Storm Front (The Dresden Files, Book 1) by…

Storm Front (The Dresden Files, Book 1) (edition 2000)

by Jim Butcher

9,381397315 (3.81)2 / 567
Member:Citizenjoyce
Title:Storm Front (The Dresden Files, Book 1)
Authors:Jim Butcher
Info:Roc (2000), Kindle Edition, 332 pages
Rating:*
Tags:Urban Fantasy, Magic, Audiobook, Abandoned

Storm Front by Jim Butcher

Fool Moon by Jim Butcher (Siesser)
    Something from the Nightside by Simon R. Green (amberwitch, plutoempress, lookitisheef, DovSherman)
    amberwitch: A tough P.I. with a number of convenient talents making a living and trying to uncover the secrets of his own origin in the magical Nightside of London.
    plutoempress: similar style, though i (and this is my opinion) find john taylor funnier than harry dresden.
    lookitisheef: Jim Butcher and Simon R. Green both have created great supernatural male-lead detective series. I think they provide a nice balance to the girls-kick-butt series out there...don't get me wrong, I love the work of Kim Harrison and Laurell K. Hamilton (to name a couple), but it's nice to see that authors can create plausible male leads in the supernatural fiction world, too.… (more)
    Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch (majkia)
    majkia: both involve paranormal mystery and smart-ass dialog.
    Hounded by Kevin Hearne (clif_hiker, al.vick)
    Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko (FFortuna)
    Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison (cjacklen)
    cjacklen: A crime-fighting witch quits her job to become a PI. Faster pace and more addictive than than "Storm Front".
    Neverwhere: A Novel by Neil Gaiman (Polenth)
    The Man With The Golden Torc by Simon R. Green (dmacmillan, Scottneumann)
    dmacmillan: Similar in tone to Butcher's Dresden Files but bigger in scope and with perhaps an even wilder storyline.
    Nightlife by Rob Thurman (gluestick)
    gluestick: Brothers Cal & Niko Leandros battle monsters while on the run from Auphe.Doesn't help that Cal is half Auphe.
    Libriomancer by Jim C. Hines (kqueue)
    kqueue: I found many similarities between Isaac Vainio and Harry Dresden. Both are cynical, powerful, heroes with a dark sense of humor, who are on the fringes of their official organization but are called in to save the day. Both books feature many mythical creatures, and have a good versus evil theme in a fast-paced adventure.… (more)
    Thicker Than Water by Mike Carey (BeckyJG)
    The Devil You Know by Mike Carey (amberwitch, TheLibraryhag)
    amberwitch: Same noir feel, more interesting first person narrator. Lovely London descriptions.
    Dead Eye: Pennies for the Ferryman by Jim Bernheimer (enrique_molinero, gluestick)
    gluestick: Lone wolf hero.After coming back from Iraq and getting a donor eye he starts seeing ghosts. Next best thing while waiting for the newest Dresden files book.
    Unshapely Things by Mark Del Franco (MyriadBooks)
    Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews (Strict31)
    Strict31: Lotta "urban fantasy" books out there. So many that simply stick to a formula. I was jonesin' hard for some Dresden when I stumbled across the Kate Daniels series. Like Dresden, it's a rare gem among a drawer filled with common stones. Kate doesn't spend her time on her back or pining for super-handsome creatures of the night. And she's not just an action surrogate for a male hero. There is action and there is romance. But it all fits. The series was not created to serve the needs of a genre, but rather, the needs of the character. It's a different type of storyline than Dresden, because the world has been irrevocably changed by the existence of magic. But a lot of the things I go to Dresden to get are also found here.… (more)
    Sweet Silver Blues by Glen Cook (MyriadBooks)
    Among Thieves by Douglas Hulick (ow1goddess)
    The Man Who Walked in Darkness by Chris Strange (Kaczencja)
    The Man Who Crossed Worlds by Chris Strange (terriko)
    Of Saints and Shadows by Christopher Golden (Scottneumann)

English (391)  Swedish (2)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (396)
I liked Harry Dresden. He's a cool wizard detective. Hell, he is the first wizard detective I have ever read about (so far). I liked the humor and the action in the book. But I was not overly captivated by the story, it wasn't a book that I devoured and when I finally finished it I had to have the next. Although I want to and I will read the rest of the series in the future. ( )
  DariaZav | Feb 9, 2016 |
Solid story. I would have liked a little more action and would have given it 4 stars. ( )
  beertraveler | Feb 5, 2016 |
This was a re-read of an old favorite, probably about 10 years after I had read it the first time. I think it stands up well. Harry is likable right from the start, even when getting himself in trouble. It was nice to go back and relive the beginning of the story, before the plot (and Harry's life) got so complicated, and the cast of characters became so large. I did have a little laugh at a bit of plot that worked then but probably wouldn't work now, but other than that I enjoyed it just as much as I did the first time. ( )
  duchessjlh | Feb 4, 2016 |
Harry Dresden shares a first name and a profession (wizard) with Harry Potter, but the resemblance ends there. Dresden lives and works in Chicago, where he is a special consultant to the police force when they are faced with an “unusual” crime. Can’t get more unusual than two people killed “in the act” when their hearts exploded out of their chests. He also has problems with the White Council. He’s on “probation” for violations of the laws of magic and his “warden” suspects that Harry’s the one who committed the murder. To further complicate matters, one of the victims was the right-hand-man for Chicago’s crime boss, who would prefer that Harry stay out of the investigation.

I have to admit that this kind of novel is out of my usual comfort zone. Yes, I read mysteries, but wizards, and demons and vampires? Just not my thing. But I can suspend disbelief with the best of them – especially when the author is as talented as Butcher is in creating a world that is logical, a plot that flows, tension that adds to the drama, and just enough humor to keep my stomach from turning at the gore. And there IS gore – it’s a dark world that Dresden inhabits and Butcher is not shy about exploring it. I’d be willing to read more of this series. ( )
  BookConcierge | Feb 1, 2016 |
I enjoyed the first novel in the series because I really liked the idea of P.I./Magician mix, and the fact that the main character was constantly struggling and far from uber-powerful. Sadly, all these elements were downplayed in the subsequent titles (i.e. he quickly become an uberpowerful magician forgetting his P.I. stuff). ( )
  pamar | Jan 31, 2016 |
Storm Front's premise is pretty slim.. But Butcher makes it work, through a combination of interesting characters, tight plotting, and fresh, breezy writing. This is definitely not deep reading, but it is a whole lot of fun.
added by Shortride | editSF Site, Victoria Strauss (Aug 1, 2000)

Butcher, Jimprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Langowski, JürgenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGrath, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Debbie Chester, who taught me everything I really needed to know about writing. And for my father, who taught me everything I really needed to know about living. I miss you dad.
I heard the mailman approach my office door, half an hour earlier than usual.
Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.
"An actual wizard?" he asked, grinning, as though I should let him in on the joke. "Spells and potions? Demons and incantations? Subtle and quick to anger?"
"Not so subtle."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451457811, Mass Market Paperback)

For Harry Dresden, Chicago's only professional wizard, business, to put it mildly, stinks. So when the police bring him in to consult on a grisly double murder committed with black magic, Harry's seeing dollar signs. But where there's black magic, there's a black mage behind it. And now that mage knows Harry's name.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:03 -0400)

A modern-day mage and consultant to the police finds his stale life suddenly enlivened by the presence of a rival in the black arts.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,140,922 books! | Top bar: Always visible