Storm Front (The Dresden Files, Book 1) by…

Storm Front (The Dresden Files, Book 1) (edition 2000)

by Jim Butcher

10,003438285 (3.8)2 / 604
Member:mrko
Title:Storm Front (The Dresden Files, Book 1)
Authors:Jim Butcher
Info:Roc (2000), Edition: First Edition, Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Rating:**1/2
Tags:detective, urban fantasy

Storm Front by Jim Butcher

Fool Moon by Jim Butcher (Siesser)
    Something from the Nightside by Simon R. Green (amberwitch, plutoempress, lookitisheef, DovSherman)
    amberwitch: A tough P.I. with a number of convenient talents making a living and trying to uncover the secrets of his own origin in the magical Nightside of London.
    plutoempress: similar style, though i (and this is my opinion) find john taylor funnier than harry dresden.
    lookitisheef: Jim Butcher and Simon R. Green both have created great supernatural male-lead detective series. I think they provide a nice balance to the girls-kick-butt series out there...don't get me wrong, I love the work of Kim Harrison and Laurell K. Hamilton (to name a couple), but it's nice to see that authors can create plausible male leads in the supernatural fiction world, too.… (more)
    Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch (majkia)
    majkia: both involve paranormal mystery and smart-ass dialog.
    Hounded by Kevin Hearne (clif_hiker, al.vick)
    Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko (FFortuna)
    Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison (cjacklen)
    cjacklen: A crime-fighting witch quits her job to become a PI. Faster pace and more addictive than than "Storm Front".
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (Polenth)
    The Man With The Golden Torc by Simon R. Green (dmacmillan, Scottneumann)
    dmacmillan: Similar in tone to Butcher's Dresden Files but bigger in scope and with perhaps an even wilder storyline.
    The Devil You Know by Mike Carey (amberwitch, TheLibraryhag)
    amberwitch: Same noir feel, more interesting first person narrator. Lovely London descriptions.
    Nightlife by Rob Thurman (gluestick)
    gluestick: Brothers Cal & Niko Leandros battle monsters while on the run from Auphe.Doesn't help that Cal is half Auphe.
    Libriomancer by Jim C. Hines (kqueue)
    kqueue: I found many similarities between Isaac Vainio and Harry Dresden. Both are cynical, powerful, heroes with a dark sense of humor, who are on the fringes of their official organization but are called in to save the day. Both books feature many mythical creatures, and have a good versus evil theme in a fast-paced adventure.… (more)
    Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews (Strict31)
    Strict31: Lotta "urban fantasy" books out there. So many that simply stick to a formula. I was jonesin' hard for some Dresden when I stumbled across the Kate Daniels series. Like Dresden, it's a rare gem among a drawer filled with common stones. Kate doesn't spend her time on her back or pining for super-handsome creatures of the night. And she's not just an action surrogate for a male hero. There is action and there is romance. But it all fits. The series was not created to serve the needs of a genre, but rather, the needs of the character. It's a different type of storyline than Dresden, because the world has been irrevocably changed by the existence of magic. But a lot of the things I go to Dresden to get are also found here.… (more)
    Thicker Than Water (Felix Castor) by Mike Carey (BeckyJG)
    Dead Eye: Pennies for the Ferryman by Jim Bernheimer (enrique_molinero, gluestick)
    gluestick: Lone wolf hero.After coming back from Iraq and getting a donor eye he starts seeing ghosts. Next best thing while waiting for the newest Dresden files book.
    Sweet Silver Blues by Glen Cook (MyriadBooks)
    Unshapely Things by Mark Del Franco (MyriadBooks)
    Among Thieves by Douglas Hulick (ow1goddess)
    The Man Who Walked in Darkness by Chris Strange (Kaczencja)
    The Man Who Crossed Worlds by Chris Strange (terriko)
    Of Saints and Shadows by Christopher Golden (Scottneumann)

English (432)  Swedish (2)  German (2)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All (438)
I was curious about these books because of the TV show of the same name as the series title, and I think I loved the book even more than the TV show, probably because of the seriousness of the story. Not to say it lacked humor, but that humor was somewhat dry, and seemed fitting for a wizard in modern times.

The pace was at times too fast, with so much to take in all at once, but I could accept that as I knew there was very much to introduce and as with most first novels, the stakes are high. The story was captivating though, with many moments to make you cringe with empathy at what happens to the characters.

I would like to read more in the series. ( )
  cedargrove | Jun 24, 2017 |
As a narrator, Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden is a little melodramatic. As a wizard and private investigator, a little sloppy. Maybe this just suffers by comparison, but can't help thinking that Peter Grant (Rivers of London series) is just a little better at what he does, but maybe that's because he's had police training and Harry is a civilian, and Peter has a mentor and Harry's is dead.

Main character aside, good job as a first book at setting up the scene nicely and stuffing the book with a good assortment of beings, both supernatural-- you've got a fairy, a vampiress, a toad demon, a wizardly parole officer-- and mundane: cops, gangsters, ex-professional escorts, self-taught wizard gone to the dark side. This is TV series material enough for a couple of seasons at least.

I've heard that it gets better after a couple of books so I'm staying tuned in. ( )
  mrsrobin | Jun 24, 2017 |
Reads like a promising sci-fi tv show.

I docked off a star because (honestly) the writing in the first few chapters made me cringe in parts! But I was pretty much into it half way through... and by the end... hey, I found I enjoyed it! ( )
  kephradyx | Jun 20, 2017 |
It was very light reading and fun. Wizard meets Columbo/Magnum PI type private investigator. I liked the TV show so I thought I would try the series. A bit sexist and silly some of the time, but definitely a good read when you want something light or want a fun vacation book. ( )
  aliciadana | Jun 16, 2017 |
Interesting and captivating, while still managing to be hilarious. Excellent book. This is the story of Harry Dresden, the only openly practicing wizard in the Chicago Area. While investigating a missing persons case and a couple of grotesque murders, he skirts the edges and toes the line of magical society - who he is already on thin ice with.

After coming back for another re-read some years later, I have to say that this book is the embodiment of snark and sass in the best possible way. Harry's knight-in-shining-armor syndrome can kind of get on my nerves, but at the same time it manages to balance well with the multiple strong female characters that he interacts with. This book is heavy in sex, both literal and implied (it kind of essential to the plot in this case). There is also a fair amount of crude language and graphic violence. As for complexity of reading, I would call it high school level. ( )
  J9Plourde | Jun 13, 2017 |
Storm Front's premise is pretty slim.. But Butcher makes it work, through a combination of interesting characters, tight plotting, and fresh, breezy writing. This is definitely not deep reading, but it is a whole lot of fun.
added by Shortride | editSF Site, Victoria Strauss (Aug 1, 2000)

Butcher, Jimprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Langowski, JürgenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGrath, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Debbie Chester, who taught me everything I really needed to know about writing. And for my father, who taught me everything I really needed to know about living. I miss you dad.
I heard the mailman approach my office door, half an hour earlier than usual.
Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.
"An actual wizard?" he asked, grinning, as though I should let him in on the joke. "Spells and potions? Demons and incantations? Subtle and quick to anger?"
"Not so subtle."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451457811, Mass Market Paperback)

For Harry Dresden, Chicago's only professional wizard, business, to put it mildly, stinks. So when the police bring him in to consult on a grisly double murder committed with black magic, Harry's seeing dollar signs. But where there's black magic, there's a black mage behind it. And now that mage knows Harry's name.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:03 -0400)

A modern-day mage and consultant to the police finds his stale life suddenly enlivened by the presence of a rival in the black arts.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,155,592 books! | Top bar: Always visible