Summer Knight

by Jim Butcher

Series: The Dresden Files (4)

6,743167998 (4.14)1 / 272
Despondent over the loss of his vampire girlfriend, private detective and wizard-for-hire Harry Dresden undertakes a mission for the Winter Queen of Faerie to find out who murdered the Summer Queen's right-hand man, the Summer Knight, and clear the Winter Queen of the crime.

English (165)  Piratical (1)  German (1)  All languages (167)
Fairies. Armies of them. But don't call them fairies, because they don't like it and they have claws and fangs and monstrous powers that mortals (even wizards) either fear or get cut down by.

And Harry is stuck working for one of their Queens, investigating the death of the Summer Knight (kind of the mortal weapon/sheriff for the Queens). He's trying to avoid an all-out war among the Summer and Winter Courts, which would be apocalyptic to the mortal realm.

More fun, thrills, danger, and some heavyweight magic battles, along the way. Trolls, pixies, unicorns and a council of wizards who debate executing Harry, if he survives everything else.

Oh, and a blast from the past who may be the death of him. (you know, assuming everyone else fails)

I've definitely become a Jim Butcher fan. ( )
1 vote James_Patrick_Joyce | Oct 24, 2020 |
This episode in the Dresden files definitely gave me a new view on fairies. I got a taste of it with Harry's fairy godmother in previous installments, but this book definitely gave more character to the fairy world created by Jim Butcher. It started off slowly with Harry moping around, but definitely picked up pace quickly. ( )
  jguidry | Sep 27, 2020 |
5 stars - easily one of my very favorite books. I think this may have been the fifth time through this book if i count reading it in paperback, then listening to it several times on Audible, and now reading it in hardcover. In fact, I've enjoyed The Dresden Files books so much that i made it a several year mission to acquire all of the books in hardcover versions so they can stand up to being re-read every few years. Honestly, Jim Butcher's first 3 books in the Dresden Files where not written all that well. His skill and ability to craft a story has grown over his years of writing, and THIS book is the first truly well written book in the Dresden Files. It has excellent characters, and delves into the back story and explanations of both the Summer and Winter courts of the fae without it being at all tedious. This book is simply a joy to read. Oh, and it has a great ending. ( )
  JohnKaess | Jul 23, 2020 |
I read this series so fast I honestly don't have time to post updates. Most of them would just say things like wow. Oh my God. Wow. Seriously.

I am so glad I was told about this series through an online friend in one of the Amazon forums. I found that the pace of this book moved quite quick and we still had Harry doing his best to protect everyone but himself. Seriously sometimes I wanted to yell at Harry. If you die, you do know you can't do anything right?

Having Harry get more involved with the world of the fae was great. We have Mab the Queen of the Winter Court of the Sidhe who visits Harry. And man Mab scared the crap out of me. The way that Butcher describes her made me think of Maleficent. Harry agrees to a deal with Mab in order to get out of the thumb of his crazy fairy godmother (literally) who we were introduced to in earlier books.

There were a lot of new characters to get familiar with in this book. And we had to learn about the Summer Court (if there is a Winter, there is a Summer) and that was also fascinating to read about. Butcher did a lot of world building in this book which worked.

Butcher still writes Harry like a proverbial smart-ass who is one of the last knights roaming the world. I hope to read more about the Sidhe court and other characters we meet for the first time like Elaine (read below). I loved Elaine since she read like the female Harry to me.

Additionally, the settings at times were literally otherworldly and Butcher writes all of it as if these are real places he has been to time and time again.

That said, I still ended up giving this book in the Dresden Files series four stars. That was because I felt like everything but the kitchen sink was included in this one. We have the Council (wizard) politics and Harry still dealing with what happened when he went up against the Red Court (vampires) in the last book. With the fae being in this one we did not also need everything included with the Council and the vampires too.

In fact, I felt like this book was an overstuffed sandwich. Still quite tasty, but I was going to have a stomach ache when I finished eating (reading). There was just a lot of things to comprehend fast since everything moved at such a break neck pace. Did I mention we also have Harry dealing with his former childhood love in this book too? Yeah that was also thrown in. Frankly with all of the elements that Butcher included in this book, none of it should have flowed together that well. However, everything did work together.
We pretty much had at least two plots going on during this book (fae and wizard council). If you just focus on that you can see how everything else in the book relates to those two things.

Definitely looking forward to book five in the series, Death Masks. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
reread ( )
  Tip44 | Jun 30, 2020 |

Jim Butcherprimary authorall editionscalculated
Chong, VincentIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is for big sisters everywhere who have enough patience not to strangle their little brothers - and particulary for my own sisters, who had more than most. I owe you both so much.
And for Mom, for reasons that are so obvious that they really don't need to be said - but I thought I would make special mention of candy cane cookies and that rocking chair that creaked me to sleep.
It rained toads the day the White Council came to town.
Sometimes the most remarkable things seem commonplace. I mean, when you think about it, jet travel is pretty freaking remarkable. You get in a plane, it defies the gravity of an entire planet by exploiting a loophole with air pressure, and it flies across distances that would take months or years to cross by any means of travel that has been significant for more than a century or three. You hurtle above the earth at enough speed to kill you instantly should you bump into something, and you can only breathe because someone built you a really good tin can that has seams tight enough to hold in a decent amount of air. Hundreds of millions of man-hours of work and struggle and research, blood, sweat, tears, and lives have gone into the history of air travel, and it has totally revolutionized the face of our planet and societies.

But get on any flight in the country, and I absolutely promise you that you will find someone who, in the face of all that incredible achievement, will be willing to complain about the drinks.

The drinks, people.
The last thing the twenty-first century wants to admit is that it might not know everything.

Ever since his girlfriend left town to deal with her newly acquired taste for blood, Harry Dresden has been down and out in Chicago. He can't pay his rent. He's alienating his friends. He can't even recall the last time he took a shower.

The only professional wizard in the phone books has become a desperate man.

And just when it seems things can't get any worse, in saunters the Winter Queen of Faerie. She has an offer Harry can't refuse if he wants to free himself of the supernatural hold his faerie godmother has over him - and hopefully end his run of bad luck. All he has to do is find out who murdered the Summer Queen's right-hand man, the Summer Knight, and clear the Winter Queen's name.

It seems simple enough, but Harry knows better than to get caught in the middle of faerie politics. Until he finds out that the fate of the entire world rests on his solving this case.
No pressure or anything.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,750,032 books! | Top bar: Always visible