Storm Front (The Dresden Files, Book 1) by…

Storm Front (The Dresden Files, Book 1) (edition 2000)

by Jim Butcher

10,064442283 (3.81)2 / 612
Member:sparemethecensor
Title:Storm Front (The Dresden Files, Book 1)
Authors:Jim Butcher
Info:Roc (2000), Edition: First Edition, Mass Market Paperback, 372 pages
Rating:***
Tags:series, paranormal, police, Chicago, drugs, organized crime

Storm Front by Jim Butcher

Fool Moon by Jim Butcher (Siesser)
    Something from the Nightside by Simon R. Green (amberwitch, plutoempress, lookitisheef, DovSherman)
    amberwitch: A tough P.I. with a number of convenient talents making a living and trying to uncover the secrets of his own origin in the magical Nightside of London.
    plutoempress: similar style, though i (and this is my opinion) find john taylor funnier than harry dresden.
    lookitisheef: Jim Butcher and Simon R. Green both have created great supernatural male-lead detective series. I think they provide a nice balance to the girls-kick-butt series out there...don't get me wrong, I love the work of Kim Harrison and Laurell K. Hamilton (to name a couple), but it's nice to see that authors can create plausible male leads in the supernatural fiction world, too.… (more)
    Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch (majkia)
    majkia: both involve paranormal mystery and smart-ass dialog.
    Hounded by Kevin Hearne (clif_hiker, al.vick)
    Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison (cjacklen)
    cjacklen: A crime-fighting witch quits her job to become a PI. Faster pace and more addictive than than "Storm Front".
    Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko (FFortuna)
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (Polenth)
    The Man With The Golden Torc by Simon R. Green (dmacmillan, Scottneumann)
    dmacmillan: Similar in tone to Butcher's Dresden Files but bigger in scope and with perhaps an even wilder storyline.
    The Devil You Know by Mike Carey (amberwitch, TheLibraryhag)
    amberwitch: Same noir feel, more interesting first person narrator. Lovely London descriptions.
    Nightlife by Rob Thurman (gluestick)
    gluestick: Brothers Cal & Niko Leandros battle monsters while on the run from Auphe.Doesn't help that Cal is half Auphe.
    Libriomancer by Jim C. Hines (kqueue)
    kqueue: I found many similarities between Isaac Vainio and Harry Dresden. Both are cynical, powerful, heroes with a dark sense of humor, who are on the fringes of their official organization but are called in to save the day. Both books feature many mythical creatures, and have a good versus evil theme in a fast-paced adventure.… (more)
    Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews (Strict31)
    Strict31: Lotta "urban fantasy" books out there. So many that simply stick to a formula. I was jonesin' hard for some Dresden when I stumbled across the Kate Daniels series. Like Dresden, it's a rare gem among a drawer filled with common stones. Kate doesn't spend her time on her back or pining for super-handsome creatures of the night. And she's not just an action surrogate for a male hero. There is action and there is romance. But it all fits. The series was not created to serve the needs of a genre, but rather, the needs of the character. It's a different type of storyline than Dresden, because the world has been irrevocably changed by the existence of magic. But a lot of the things I go to Dresden to get are also found here.… (more)
    Thicker Than Water (Felix Castor) by Mike Carey (BeckyJG)
    Dead Eye: Pennies for the Ferryman by Jim Bernheimer (enrique_molinero, gluestick)
    gluestick: Lone wolf hero.After coming back from Iraq and getting a donor eye he starts seeing ghosts. Next best thing while waiting for the newest Dresden files book.
    Sweet Silver Blues by Glen Cook (MyriadBooks)
    Unshapely Things by Mark Del Franco (MyriadBooks)
    Among Thieves by Douglas Hulick (ow1goddess)
    The Man Who Walked in Darkness by Chris Strange (Kaczencja)
    The Man Who Crossed Worlds by Chris Strange (terriko)
    Of Saints and Shadows by Christopher Golden (Scottneumann)

English (436)  Swedish (2)  German (2)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All (442)
I've always heard great things about this series, and I remember watching the SyFy show when it was on. This is the first book that I've read though. I did really enjoy it, but not a die hard fan of yet. Well plotted, some twists that keeps you engaged through out. I do enjoy the start of the alternative world that is started here and look forward to finding the next book. ( )
  tabicham | Jul 22, 2017 |
This story ticks all the boxes. Beautifully woven descriptions, crafted with care, and yet also packed so full of action. Not often you get such a good balance between the two. I feel that there is much more depth to Dresden than we've been shown in this first book - good thing there are many more to come! ( )
  CarolynDenman | Jul 21, 2017 |
I like Butcher's characters better than I like his writing style. ( )
  Kitty.Cunningham | Jul 19, 2017 |
After several years of friends recommending the Dresden Files to me, a friend gave me a bunch of the books in the series when she was cleaning out her bookshelves. After reading the first 7 books, I went back and watched the TV show as well, because the characters and world were so compelling. A good read: generally fast paced, with a good mix of humor and horror, and a detective story thrown into the mix. ( )
  ktlavender | Jul 17, 2017 |
I was curious about these books because of the TV show of the same name as the series title, and I think I loved the book even more than the TV show, probably because of the seriousness of the story. Not to say it lacked humor, but that humor was somewhat dry, and seemed fitting for a wizard in modern times.

The pace was at times too fast, with so much to take in all at once, but I could accept that as I knew there was very much to introduce and as with most first novels, the stakes are high. The story was captivating though, with many moments to make you cringe with empathy at what happens to the characters.

I would like to read more in the series. ( )
  cedargrove | Jun 24, 2017 |
Storm Front's premise is pretty slim.. But Butcher makes it work, through a combination of interesting characters, tight plotting, and fresh, breezy writing. This is definitely not deep reading, but it is a whole lot of fun.
added by Shortride | editSF Site, Victoria Strauss (Aug 1, 2000)

Butcher, Jimprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Langowski, JürgenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGrath, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Debbie Chester, who taught me everything I really needed to know about writing. And for my father, who taught me everything I really needed to know about living. I miss you dad.
I heard the mailman approach my office door, half an hour earlier than usual.
Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.
"An actual wizard?" he asked, grinning, as though I should let him in on the joke. "Spells and potions? Demons and incantations? Subtle and quick to anger?"
"Not so subtle."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451457811, Mass Market Paperback)

For Harry Dresden, Chicago's only professional wizard, business, to put it mildly, stinks. So when the police bring him in to consult on a grisly double murder committed with black magic, Harry's seeing dollar signs. But where there's black magic, there's a black mage behind it. And now that mage knows Harry's name.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:03 -0400)

A modern-day mage and consultant to the police finds his stale life suddenly enlivened by the presence of a rival in the black arts.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,171,689 books! | Top bar: Always visible