Storm Front (The Dresden Files, Book 1) by…

Storm Front (The Dresden Files, Book 1) (edition 2000)

by Jim Butcher

9,825423292 (3.8)2 / 590
Member:mrko
Title:Storm Front (The Dresden Files, Book 1)
Authors:Jim Butcher
Info:Roc (2000), Edition: First Edition, Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Rating:**1/2
Tags:detective, urban fantasy

Storm Front by Jim Butcher

Recently added byYM2000, private library, MeggyH, daisywreath, ptree, Pablo_Aimat, Keelz09, drachenbraut23, RachelLeah
    Fool Moon by Jim Butcher (Siesser)
    Something from the Nightside by Simon R. Green (amberwitch, plutoempress, lookitisheef, DovSherman)
    amberwitch: A tough P.I. with a number of convenient talents making a living and trying to uncover the secrets of his own origin in the magical Nightside of London.
    plutoempress: similar style, though i (and this is my opinion) find john taylor funnier than harry dresden.
    lookitisheef: Jim Butcher and Simon R. Green both have created great supernatural male-lead detective series. I think they provide a nice balance to the girls-kick-butt series out there...don't get me wrong, I love the work of Kim Harrison and Laurell K. Hamilton (to name a couple), but it's nice to see that authors can create plausible male leads in the supernatural fiction world, too.… (more)
    Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch (majkia)
    majkia: both involve paranormal mystery and smart-ass dialog.
    Hounded by Kevin Hearne (clif_hiker, al.vick)
    Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko (FFortuna)
    Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison (cjacklen)
    cjacklen: A crime-fighting witch quits her job to become a PI. Faster pace and more addictive than than "Storm Front".
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (Polenth)
    The Man With The Golden Torc by Simon R. Green (dmacmillan, Scottneumann)
    dmacmillan: Similar in tone to Butcher's Dresden Files but bigger in scope and with perhaps an even wilder storyline.
    Nightlife by Rob Thurman (gluestick)
    gluestick: Brothers Cal & Niko Leandros battle monsters while on the run from Auphe.Doesn't help that Cal is half Auphe.
    Libriomancer by Jim C. Hines (kqueue)
    kqueue: I found many similarities between Isaac Vainio and Harry Dresden. Both are cynical, powerful, heroes with a dark sense of humor, who are on the fringes of their official organization but are called in to save the day. Both books feature many mythical creatures, and have a good versus evil theme in a fast-paced adventure.… (more)
    Thicker Than Water by Mike Carey (BeckyJG)
    The Devil You Know by Mike Carey (amberwitch, TheLibraryhag)
    amberwitch: Same noir feel, more interesting first person narrator. Lovely London descriptions.
    Dead Eye: Pennies for the Ferryman by Jim Bernheimer (enrique_molinero, gluestick)
    gluestick: Lone wolf hero.After coming back from Iraq and getting a donor eye he starts seeing ghosts. Next best thing while waiting for the newest Dresden files book.
    Unshapely Things by Mark Del Franco (MyriadBooks)
    Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews (Strict31)
    Strict31: Lotta "urban fantasy" books out there. So many that simply stick to a formula. I was jonesin' hard for some Dresden when I stumbled across the Kate Daniels series. Like Dresden, it's a rare gem among a drawer filled with common stones. Kate doesn't spend her time on her back or pining for super-handsome creatures of the night. And she's not just an action surrogate for a male hero. There is action and there is romance. But it all fits. The series was not created to serve the needs of a genre, but rather, the needs of the character. It's a different type of storyline than Dresden, because the world has been irrevocably changed by the existence of magic. But a lot of the things I go to Dresden to get are also found here.… (more)
    Sweet Silver Blues by Glen Cook (MyriadBooks)
    Among Thieves by Douglas Hulick (ow1goddess)
    The Man Who Walked in Darkness by Chris Strange (Kaczencja)
    The Man Who Crossed Worlds by Chris Strange (terriko)
    Of Saints and Shadows by Christopher Golden (Scottneumann)

English (418)  Swedish (2)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  English (423)
The Dresden Files is one of my favorite book series. This first installment is very tightly written with excellent pacing, although it does show in places that it was written by a college student. Namely the romance. But still one of the best books I've read. ( )
  oswallt | Nov 25, 2016 |
Storm Front
3.5 Stars

James Master's narration is good overall although his female voices are only so-so (I understand that this is an issue for male narrators in general). He also does this funny thing with his breathing so he sounds like he's sighing a lot - you get used to it though.

There is a great deal of world building, which makes the pacing a little slow. Nevertheless, the workings of magic are well-defined and detailed, if somewhat lacking in originality (think Harry Potter as a thirty something). The film noir atmosphere is unusual but appropriate to the tone of the character and the mystery.

The mystery has potential but Dresden's detective skills are not the best and he seems to wait around until the clues fall into his lap rather than being proactive. That said, the action scenes are fast paced and keep you engaged in the storyline. Unfortunately, the identity of the villain becomes obvious just over halfway through and the resolution is predictable.

The characterization is the best aspect of the book. Bob the talking skull with a one-track mind, Toot the fairy with a food obsession, Murphy the no-nonsense policewoman with a soft spot for Harry, Susan the tenacious reporter who has no qualms using her feminine wiles on Harry in order to get her scoop, and Morgan the White Council's warden who hopes with every fiber of his being to catch Harry in the act of committing some sort of crime that would cost him his head. Finally,there is Harry Dresden whose cynicism and self-deprecating humor together with his complete ignorance and awkwardness when it comes to women make him a very endearing protagonist.

All in all, not a bad beginning to a series and I've heard that it only gets better from here on. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
The first in the Harry Dresden wizard PI series where he is in way over his head.

Paranoid? Probably. But just because you’re paranoid doesn’t mean that there isn’t an invisible demon about to eat your face.
--Jim Butcher (Storm Front p 9)
Maybe my values are outdated, but I come from an old school of thought. I think that men ought to treat women like something other than just shorter, weaker men with breasts. Try and convict me if I’m a bad person for thinking so. I enjoy treating a woman like a lady, opening doors for her, paying for shared meals, giving flowers—all that sort of thing.
--Jim Butcher (Storm Front p 11)
Women are better at hating than men. They can focus it better, let it go better. Hell, witches are just plain meaner than wizards.
--Jim Butcher (Storm Front p 21)
I had been a miserable failure in relationships, ever since my first love went sour. I mean, a lot of teenage guys fail in their first relationships. Not many of them murder the girl involved.
--Jim Butcher (Storm Front p 61) ( )
  nicolewbrown | Oct 27, 2016 |
Gave this one a shot because it's been on my to-read list forever, and I needed an audiobook with a narrator whose voice wouldn't annoy me. The narrator was great, so no disappointment there (thank you, [a:James Marsters|169487|James Marsters|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1252176950p2/169487.jpg]), but the content of the story was just... okay.

I read a lot of fantasy novels, but I'll admit I'm only a very, very casual reader of the detective/mystery genre. Still, I'm familiar enough with the setup to know what to expect - but [b:Storm Front|7698228|Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1)|Jim Butcher|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1265410645s/7698228.jpg|1137060] as a whole wasn't as interesting or engaging as I anticipated from the synopsis.

I liked the realism of Butcher's descriptions of "crime-fighting," such as having a protagonist who doesn't somehow manage to overpower every enemy regardless of their opponent's strength. I loved that Butcher wrote Dresden as someone who actually shows fear, owns up to it when he gets severely beaten on occasion, and actually screams in pain when injured.

I was not a fan of Dresden's need to constantly inform the reader just how "old-fashioned" (read: chauvinistic) he is towards women. But I'm also taking into account that the book was written by a man, which can be hard to transition to when you're accustomed to female authors. (And I also acknowledge that female writers in the fantasy genre often write female protagonists are equally chauvinistic towards men. Basically both sides of that fence could use some evening out, but that's off-topic for this review.)

Butcher's world of magic was unique, which made it more interesting to read about, even if some of it was kind of strange and off-putting (like a spirit who lives in an old skull until he's let out on rare occasions, at which point he uses his temporary freedom to generate orgies because, what?). Anyway, the potions aspect was unique, and I enjoyed the story-telling in that.

I also feel like Butcher was trying too hard to create a character that goes to the extreme on the "nerd versus cool" scale. He's a nerdy wizard who lives in a basement, spends a lot of time thinking about women but doesn't have any romantic prospects, has no fashion sense and is totally okay with leaving the house wearing sweatpants, a trenchcoat, and cowboy boots (which, I don't care how "fashion indifferent" you are, I have yet to see anyone actually do something like that and wear it in public). Obviously, Dresden is his character and Butcher is free to make him whatever he wants, but it's transparent and tiresome. To be honest, I don't know anything about the author, but Dresden has a very Mary Sue feel to him.

And while we're on the topic: I don't like when characters have trademark pieces of clothing, particularly when it's something easily destroyed in a normal fighting scenario (like a cloth trenchcoat) because it's a guarantee it will continually pop up throughout the book/series, and manage to survive every fight and near-death the protagonist faces until it becomes a focal point for the character to catalog every tear, discoloration, or stain on the now gross, old thing. Basically, objects like that are a waste of space, yet another pointless thing to randomly focus on at multiple points throughout the book.

All this said, I did like it enough to give the second one a shot (mostly just because I already have the [b:Fool Moon|7698237|Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2)|Jim Butcher|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1265410565s/7698237.jpg|855288] audiobook checked out from the library, so I might as well). Hopefully the story is more interesting than [b:Storm Front|7698228|Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1)|Jim Butcher|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1265410645s/7698228.jpg|1137060]. ( )
  ItEntertainsMe | Oct 4, 2016 |
I was first introduced to Harry Dresden when a group of friends started excitedly talking about the series. They were batting around ideas for their next tabletop RPG game, and the game based on the books was brought up as a possibility. The series sounded amazing, and one of them loaned me the books, and after the first few pages, I was officially hooked. This isn't your average urban fantasy where the forces of evil are pitted against the dashing, good looking, hero. Harry is a down-to-earth, can't-keep-his-mouth-shut-to-save-his-life, wizard. You'll be pulled along laughing and sometimes, holding your breath, on the many adventures Harry runs into and through. ( )
  LilyRoseShadowlyn | Sep 25, 2016 |
Storm Front's premise is pretty slim.. But Butcher makes it work, through a combination of interesting characters, tight plotting, and fresh, breezy writing. This is definitely not deep reading, but it is a whole lot of fun.
added by Shortride | editSF Site, Victoria Strauss (Aug 1, 2000)

Butcher, Jimprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Langowski, JürgenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGrath, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Debbie Chester, who taught me everything I really needed to know about writing. And for my father, who taught me everything I really needed to know about living. I miss you dad.
I heard the mailman approach my office door, half an hour earlier than usual.
Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.
"An actual wizard?" he asked, grinning, as though I should let him in on the joke. "Spells and potions? Demons and incantations? Subtle and quick to anger?"
"Not so subtle."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451457811, Mass Market Paperback)

For Harry Dresden, Chicago's only professional wizard, business, to put it mildly, stinks. So when the police bring him in to consult on a grisly double murder committed with black magic, Harry's seeing dollar signs. But where there's black magic, there's a black mage behind it. And now that mage knows Harry's name.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:03 -0400)

A modern-day mage and consultant to the police finds his stale life suddenly enlivened by the presence of a rival in the black arts.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,728,511 books! | Top bar: Always visible