Storm Front (The Dresden Files, Book 1) by…

Storm Front (The Dresden Files, Book 1) (edition 2000)

by Jim Butcher

8,235None378 (3.82)2 / 486
Member:sparemethecensor
Title:Storm Front (The Dresden Files, Book 1)
Authors:Jim Butcher
Info:Roc (2000), Edition: First Edition, Mass Market Paperback, 372 pages
Rating:***
Tags:series, paranormal, police, Chicago, drugs, organized crime

Storm Front by Jim Butcher

audiobook (48) Chicago (181) crime (69) demons (53) detective (184) Dresden (127) Dresden Files (483) ebook (79) fantasy (1,159) fiction (648) Harry Dresden (139) horror (49) Jim Butcher (68) magic (414) mystery (443) noir (52) novel (56) paperback (62) paranormal (157) private investigator (40) read (149) science fiction (136) series (168) sff (79) supernatural (125) to-read (122) urban (45) urban fantasy (712) vampires (154) wizards (475)
    Fool Moon by Jim Butcher (Siesser)
    Midnight Riot by Ben Aaronovitch (majkia)
    majkia: both involve paranormal mystery and smart-ass dialog.
    Something From The Nightside by Simon R. Green (amberwitch, plutoempress, lookitisheef, DovSherman)
    amberwitch: A tough P.I. with a number of convenient talents making a living and trying to uncover the secrets of his own origin in the magical Nightside of London.
    plutoempress: similar style, though i (and this is my opinion) find john taylor funnier than harry dresden.
    lookitisheef: Jim Butcher and Simon R. Green both have created great supernatural male-lead detective series. I think they provide a nice balance to the girls-kick-butt series out there...don't get me wrong, I love the work of Kim Harrison and Laurell K. Hamilton (to name a couple), but it's nice to see that authors can create plausible male leads in the supernatural fiction world, too.… (more)
    Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison (cjacklen)
    cjacklen: A crime-fighting witch quits her job to become a PI. Faster pace and more addictive than than "Storm Front".
    Hounded by Kevin Hearne (clif_hiker, al.vick)
    Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko (FFortuna)
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (Polenth)
    The Man with the Golden Torc by Simon R. Green (dmacmillan, Scottneumann)
    dmacmillan: Similar in tone to Butcher's Dresden Files but bigger in scope and with perhaps an even wilder storyline.
    Thicker Than Water by Mike Carey (BeckyJG)
    Nightlife by Rob Thurman (gluestick)
    gluestick: Brothers Cal & Niko Leandros battle monsters while on the run from Auphe.Doesn't help that Cal is half Auphe.
    Libriomancer by Jim C. Hines (kqueue)
    kqueue: I found many similarities between Isaac Vainio and Harry Dresden. Both are cynical, powerful, heroes with a dark sense of humor, who are on the fringes of their official organization but are called in to save the day. Both books feature many mythical creatures, and have a good versus evil theme in a fast-paced adventure.… (more)
    Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews (Strict31)
    Strict31: Lotta "urban fantasy" books out there. So many that simply stick to a formula. I was jonesin' hard for some Dresden when I stumbled across the Kate Daniels series. Like Dresden, it's a rare gem among a drawer filled with common stones. Kate doesn't spend her time on her back or pining for super-handsome creatures of the night. And she's not just an action surrogate for a male hero. There is action and there is romance. But it all fits. The series was not created to serve the needs of a genre, but rather, the needs of the character. It's a different type of storyline than Dresden, because the world has been irrevocably changed by the existence of magic. But a lot of the things I go to Dresden to get are also found here.… (more)
    Dead Eye: Pennies for the Ferryman by Jim Bernheimer (enrique_molinero, gluestick)
    gluestick: Lone wolf hero.After coming back from Iraq and getting a donor eye he starts seeing ghosts. Next best thing while waiting for the newest Dresden files book.
    Unshapely Things by Mark Del Franco (MyriadBooks)
    Sweet Silver Blues by Glen Cook (MyriadBooks)
    Among Thieves by Douglas Hulick (ow1goddess)
    The Devil You Know by Mike Carey (amberwitch, TheLibraryhag)
    amberwitch: Same noir feel, more interesting first person narrator. Lovely London descriptions.
    Of Saints and Shadows by Christopher Golden (Scottneumann)
    A Madness of Angels: Or, the Resurrection of Matthew Swift by Kate Griffin (amberwitch, questionablepotato)
    The Man Who Crossed Worlds by Chris Strange (terriko)

English (337)  Swedish (2)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (342)
3.5 stars. I like this much better than Butcher's epic fantasy series. Harry Dresden has a great voice. ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
The Dresden Files are the kinds of books that I always come back to when I need a break. They're readable and entertaining, and this book is a solid start to what has turned out to be an engaging series. It's not often that I maintain enough interest in a series to make it through all 14 books, but Butcher has captured my attention thus far.

But in the interest of full disclosure, I do have to say that Harry Dresden is a bit of a pig sometimes. ( )
  CinnamonandGinger | Mar 26, 2014 |
I started it yesterday, and I'm plowing through it. Very readable scifi-mystery. The series appears to be worth the hype. ( )
  ewillse | Mar 23, 2014 |
I've found a new series to read! Just what I need, more books on my To Read list, but I can't help myself! The Dresden Files series has been around about 14 years, so I'm a little late to the party. But books are timeless!

Storm Front is a solid first book in a paranormal series. Harry is a broke wizard who has to sell his talents to make a living. He's got a fledgling business relationship with a police detective, though she doesn't trust him. What could go wrong?

Harry is a great character. He's smart, talented, funny, sarcastic, and unlucky with women. He's a magnet for trouble, but manages to stay one step ahead of utter failure... or... death.

The story is well paced and kept my interest. I plan on continuing on in the series! ( )
  NCRainstorm | Mar 14, 2014 |
Tormenta / Storm Front (La Saga De Harry Dresden / the Dresden Files) (Spanish Edition) ( )
  Keyboon | Mar 10, 2014 |
Storm Front's premise is pretty slim.. But Butcher makes it work, through a combination of interesting characters, tight plotting, and fresh, breezy writing. This is definitely not deep reading, but it is a whole lot of fun.
added by Shortride | editSF Site, Victoria Strauss (Aug 1, 2000)

Butcher, Jimprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Langowski, JürgenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGrath, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Debbie Chester, who taught me everything I really needed to know about writing. And for my father, who taught me everything I really needed to know about living. I miss you dad.
I heard the mailman approach my office door, half an hour earlier than usual.
Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.
"An actual wizard?" he asked, grinning, as though I should let him in on the joke. "Spells and potions? Demons and incantations? Subtle and quick to anger?"
"Not so subtle."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451457811, Mass Market Paperback)

For Harry Dresden, Chicago's only professional wizard, business, to put it mildly, stinks. So when the police bring him in to consult on a grisly double murder committed with black magic, Harry's seeing dollar signs. But where there's black magic, there's a black mage behind it. And now that mage knows Harry's name.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:20 -0400)

A modern-day mage and consultant to the police finds his stale life suddenly enlivened by the presence of a rival in the black arts.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,495,643 books! | Top bar: Always visible