Storm Front (The Dresden Files, Book 1) by…

Storm Front (The Dresden Files, Book 1) (edition 2000)

by Jim Butcher

8,559357357 (3.81)2 / 507
Member:sparemethecensor
Title:Storm Front (The Dresden Files, Book 1)
Authors:Jim Butcher
Info:Roc (2000), Edition: First Edition, Mass Market Paperback, 372 pages
Rating:***
Tags:series, paranormal, police, Chicago, drugs, organized crime

Storm Front by Jim Butcher

Fool Moon by Jim Butcher (Siesser)
    Something From The Nightside by Simon R. Green (amberwitch, plutoempress, lookitisheef, DovSherman)
    amberwitch: A tough P.I. with a number of convenient talents making a living and trying to uncover the secrets of his own origin in the magical Nightside of London.
    plutoempress: similar style, though i (and this is my opinion) find john taylor funnier than harry dresden.
    lookitisheef: Jim Butcher and Simon R. Green both have created great supernatural male-lead detective series. I think they provide a nice balance to the girls-kick-butt series out there...don't get me wrong, I love the work of Kim Harrison and Laurell K. Hamilton (to name a couple), but it's nice to see that authors can create plausible male leads in the supernatural fiction world, too.… (more)
    Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch (majkia)
    majkia: both involve paranormal mystery and smart-ass dialog.
    Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison (cjacklen)
    cjacklen: A crime-fighting witch quits her job to become a PI. Faster pace and more addictive than than "Storm Front".
    Hounded by Kevin Hearne (clif_hiker, al.vick)
    Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko (FFortuna)
    The Man with the Golden Torc by Simon R. Green (dmacmillan, Scottneumann)
    dmacmillan: Similar in tone to Butcher's Dresden Files but bigger in scope and with perhaps an even wilder storyline.
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (Polenth)
    Libriomancer by Jim C. Hines (kqueue)
    kqueue: I found many similarities between Isaac Vainio and Harry Dresden. Both are cynical, powerful, heroes with a dark sense of humor, who are on the fringes of their official organization but are called in to save the day. Both books feature many mythical creatures, and have a good versus evil theme in a fast-paced adventure.… (more)
    Thicker Than Water by Mike Carey (BeckyJG)
    Nightlife by Rob Thurman (gluestick)
    gluestick: Brothers Cal & Niko Leandros battle monsters while on the run from Auphe.Doesn't help that Cal is half Auphe.
    Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews (Strict31)
    Strict31: Lotta "urban fantasy" books out there. So many that simply stick to a formula. I was jonesin' hard for some Dresden when I stumbled across the Kate Daniels series. Like Dresden, it's a rare gem among a drawer filled with common stones. Kate doesn't spend her time on her back or pining for super-handsome creatures of the night. And she's not just an action surrogate for a male hero. There is action and there is romance. But it all fits. The series was not created to serve the needs of a genre, but rather, the needs of the character. It's a different type of storyline than Dresden, because the world has been irrevocably changed by the existence of magic. But a lot of the things I go to Dresden to get are also found here.… (more)
    Dead Eye: Pennies for the Ferryman by Jim Bernheimer (enrique_molinero, gluestick)
    gluestick: Lone wolf hero.After coming back from Iraq and getting a donor eye he starts seeing ghosts. Next best thing while waiting for the newest Dresden files book.
    Unshapely Things by Mark Del Franco (MyriadBooks)
    Sweet Silver Blues by Glen Cook (MyriadBooks)
    The Devil You Know by Mike Carey (amberwitch, TheLibraryhag)
    amberwitch: Same noir feel, more interesting first person narrator. Lovely London descriptions.
    Among Thieves by Douglas Hulick (ow1goddess)
    A Madness of Angels: Or, the Resurrection of Matthew Swift by Kate Griffin (amberwitch, questionablepotato, mysterymax)
    mysterymax: Anyone who enjoys the Dresden File series would, I think enjoy the Matthew Swift books.
    Of Saints and Shadows by Christopher Golden (Scottneumann)
    The Man Who Crossed Worlds by Chris Strange (terriko)

English (350)  Swedish (2)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (355)
I watched the Dresden Files TV series years ago, but I didn't get around to actually reading the books until recently (terrible, I know). In a way, that's great, because most of the TV plots have faded from my memory and I was able to thoroughly enjoy this book! Harry Dresden is a strong character with lots of flaws and a history that make him both fascinating and ease to relate to the reader. The plot comes across as traditional for a mystery, but nevertheless well-written and developed. I look forward to continuing this series! ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Oct 11, 2014 |
3.5* I had a lot of fun getting to know Harry Dresden and will definitely be back for more! I love the mix of fantasy and mystery. Because it was the first of the series, there was a lot of world building, so it was a bit slow in parts, but it was still a lot of fun. I'm looking forward to learning more about Harry and they myriad of secondary characters introduced too. ( )
  Bugetta | Sep 29, 2014 |
After hearing so many good things about this audiobook, I decided to download it to my iPod. I loved James Marsters in Buffy and Angel so I thought this was the perfect book to get me started in this format.

Well, James Marsters was brilliant he really made an effort to bring this book to life with different voices, inflections etc. However this is the only good thing I can say about it. Harry was a moron, he may have had magical skill but little common sense. If you risk your life in your job why not learn some form of martial arts? Or even get some regular exercise? He was attacked a number of times but lacked any real skill or strength to fight back effectively even with magic. He was pitiful yet he still managed to survive. I didn't really understand that. No one is that lucky. I was cheering on the bad guys hoping one of them would take him out and make him a winner of the Darwin Awards. On top of this, Harry was very pessimistic, I'm pessimistic but well, Harry was so down on himself that I wondered why he hadn't tried to slit his wrists yet. Yes, there was humour but not enough to balance all the negativity, it was depressing.

The writing was awful, if it hadn't been for Mr. Marsters I would have given up on this almost immediately. There are so many bad things I can say: sexist comments, cheesy lines and a story so dull I forgot to listen in places but there was one character that woke me up - Bob. Bob was cheeky, funny and reminded me of James Marsters' former role as Spike yet he only had a small amount of stage time.

I've heard that this is the weakest of the series and that books 3 and 4 are when it really starts to take off but if this series hadn't been so popular I wouldn't even consider the sequel though I won't be touching it for a good long while. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
‘I don’t want to live in a world where the strong rule and the weak cower. I’d rather make a place where things are a little quieter. Where trolls stay the hell under their bridges and where elves don’t come swooping out to snatch children from their cradles. Where vampires respect the limits, and where the faeries mind their p’s and q’s. My name is Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden. Conjure by it at your own risk. When things get strange, when what goes bump in the night flicks on the lights, when no one else can help you, give me a call. I’m in the book.’

Harry is a detective but also a wizard; the only one in the city of Chicago. He’s going through some hard times currently and haven’t worked enough jobs recently to pay the rent (or buy food for that matter) and when a job comes knocking on his door he doesn’t think twice. Monica Sells is the traditional damsel in distress that hires Harry to help her find her husband. Karrin Murphy is the head of the Special Investigations Department of the Chicago police department and needs Harry’s help in solving a recent double homicide where a man and woman had their hearts ripped out ‘mid-coitus’. In addition to homicides and missing husbands, Harry is dealing with Chicago’s crime boss who has a personal interest in seeing that Harry doesn’t solve murder case. So basically just a typical day in the life of Harry Dresden.

Storm Front, the beginning of the massive fifteen (at the moment) installments in the widely known Harry Dresden series. Fifteen installments being the reason I’ve been so leery about picking this series but I’m so glad I finally did. I can count several Urban Fantasy series I love because of the empowered snarky main character with the best sense of humor but they all happy to be female. Not anymore.

‘Smiling always seems to annoy people more than actually insulting them. Or maybe I just have an annoying smile.’

“EASTER HAS BEEN CANCELED – THEY FOUND THE BODY” (T-Shirt worn by Harry)

While this isn’t the most solidly written detective/murder mystery (it was fairly easy to guess what was going on the whole time) it was still entertaining enough with an interesting cast of characters to avoid the urge to skip to the end. I loved the noir feel to Storm Front, Harry had a definite Sam Spade/Philip Marlowe feel to him just with a magical staff and a trench coat. The world-building was well-done without the typical infodump we receive at the beginning of any new series. There were various additions to this world that sets it apart from the rest: The White Council is the group which governs wizards, the Nevernever is a spirit realm and there are also vampires, faeries, demons and other assorted supernatural beasties. It was all very interesting and I look forward to the world being further explored in following installments.

I’ve been told that this is not the strongest installment and that they get better as they progress but I was sufficiently pleased with Storm Front that I will most definitely be picking up Fool Moon soon. The audiobooks made this even more of an entertaining read as they are narrated by James Marsters who does a fabulous job at conveying the proper amount of snarky into Harry’s tone (you can listen to the 1st chapter in full below). Don’t let the 15+ installments frighten you; if you love Urban Fantasy, The Dresden Files is one series you won’t want to miss out on. ( )
  bonniemarjorie | Sep 13, 2014 |
**No spoils.

2.5 Stars I’m being mighty generous in rounding up here. I was tempted to round down for this one book.

Immediate reaction after reading : Hooraaaayy!! It's finally over. Woohoooo!!..

After some reflection : MEH. For how long and often I've been bashed over the head with how great this series is, I was seriously unimpressed. To be fair, the book wasn’t horrifically bad, but neither was it awesome as is widely purported. It could very well be attributed to 1st Book Syndrome, so I won’t end my Harry Dresden journey here, but it better get good quick, because I’m getting tired of mediocrity and less than mediocrity. I’m starving for a 5 star book.

The plotline was good. Enough. Good enough. The characters were fine. They were nothing special and only one other than Harry made any kind of impression on me Murphy. A bit. Thought her taking care of Harry was kind. I’d like to see more of her. I liked Harry, but not a lot. He was.. ok. What really blew it for me was the nonstop droning of Harry’s inner thoughts. Typically, when I get stuck with a book that drones on and on, I skip and skim – you can’t do that with an audio version. Well, you could, but I’m not trying to get into the mess of trying to find my place and all that jazz, especially as I listen to these while driving. The long/short of it is that I spent a lot of my work commute time screaming at my car stereo for Harry to STFUUUUUUUP. Shut up, shut up, shut up! Ugh. I would drift off into random thoughts for minutes at a time and when I’d drift back, he was still droning on about the same stupid shit and I never missed anything important during these attention lapses. Never.

In the “final showdown”, Harry arrives at the villain’s location and proceeds to “inner speak” for nearly 12 MINUTES before even attempting to approach the door. 12 minutes of, I’m Harry Dresden. I am speshul. I am powerful. They can’t bring me down. They don’t know who they’re messing with. I can do this and I can do that and they can’t do this and they can’t do that and I’m the best and I’m unstoppable and I’m so amazing and who do they think they are and I'll show them and I have another 10minutesofthisinfuriatinginnerbantertogobeforeIta​keasinglesteptowardsthestupidfuckingdoorandonandon​… STFUUUUUUP!!! I’m exhausted just thinking about it. I got anxiety listening to this, because I couldn’t skip ahead, as it was the final showdown and therefore, an important part of the story. Meanwhile, he gets his ass handed to him before he kinda lucks out at the end and defeats the villain. Where is all this frikkin power you incessantly speak of, Harry? Anywho, I’ve gone on long enough about it. You get my drift.

There were snippets of good storytelling here and there and I see reviews that mention the series getting better after book 3, so I’m just gonna Wiki book 2 and skim the summary to see what happens. I'm then diving straight into book 3. If that's not better, I dunno if I'll continue.

Lastly, if I could say one thing to Harry, it would be:
Don’t talk about it Harry, BE about it. ( )
  JennyJen | Aug 14, 2014 |
Storm Front's premise is pretty slim.. But Butcher makes it work, through a combination of interesting characters, tight plotting, and fresh, breezy writing. This is definitely not deep reading, but it is a whole lot of fun.
added by Shortride | editSF Site, Victoria Strauss (Aug 1, 2000)

Butcher, Jimprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Langowski, JürgenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGrath, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Debbie Chester, who taught me everything I really needed to know about writing. And for my father, who taught me everything I really needed to know about living. I miss you dad.
I heard the mailman approach my office door, half an hour earlier than usual.
Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.
"An actual wizard?" he asked, grinning, as though I should let him in on the joke. "Spells and potions? Demons and incantations? Subtle and quick to anger?"
"Not so subtle."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451457811, Mass Market Paperback)

For Harry Dresden, Chicago's only professional wizard, business, to put it mildly, stinks. So when the police bring him in to consult on a grisly double murder committed with black magic, Harry's seeing dollar signs. But where there's black magic, there's a black mage behind it. And now that mage knows Harry's name.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:20 -0400)

A modern-day mage and consultant to the police finds his stale life suddenly enlivened by the presence of a rival in the black arts.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,332,374 books! | Top bar: Always visible