Sweet Silver Blues by Glen Cook (MyriadBooks)
    Among Thieves by Douglas Hulick (ow1goddess)
    The Man Who Walked in Darkness by Chris Strange (Kaczencja)
    The Man Who Crossed Worlds by Chris Strange (terriko)
    Of Saints and Shadows by Christopher Golden (Scottneumann)

English (407)  Swedish (2)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (412)
Honestly, I wasn't sure I was going to like this, but as usual I absolutely loved it! Harry is a great well written character. I'm ready to find out what else he gets himself into! ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
As a lover of urban fantasy, I have been told over and over again to pick up this series. A lot of people call this the forerunner in the genre, but a lot of people say that it doesn't really pick up until after the sixth book, which seemed a little pointless for a series to me.

It wasn't the best urban fantasy I have read, but it was definitely a good read. As a mix between fantasy and detective novel, it keeps you hooked throughout. I agree with some reviews saying Dresden is a little flat in this book, but I would assume that you get to know him more as the books progress.

I've already picked up the next two in the series to let's see how it goes! ( )
  keyboardscoffee | May 30, 2016 |
Storm Front - Jim Butcher
audio performance by James Marsters
3 stars

So I’ve finally met Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden. I like the guy. He fights on the side of the angels (or whatever creature represents goodness and mercy in his pantheon). And he has a sense of humor; that’s important because he doesn’t seem to have much to laugh about. I laughed at Bob, Toot-Toot and Harry’s version of a worst first date. It was entertaining. I will probably listen to other books in this series if they are easily available, but I don’t feel a pressing need to follow every new title. I generally prefer my detectives to be more cerebral (the little grey cells) and I tire easily when life threatening catastrophes pile up one on another without five minutes of breathing space.
  msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
Dresden is the rare wizard who lets the public know that he is a wizard, using to barely squeeze out a living from his skills. It's rough and he's world weary. A gig as a consultant for the police when there are "weird" crimes pays the rent.

James Marsters reads the story with a voice deep with word weariness, just at you would expect Dresden to sound like. ( )
  dougcornelius | May 27, 2016 |
Three stars is a wishy-washy compromise for this book. I wanted to give it 2 stars, because I dislike the cliches and thought it was badly written; but I felt it deserved 4 stars for being a perfect specimen of its type.
If you like cheesy, supernatural noir then then this is the book for you!

The most jarring part of the story was the terrible descriptions of women. Everytime he sees a woman the narrator ruminates for a while on her sexual appeal, clothes and make up.
Other than that it was painfully predictable. What's that? A love potion? Well, I'm sure there won't be any hilarious mishaps with that whatsoever. There wasn't even a twist at the end. Turns out the killer was the obvious suspect all along (kudos to Butcher, I guess, for not using the classic noir 'twist' and revealing that the woman was the evil one all along).
But it doesn't really matter because the story is a fun romp, and endearingly lacking self-awareness. Every chapter ends with a cheesy one-liner. The hero is such a Mary-Sue that I can't help but feel that he was written by a very earnest teenager. Overall I quite enjoyed it. ( )
  Flick-Imrie | May 15, 2016 |
Storm Front's premise is pretty slim.. But Butcher makes it work, through a combination of interesting characters, tight plotting, and fresh, breezy writing. This is definitely not deep reading, but it is a whole lot of fun.
added by Shortride | editSF Site, Victoria Strauss (Aug 1, 2000)

Butcher, Jimprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Langowski, JürgenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGrath, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Debbie Chester, who taught me everything I really needed to know about writing. And for my father, who taught me everything I really needed to know about living. I miss you dad.
I heard the mailman approach my office door, half an hour earlier than usual.
Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.
"An actual wizard?" he asked, grinning, as though I should let him in on the joke. "Spells and potions? Demons and incantations? Subtle and quick to anger?"
"Not so subtle."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451457811, Mass Market Paperback)

For Harry Dresden, Chicago's only professional wizard, business, to put it mildly, stinks. So when the police bring him in to consult on a grisly double murder committed with black magic, Harry's seeing dollar signs. But where there's black magic, there's a black mage behind it. And now that mage knows Harry's name.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:03 -0400)

A modern-day mage and consultant to the police finds his stale life suddenly enlivened by the presence of a rival in the black arts.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,956,400 books! | Top bar: Always visible