Storm Front (The Dresden Files, Book 1) by…

Storm Front (The Dresden Files, Book 1) (edition 2000)

by Jim Butcher

9,507412304 (3.81)2 / 573
Member:sparemethecensor
Title:Storm Front (The Dresden Files, Book 1)
Authors:Jim Butcher
Info:Roc (2000), Edition: First Edition, Mass Market Paperback, 372 pages
Rating:***
Tags:series, paranormal, police, Chicago, drugs, organized crime

Storm Front by Jim Butcher

Fool Moon by Jim Butcher (Siesser)
    Something from the Nightside by Simon R. Green (amberwitch, plutoempress, lookitisheef, DovSherman)
    amberwitch: A tough P.I. with a number of convenient talents making a living and trying to uncover the secrets of his own origin in the magical Nightside of London.
    plutoempress: similar style, though i (and this is my opinion) find john taylor funnier than harry dresden.
    lookitisheef: Jim Butcher and Simon R. Green both have created great supernatural male-lead detective series. I think they provide a nice balance to the girls-kick-butt series out there...don't get me wrong, I love the work of Kim Harrison and Laurell K. Hamilton (to name a couple), but it's nice to see that authors can create plausible male leads in the supernatural fiction world, too.… (more)
    Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch (majkia)
    majkia: both involve paranormal mystery and smart-ass dialog.
    Hounded by Kevin Hearne (clif_hiker, al.vick)
    Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko (FFortuna)
    Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison (cjacklen)
    cjacklen: A crime-fighting witch quits her job to become a PI. Faster pace and more addictive than than "Storm Front".
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (Polenth)
    The Man With The Golden Torc by Simon R. Green (dmacmillan, Scottneumann)
    dmacmillan: Similar in tone to Butcher's Dresden Files but bigger in scope and with perhaps an even wilder storyline.
    Nightlife by Rob Thurman (gluestick)
    gluestick: Brothers Cal & Niko Leandros battle monsters while on the run from Auphe.Doesn't help that Cal is half Auphe.
    Libriomancer by Jim C. Hines (kqueue)
    kqueue: I found many similarities between Isaac Vainio and Harry Dresden. Both are cynical, powerful, heroes with a dark sense of humor, who are on the fringes of their official organization but are called in to save the day. Both books feature many mythical creatures, and have a good versus evil theme in a fast-paced adventure.… (more)
    Thicker Than Water by Mike Carey (BeckyJG)
    The Devil You Know by Mike Carey (amberwitch, TheLibraryhag)
    amberwitch: Same noir feel, more interesting first person narrator. Lovely London descriptions.
    Dead Eye: Pennies for the Ferryman by Jim Bernheimer (enrique_molinero, gluestick)
    gluestick: Lone wolf hero.After coming back from Iraq and getting a donor eye he starts seeing ghosts. Next best thing while waiting for the newest Dresden files book.
    Unshapely Things by Mark Del Franco (MyriadBooks)
    Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews (Strict31)
    Strict31: Lotta "urban fantasy" books out there. So many that simply stick to a formula. I was jonesin' hard for some Dresden when I stumbled across the Kate Daniels series. Like Dresden, it's a rare gem among a drawer filled with common stones. Kate doesn't spend her time on her back or pining for super-handsome creatures of the night. And she's not just an action surrogate for a male hero. There is action and there is romance. But it all fits. The series was not created to serve the needs of a genre, but rather, the needs of the character. It's a different type of storyline than Dresden, because the world has been irrevocably changed by the existence of magic. But a lot of the things I go to Dresden to get are also found here.… (more)
    Sweet Silver Blues by Glen Cook (MyriadBooks)
    Among Thieves by Douglas Hulick (ow1goddess)
    The Man Who Walked in Darkness by Chris Strange (Kaczencja)
    The Man Who Crossed Worlds by Chris Strange (terriko)
    Of Saints and Shadows by Christopher Golden (Scottneumann)

English (404)  Swedish (2)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (409)
Dresden is the rare wizard who lets the public know that he is a wizard, using to barely squeeze out a living from his skills. It's rough and he's world weary. A gig as a consultant for the police when there are "weird" crimes pays the rent.

James Marsters reads the story with a voice deep with word weariness, just at you would expect Dresden to sound like. ( )
  dougcornelius | May 27, 2016 |
Three stars is a wishy-washy compromise for this book. I wanted to give it 2 stars, because I dislike the cliches and thought it was badly written; but I felt it deserved 4 stars for being a perfect specimen of its type.
If you like cheesy, supernatural noir then then this is the book for you!

The most jarring part of the story was the terrible descriptions of women. Everytime he sees a woman the narrator ruminates for a while on her sexual appeal, clothes and make up.
Other than that it was painfully predictable. What's that? A love potion? Well, I'm sure there won't be any hilarious mishaps with that whatsoever. There wasn't even a twist at the end. Turns out the killer was the obvious suspect all along (kudos to Butcher, I guess, for not using the classic noir 'twist' and revealing that the woman was the evil one all along).
But it doesn't really matter because the story is a fun romp, and endearingly lacking self-awareness. Every chapter ends with a cheesy one-liner. The hero is such a Mary-Sue that I can't help but feel that he was written by a very earnest teenager. Overall I quite enjoyed it. ( )
  Flick-Imrie | May 15, 2016 |
I really like this book, he is AWESOME! ( )
  mariahsidhe | May 12, 2016 |
Loved this book. Will definitely be reading more of the Dresden Files. ( )
  khaddox | May 8, 2016 |
Storm Front
3.5 Stars

James Master's narration is good overall although his female voices are only so-so (I understand that this is an issue for male narrators in general). He also does this funny thing with his breathing so he sounds like he's sighing a lot - you get used to it though.

There is a great deal of world building, which makes the pacing a little slow. Nevertheless, the workings of magic are well-defined and detailed, if somewhat lacking in originality (think Harry Potter as a thirty something). The film noir atmosphere is unusual but appropriate to the tone of the character and the mystery.

The mystery has potential but Dresden's detective skills are not the best and he seems to wait around until the clues fall into his lap rather than being proactive. That said, the action scenes are fast paced and keep you engaged in the storyline. Unfortunately, the identity of the villain becomes obvious just over halfway through and the resolution is predictable.

The characterization is the best aspect of the book. Bob the talking skull with a one-track mind, Toot the fairy with a food obsession, Murphy the no-nonsense policewoman with a soft spot for Harry, Susan the tenacious reporter who has no qualms using her feminine wiles on Harry in order to get her scoop, and Morgan the White Council's warden who hopes with every fiber of his being to catch Harry in the act of committing some sort of crime that would cost him his head. Finally,there is Harry Dresden whose cynicism and self-deprecating humor together with his complete ignorance and awkwardness when it comes to women make him a very endearing protagonist.

All in all, not a bad beginning to a series and I've heard that it only gets better from here on. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 8, 2016 |
Storm Front's premise is pretty slim.. But Butcher makes it work, through a combination of interesting characters, tight plotting, and fresh, breezy writing. This is definitely not deep reading, but it is a whole lot of fun.
added by Shortride | editSF Site, Victoria Strauss (Aug 1, 2000)

Butcher, Jimprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Langowski, JürgenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGrath, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Debbie Chester, who taught me everything I really needed to know about writing. And for my father, who taught me everything I really needed to know about living. I miss you dad.
I heard the mailman approach my office door, half an hour earlier than usual.
Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.
"An actual wizard?" he asked, grinning, as though I should let him in on the joke. "Spells and potions? Demons and incantations? Subtle and quick to anger?"
"Not so subtle."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451457811, Mass Market Paperback)

For Harry Dresden, Chicago's only professional wizard, business, to put it mildly, stinks. So when the police bring him in to consult on a grisly double murder committed with black magic, Harry's seeing dollar signs. But where there's black magic, there's a black mage behind it. And now that mage knows Harry's name.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:03 -0400)

A modern-day mage and consultant to the police finds his stale life suddenly enlivened by the presence of a rival in the black arts.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,885,414 books! | Top bar: Always visible