Storm Front (The Dresden Files, Book 1) by…

Storm Front (The Dresden Files, Book 1) (edition 2000)

by Jim Butcher

9,051378331 (3.81)2 / 547
Title:Storm Front (The Dresden Files, Book 1)
Authors:Jim Butcher
Info:Roc (2000), Edition: First Edition, Mass Market Paperback, 372 pages
Tags:series, paranormal, police, Chicago, drugs, organized crime

Storm Front by Jim Butcher

Recently added byprivate library, DannSchuler, stelleappese, d-vod, eva_s, Zikxed, inkdrinker, Narilka
    Fool Moon by Jim Butcher (Siesser)
    Something From The Nightside by Simon R. Green (amberwitch, plutoempress, lookitisheef, DovSherman)
    amberwitch: A tough P.I. with a number of convenient talents making a living and trying to uncover the secrets of his own origin in the magical Nightside of London.
    plutoempress: similar style, though i (and this is my opinion) find john taylor funnier than harry dresden.
    lookitisheef: Jim Butcher and Simon R. Green both have created great supernatural male-lead detective series. I think they provide a nice balance to the girls-kick-butt series out there...don't get me wrong, I love the work of Kim Harrison and Laurell K. Hamilton (to name a couple), but it's nice to see that authors can create plausible male leads in the supernatural fiction world, too.… (more)
    Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch (majkia)
    majkia: both involve paranormal mystery and smart-ass dialog.
    Hounded by Kevin Hearne (clif_hiker, al.vick)
    Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison (cjacklen)
    cjacklen: A crime-fighting witch quits her job to become a PI. Faster pace and more addictive than than "Storm Front".
    Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko (FFortuna)
    The Man with the Golden Torc by Simon R. Green (dmacmillan, Scottneumann)
    dmacmillan: Similar in tone to Butcher's Dresden Files but bigger in scope and with perhaps an even wilder storyline.
    Neverwhere: A Novel by Neil Gaiman (Polenth)
    Libriomancer by Jim C. Hines (kqueue)
    kqueue: I found many similarities between Isaac Vainio and Harry Dresden. Both are cynical, powerful, heroes with a dark sense of humor, who are on the fringes of their official organization but are called in to save the day. Both books feature many mythical creatures, and have a good versus evil theme in a fast-paced adventure.… (more)
    Thicker Than Water by Mike Carey (BeckyJG)
    Nightlife by Rob Thurman (gluestick)
    gluestick: Brothers Cal & Niko Leandros battle monsters while on the run from Auphe.Doesn't help that Cal is half Auphe.
    Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews (Strict31)
    Strict31: Lotta "urban fantasy" books out there. So many that simply stick to a formula. I was jonesin' hard for some Dresden when I stumbled across the Kate Daniels series. Like Dresden, it's a rare gem among a drawer filled with common stones. Kate doesn't spend her time on her back or pining for super-handsome creatures of the night. And she's not just an action surrogate for a male hero. There is action and there is romance. But it all fits. The series was not created to serve the needs of a genre, but rather, the needs of the character. It's a different type of storyline than Dresden, because the world has been irrevocably changed by the existence of magic. But a lot of the things I go to Dresden to get are also found here.… (more)
    Dead Eye: Pennies for the Ferryman by Jim Bernheimer (enrique_molinero, gluestick)
    gluestick: Lone wolf hero.After coming back from Iraq and getting a donor eye he starts seeing ghosts. Next best thing while waiting for the newest Dresden files book.
    Unshapely Things by Mark Del Franco (MyriadBooks)
    Sweet Silver Blues by Glen Cook (MyriadBooks)
    The Devil You Know by Mike Carey (amberwitch, TheLibraryhag)
    amberwitch: Same noir feel, more interesting first person narrator. Lovely London descriptions.
    Among Thieves by Douglas Hulick (ow1goddess)
    A Madness of Angels: Or, the Resurrection of Matthew Swift by Kate Griffin (amberwitch, questionablepotato, mysterymax)
    mysterymax: Anyone who enjoys the Dresden File series would, I think enjoy the Matthew Swift books.
    Of Saints and Shadows by Christopher Golden (Scottneumann)
    The Man Who Crossed Worlds by Chris Strange (terriko)

English (372)  Swedish (2)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (377)
A friend recommended these books (by way of bringing all but book 1 and putting them on my table) and I tried to read them but I found I just couldn't get into the writing. I felt I should give it a go, though and, seeing James Marsters' name on the audio version, I was curious to see if he could narrate - and he can. For the story itself I'd have given it 2 stars - it was okay, not exactly original but it does what a noir urban fantasy should do - but listening to it on audio made a huge difference. First person narratives become basically all dialogue and so are very much like a radio play and that suited the noir genre well.
Marsters brought all the characters to life (there is a distinct Jeremy Irons tonein Bob's voice) and, except for a bad case of 'tag lag' (in which the tone of the dialogue is continued into the dialogue tag - a particular sin in first person) the performance hits all the right notes. The production, though, is pretty sloppy. I'm afraid there are many, many bad cuts (mismatched sound, badly timed) and for much of the first half, the microphone was placed so that every breath masters took through his nose was a hurricane. It does clean up toward the, though, and it's only a slight annoyance.
Overall, I enjoyed it more than I expected to and have discovered that, though I don't much like reading noir (or any first person narrative, these days) I quite enjoy listening to it. ( )
  Darcy-Conroy | Sep 28, 2015 |
I own this book and I borrowed the audio from Overdrive so I could listen while I worked and then follow along when I was just relaxing. I really enjoyed this story and I know I will be continuing with this series. I wasn't familiar with this book or series.

Harry Dresden is a Wizard that is on probation. He also helps the police in their investigations. There is a murderer going around and killing people by exploding their hearts.

I also enjoyed this book because there was a character named Monica in it. Not very often that I get to read a book with my name in it. ( )
  crazy4reading | Sep 14, 2015 |
"I found out about this book on Patrick Rothfuss' blog. It was a fun read and the protagonist was very easy to relate to. His natural satirical view of life was really fun to read. The setting and plot were good enough for a first installment, providing enough background. It's our world with a slight twist - magic exists, but not generally believed in by most. The paranormal creatures include a neat take on vampires, fairies and demons. They are presented with as much sobriety as possible. I could almost believe it could be all real. Dresden is like a tough, down-at-the-heels detective, much like Sam Spade. He doesn't have the way with the women or the ego to go with it, though.

Regarding the story itself, I think Butcher did a masterful job of writing the world and Harry, especially the glimpses into Harry's past life. He doesn't dwell on it too much, but teases with glimpses. I can see this as part of the series plot line since Harry doesn't know much about his parents. His mother died at his birth and while his father told him a lot, there is probably a lot he doesn't know. Plus, he died when Harry was fairly young, so there is a lot he wouldn't have said. Anyway, what I like the most about Dresden is that he is very observant and smart, strongly reminding me of Sherlock Holmes, at times: ""Friends, plural. The kid was awfully nervous. He must have gotten an eyeful. But I had a gut instinct that he was hiding something else, keeping it back."". Actually, he relies so much on his intellectual resourcefulness that, sometimes, you forget he is a wizard. It actually took a really long time for him to display the full extent of his powers.

Other memorable characters worth mentioning are Bob and Morgan. Bob is a spirit of intellect that inhabits a human skull. He is under Dresden's service, helping (with certain reluctance) when required. He is just hilarious. His bitter sense of humor is what brought a little bit of so much needed humor to the story. His counterpart is Morgan, a Warden of the White Council - kind of the government of the wizards; basically, his job is to make sure that Dresden is not breaking the wizardry laws, and he does a hell of a good job of it, even though, most of the times, he is utterly wrong about everything. He is that character that everybody loves to hate.

All in all, it was an enjoyable read. I'm looking forward to the next one, but I don't feel any urgent need to read it immediately since, fortunately, Storm Front didn't end with a horrible cliffhanger.

Interesting quotes that I didn't include in the review:
Have you ever felt despair? Absolute hopelessness? Have you ever stood in the darkness and known, deep in your heart, in your spirit, that it was never, ever going to get better? That something had been lost, forever, and that it wasn't coming back?
I think that men ought to treat women like something other than weaker men with breasts.
Smiling always seems to annoy people more than actually insulting them. Or maybe I just have an annoying smile.

The Last Passage
The world is getting weirder. Darker every single day. Things are spinning around faster, and threatening to go completely awry. Falcons and falconers. The center cannot hold.
But in my corner of the country, I'm trying to nail things down. I don't want to live in Victor's jungle, even if it did eventually devour him. I don't want to live in a world where the strong rule and the weak cower. I'd rather make a place where things are a little quieter. Where trolls stay the hell under their bridges and where elves don't come swooping out to snatch children from their cradles. Where vampires respect their limits, and where the faeries mind their p's and q's.
My name is Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden. Conjure by it at your own risk. When things get strange, when what goes bump in the night flicks on the lights, when no one else can help you, give me a call.
I'm in the book.
" ( )
  AdemilsonM | Sep 2, 2015 |
I have some very bad news. Please brace yourself.

James Marsters is not British.

I know. I know. I feel your pain. It's my pain, too.

The good news is, he's still totally crushable. Not as crushable, of course. But his so-called "real" voice is pretty awesome. I know, because I just listened to him read a whole book to me.

(That sounds as if I lured him over with my famous three-chocolate brownies, locked the doors, remembered that locking doors is pretty useless when the person you're trying to imprison is on the same side of the door as the unlocking mechanism, barred the doors with my lizards' tanks, told him said lizards were rabid and venomous and very very hungry, and told him that the price of leaving safely was to read aloud to me for several hours. I'm willing to let that impression stand.)

So: James Marsters is still worth listening to even when he's speaking in (sigh) an American accent.

Oh, and this book is pretty good, too.

And hard to classify. I want to see if my library carries it, because I want to see where they shelve it. Do you put it in the fantasy section on the grounds that the main character is a wizard, or do you put it in mystery fiction because he's a private detective who uses his magical powers to solve crimes?

I'm annoyed that I hadn't heard of this series until it was mentioned in a John Hodgman podcast, because this book is pretty much perfect. There's pretty much everything to like, and almost nothing not to.

I use those qualifiers because in this first volume, there's a teensy bit of mild-mannered sexism. Nothing to set off my really big alarms, but a couple of the little ones made some annoying noises. For instance, at the scene of a truly gruesome and obviously magically-committed crime, Harry says that he thinks the murders were committed by a woman, because they were obviously motivated by hate and "women hate better than men."

Um, yeah. When I see two people having a very separate relationship with several of the better-known internal organs, my first thought is, "Girl fight!"

That's a pretty minor incident, though; and my expert on these books swears up and down that Harry stops being this kind of hard-boiled dork in the rest of the books.

Harry Dresden is otherwise an extremely enjoyable character. He's very human. He has convincing emotional reactions to the horrors he witnesses (he's violently ill after viewing the aforementioned crime scene). He's awkward with women. He misses his mom and dad, who died when he was young. He's talented, intelligent, and very powerful, but he gets angry, impatient, and bummed out. And through it all, he has a great sense of humor.

His magical abilities are very balanced out by weaknesses, plus he's up against some seriously powerful enemies, so the story stays interesting. The world-building is awesome. And there's only one scene where the author draws things out and says, "Oh, so that's what happened. Okay. Now I get it," and then waits a page or two before telling the reader what the heck is going on. Most of the time, he shares all the information he has right away.

And every character has a skillfully tailored voice, so you can --

Oh, wait. That's only the recorded version. Which I hesitate to call the only version worth bothering with, since the book really is good enough to sit down and read on paper. Whether you're a fan of mysteries, urban fantasy, or just plain fast reads, go ahead and grab this.

Still, if you can get James Marsters to read it to you, go for that. I hear he loves chocolate. ( )
  Deborah_Markus | Aug 8, 2015 |
Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden

A wizard and an all around a nice kind of guy.

I had no idea I would enjoy this book as much as I did. Butcher created an amazing character and his writing style is smooth and seamless. This book flows from one page to the next.

What really impressed me with Harry Dresden is just how much of an ordinary guy he really is, and just how much a badass he managed to be. There was no stupid posturing, cheesy one liners or testosterone driven Neanderthalism. He even made a back duster seem cool. And considering how far back this book was written just how many clichés involving a black duster there are, that is a feat and a half.

There are not many urban fantasy series out there that take their time in a way like Jim Butcher writes, there are even less involving male main characters. The plot stretches out like a warm summer's night and you still manage to stop and smell the roses on your way to the finish line. Not a single part of it seemed rushed and all the supporting characters had a lived in feel, like they've truly lived all their lives right where they were supposed to be, and we are just simply passing by at the moment being nosey. Although this is only my first book by Jim Butcher, I already know that this is a classic series, a 'don't miss'. And I don't intend to.

It's also quite refreshing to have a guy's perspective when it comes to flirting and romance. Dresden embodies a genuinely nice guy with the odds stacked against him when it comes to women. Although by his train of thought you can clearly see that he is a full blooded male, his actions speak of his insecurities and loneliness. Not many guys out there that write like this. It's like there is some bro code that requires male characters to be limited to a certain pre written book of conduct around women. The end result is always uninspired.

Bob the skull though.... He is the best supporting character I have met in the last couple years for sure. A wiseass, horndog spirit trapped in a skul whose soul purpose (soul purpose hihihi) was to accumulate information because Wizards and tech don't mix.
  IvieHill | Aug 6, 2015 |
Storm Front's premise is pretty slim.. But Butcher makes it work, through a combination of interesting characters, tight plotting, and fresh, breezy writing. This is definitely not deep reading, but it is a whole lot of fun.
added by Shortride | editSF Site, Victoria Strauss (Aug 1, 2000)

Butcher, Jimprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Langowski, JürgenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGrath, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Debbie Chester, who taught me everything I really needed to know about writing. And for my father, who taught me everything I really needed to know about living. I miss you dad.
I heard the mailman approach my office door, half an hour earlier than usual.
Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.
"An actual wizard?" he asked, grinning, as though I should let him in on the joke. "Spells and potions? Demons and incantations? Subtle and quick to anger?"
"Not so subtle."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451457811, Mass Market Paperback)

For Harry Dresden, Chicago's only professional wizard, business, to put it mildly, stinks. So when the police bring him in to consult on a grisly double murder committed with black magic, Harry's seeing dollar signs. But where there's black magic, there's a black mage behind it. And now that mage knows Harry's name.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:03 -0400)

A modern-day mage and consultant to the police finds his stale life suddenly enlivened by the presence of a rival in the black arts.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,784,184 books! | Top bar: Always visible