Summer Knight by Jim Butcher

Summer Knight

by Jim Butcher

Series: The Dresden Files (4)

6,309156965 (4.15)1 / 255

English (153)  Piratical (1)  German (1)  All languages (155)
This book is all about the Fae, arguably the most dangerous creatures in the Dresden universe. Dresden gets into more trouble with these guys than any other. Here, he is hired to investigate the death of the Summer Knight, the "bodyguard" of the Summer Lady. A very intertaining read overall. And who doesn't love Toot Toot? ( )
  jrg1316 | Jun 20, 2019 |
Another good book in the Dresden series. A war is breaking out between the summer and winter fairies, and Dresden is right in the middle of it. My favorite parts of the books are when Dresden is in the mortal world, interacting with his friends. Fairy politics get a little confusing. Why do the fairies have to be so deceitful and mean? They are not at all like my childhood image of happy, nice fairies. I liked the little pixie Toot. He provides much needed comic relief. The werewolfs are pretty cool too. There is a little bit of the wizard Morgan coming after Dresden. I don't like the Morgan character, he is too set on getting rid of Dresden. Overall a fun read. ( )
  readingover50 | Jun 11, 2019 |
This is the 4th book in the Dresden Files. Even though I enjoyed the first three books I think the series is starting to pick up with this book. I really enjoyed it! ( )
  CurlUpAndRead | Jun 10, 2019 |
I think I must quit donating Dresden Files books. They'll probably get reread. I debate why I like these so much. Butcher has too many plot lines and when something doesn't work, he can always just create some other magical rule to apply and solve everything. In spite of the fact that I don't think I should like them I am hopelessly devouring everyone of them and breathlessly awaiting the next. His formation of characters is what I think adds realism. Everyone is falible and the sense of humor is not to be missed. I'll probably start the next one this evening. ( )
  ISCCSandy | Apr 9, 2019 |
  ISCCSandy | Apr 9, 2019 |

Jim Butcherprimary authorall editionscalculated
Chong, VincentIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is for big sisters everywhere who have enough patience not to strangle their little brothers - and particulary for my own sisters, who had more than most. I owe you both so much.
And for Mom, for reasons that are so obvious that they really don't need to be said - but I thought I would make special mention of candy cane cookies and that rocking chair that creaked me to sleep.
It rained toads the day the White Council came to town.
Sometimes the most remarkable things seem commonplace. I mean, when you think about it, jet travel is pretty freaking remarkable. You get in a plane, it defies the gravity of an entire planet by exploiting a loophole with air pressure, and it flies across distances that would take months or years to cross by any means of travel that has been significant for more than a century or three. You hurtle above the earth at enough speed to kill you instantly should you bump into something, and you can only breathe because someone built you a really good tin can that has seams tight enough to hold in a decent amount of air. Hundreds of millions of man-hours of work and struggle and research, blood, sweat, tears, and lives have gone into the history of air travel, and it has totally revolutionized the face of our planet and societies.

But get on any flight in the country, and I absolutely promise you that you will find someone who, in the face of all that incredible achievement, will be willing to complain about the drinks.

The drinks, people.
The last thing the twenty-first century wants to admit is that it might not know everything.

Ever since his girlfriend left town to deal with her newly acquired taste for blood, Harry Dresden has been down and out in Chicago. He can't pay his rent. He's alienating his friends. He can't even recall the last time he took a shower.

The only professional wizard in the phone books has become a desperate man.

And just when it seems things can't get any worse, in saunters the Winter Queen of Faerie. She has an offer Harry can't refuse if he wants to free himself of the supernatural hold his faerie godmother has over him - and hopefully end his run of bad luck. All he has to do is find out who murdered the Summer Queen's right-hand man, the Summer Knight, and clear the Winter Queen's name.

It seems simple enough, but Harry knows better than to get caught in the middle of faerie politics. Until he finds out that the fate of the entire world rests on his solving this case.
No pressure or anything.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451458923, Mass Market Paperback)

Private detective/wizard-for-hire Harry Dresden is suckered into tangling in the affairs of Faerie, where the fate of the entire world-and his soul-are at stake.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:33 -0400)

Now that his girlfriend has left him, professional wizard Harry Dresden can't pay his rent and alienates his friends. He's soon approached by the Winter Queen of Faerie with an offer he can't refuse--all he has to do is find out who murdered the Summer Queen's right-hand man, the Summer Knight, and clear the Winter Queen's name. Soon, Harry finds out that the fate of the entire world rests on his solving this case.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,692,217 books! | Top bar: Always visible