Storm Front (The Dresden Files, Book 1) by…

Storm Front (The Dresden Files, Book 1) (edition 2000)

by Jim Butcher

8,414352368 (3.82)2 / 501
Member:sparemethecensor
Title:Storm Front (The Dresden Files, Book 1)
Authors:Jim Butcher
Info:Roc (2000), Edition: First Edition, Mass Market Paperback, 372 pages
Rating:***
Tags:series, paranormal, police, Chicago, drugs, organized crime

Storm Front by Jim Butcher

Recently added byLRULincoln, private library, Noree, knersus, Windering, G_Riv, drhapgood, CJSTheWriter, shelflife
    Fool Moon by Jim Butcher (Siesser)
    Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch (majkia)
    majkia: both involve paranormal mystery and smart-ass dialog.
    Something From The Nightside by Simon R. Green (amberwitch, plutoempress, lookitisheef, DovSherman)
    amberwitch: A tough P.I. with a number of convenient talents making a living and trying to uncover the secrets of his own origin in the magical Nightside of London.
    plutoempress: similar style, though i (and this is my opinion) find john taylor funnier than harry dresden.
    lookitisheef: Jim Butcher and Simon R. Green both have created great supernatural male-lead detective series. I think they provide a nice balance to the girls-kick-butt series out there...don't get me wrong, I love the work of Kim Harrison and Laurell K. Hamilton (to name a couple), but it's nice to see that authors can create plausible male leads in the supernatural fiction world, too.… (more)
    Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison (cjacklen)
    cjacklen: A crime-fighting witch quits her job to become a PI. Faster pace and more addictive than than "Storm Front".
    Hounded by Kevin Hearne (clif_hiker, al.vick)
    Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko (FFortuna)
    The Man with the Golden Torc by Simon R. Green (dmacmillan, Scottneumann)
    dmacmillan: Similar in tone to Butcher's Dresden Files but bigger in scope and with perhaps an even wilder storyline.
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (Polenth)
    Libriomancer by Jim C. Hines (kqueue)
    kqueue: I found many similarities between Isaac Vainio and Harry Dresden. Both are cynical, powerful, heroes with a dark sense of humor, who are on the fringes of their official organization but are called in to save the day. Both books feature many mythical creatures, and have a good versus evil theme in a fast-paced adventure.… (more)
    Thicker Than Water by Mike Carey (BeckyJG)
    Nightlife by Rob Thurman (gluestick)
    gluestick: Brothers Cal & Niko Leandros battle monsters while on the run from Auphe.Doesn't help that Cal is half Auphe.
    Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews (Strict31)
    Strict31: Lotta "urban fantasy" books out there. So many that simply stick to a formula. I was jonesin' hard for some Dresden when I stumbled across the Kate Daniels series. Like Dresden, it's a rare gem among a drawer filled with common stones. Kate doesn't spend her time on her back or pining for super-handsome creatures of the night. And she's not just an action surrogate for a male hero. There is action and there is romance. But it all fits. The series was not created to serve the needs of a genre, but rather, the needs of the character. It's a different type of storyline than Dresden, because the world has been irrevocably changed by the existence of magic. But a lot of the things I go to Dresden to get are also found here.… (more)
    Dead Eye: Pennies for the Ferryman by Jim Bernheimer (enrique_molinero, gluestick)
    gluestick: Lone wolf hero.After coming back from Iraq and getting a donor eye he starts seeing ghosts. Next best thing while waiting for the newest Dresden files book.
    Unshapely Things by Mark Del Franco (MyriadBooks)
    Sweet Silver Blues by Glen Cook (MyriadBooks)
    The Devil You Know by Mike Carey (amberwitch, TheLibraryhag)
    amberwitch: Same noir feel, more interesting first person narrator. Lovely London descriptions.
    Among Thieves by Douglas Hulick (ow1goddess)
    A Madness of Angels: Or, the Resurrection of Matthew Swift by Kate Griffin (amberwitch, questionablepotato, mysterymax)
    mysterymax: Anyone who enjoys the Dresden File series would, I think enjoy the Matthew Swift books.
    Of Saints and Shadows by Christopher Golden (Scottneumann)
    The Man Who Crossed Worlds by Chris Strange (terriko)

English (346)  Swedish (2)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (351)
Through my years at the library, there was one series that seemed to maintain its popularity--The Dresden Files, by Jim Butcher. I assumed it was some kind of futuristic noir private-eye story set in LA. (No idea why!) I decided to give it a try, starting, of course, with Storm Front, the first in the series. Imagine my pleasure to discover, a: it's set in Chicago in the late 1980s; b: the protagonist is indeed a PI--who just happens to be a wizard with an attitude (imagine a young Jim Rockford with a magic staff); and c: the story flies along so fast the reader can hardly keep up with it! Dresden is on retainer with the Chicago PD. When they get a case that has the smell of magic about it, Lt. Karrin Murphy gives him a call. In this case, it's a double homicide, effected in a way that no human could accomplish. Before Dresden knows what hit him, he has made enemies--the Chicago crime syndicate is after him, the killer wants him dead, and his watchdog from the White Council wants to make sure that Harry does not overstep the boundaries of what "good" magicians are allowed to do. This book has it all--a smart-mouthed and sassy protagonist who tries to turn everything into a joke, plenty of attractive and interesting women, ghosties and ghouls galore, along with the creepiest scorpions you've ever seen. I can't wait to get my hands on Book 2! Highly entertaining. ( )
  alexann | Jul 18, 2014 |
Harry is a private investigator, as well as a wizard. When two people are murdered, the police bring him in to help solve the case, as there appears to be a supernatural element to it. At the same time, Harry is hired by a woman whose husband has gone missing. She believes he has become too heavily involved in magic and is worried.

The book was good, but I can't say that it blew me away or even say for sure whether or not I'll continue the series. I definitely preferred the supernatural element to it to the detective stuff. ( )
  LibraryCin | Jul 8, 2014 |
As a fan of urban fantasy, I liked this, which was a hard-boiled detective story with mostly light magic, until the end. I was a little disappointed there wasn't more detail about the magical world, though I appreciated the fact that the details that did come up were related to what was going on, as opposed to a massive lecture about unrelated topics.

The showdown at the end of the book was worth the wait for the mostly magic-lite story. I did like a lot of the quirkier elements though, my favorite being the potion-making skull in the basement.

I think my only criticism is the setting. I was surprised when I started this and realized the city takes place in Chicago, but there's absolutely no detail about the city here. Aside from occasional cabs and 7 or so fictitious locations, there's nothing. At one point, wealthy west suburbs are mentioned (which exist, but the big money's mostly up north), and then Harry walks home to Chicago from them, which is definitely not an option. No neighborhoods or suburbs, streets, famous buildings, or anything else is mentioned. Nothing is described in detail.

Overall, I liked it a lot, though. A nice, uncomplicated easy read, and rather addictive. I'm definitely reading more in the series. ( )
  ConnieJo | Jul 7, 2014 |
I already loved these stories. Hearing them read by James Marsters, who will now forever BE Harry Dresden for me, is simply icing on the cake. ( )
  MrsLee | Jul 5, 2014 |
good book, nothing mind blowing but a nice, easy read. I will definitely have to pick up other books in this series. ( )
  elfie1980 | Jul 2, 2014 |
Storm Front's premise is pretty slim.. But Butcher makes it work, through a combination of interesting characters, tight plotting, and fresh, breezy writing. This is definitely not deep reading, but it is a whole lot of fun.
added by Shortride | editSF Site, Victoria Strauss (Aug 1, 2000)

Butcher, Jimprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Langowski, JürgenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGrath, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Debbie Chester, who taught me everything I really needed to know about writing. And for my father, who taught me everything I really needed to know about living. I miss you dad.
I heard the mailman approach my office door, half an hour earlier than usual.
Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.
"An actual wizard?" he asked, grinning, as though I should let him in on the joke. "Spells and potions? Demons and incantations? Subtle and quick to anger?"
"Not so subtle."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451457811, Mass Market Paperback)

For Harry Dresden, Chicago's only professional wizard, business, to put it mildly, stinks. So when the police bring him in to consult on a grisly double murder committed with black magic, Harry's seeing dollar signs. But where there's black magic, there's a black mage behind it. And now that mage knows Harry's name.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:20 -0400)

A modern-day mage and consultant to the police finds his stale life suddenly enlivened by the presence of a rival in the black arts.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,613,299 books! | Top bar: Always visible