Summer Knight (Dresden Case Files) by Jim…

Summer Knight (Dresden Case Files) (edition 2005)

by Jim Butcher

Member:othersam
Title:Summer Knight (Dresden Case Files)
Authors:Jim Butcher
Info:Orbit (2005), Paperback, 416 pages

Summer Knight by Jim Butcher

English (144)  Piratical (1)  German (1)  All languages (146)
This fourth installment of the Dresden Files series finds our hero essentially strung out and on the verge of a break down after the traumatic ending from book 3 (Grave Peril). Once again Harry Dresden is called upon to solve a murder, but this time his client is none other than the Faerie Winter Queen, who has bought Harry's debt from his Godmother and now wants his help to find a murderer and recover something that was stolen. That might be easy enough to do, except the vampires of the Red Court are gunning for Harry, and the White Council has basically given him one more chance to prove his worth, or be thrown to the vampires as a peace offering. It's never easy being Harry Dresden.

As with all of Butcher's books about the troubled wizard in Chicago, I loved this installment. The gritty, noir world that Butcher creates is always fun to visit, and the characters are top notch. In Summer Knight I really like that Harry finally gets it through his stubborn head that he can't always do this on his own. Yes, he is chivalrous to a fault, but he's learning that people (friends - gasp) are willing to help him. And this time he needs all the help he can get.

I also love that we learn a lot more about Harry this time, about his past, and what happened with him after he fought his first master, Justin. The interactions that Harry has with the White Council were quite fun, and it was nice to see the larger wizard-world being shown. I also liked that characters that have appeared in the earlier books were making a return engagement, helping to create a living world.

My one quibble comes at the end of the book when the events have been resolved. Harry was given a task by the White Council, which he completed, but there was no resolution with the Council. You assume that there was a conclusion, and that Harry at least passed the test given him, but I really wanted more interaction - especially between Harry and the Warder, Morgan. I wanted to see that interaction play out, as well as the reaction of the senior council, and that didn't happen in this book. That was a disappointment for me and why I knock a whole star off my rating.

I "read" the audio version of the book, narrated by James Marsters. Marsters does an excellent job of making Dresden's world seem real. He is engaging, and his narration really makes Dresden and the other characters come to life.

Despite my quibble, this is a wonderful installment in the Dresden Files series. If you've read the previous books you probably know that already. If you've never picked up any of these books I highly recommend that you do. ( )
  GeoffHabiger | Jun 12, 2018 |
This was a stay up late reading kind of book. The only thing that I didn't like was all the review of the previous life events (books). You could treat this as a standalone book but if you do you might not want to read the previous books. ( )
  Jerry.Yoakum | Jun 3, 2018 |
Summer Knight
3.5 Stars

An definite improvement on Grave Peril.

The world building in this installment focuses on the Fae, and more specifically, on the conflict between the Summer and Winter courts. The political machinations and allegiances of the various Fae are complex and it is difficult at times to keep track of the different characters and the factions they belong to. Nevertheless, it all comes together at the end, and the climax and resolution are exciting and satisfying.

The plot revolving around the murder of the Summer Knight and the theft of his Mantle of Magic has potential but is poorly executed. There are numerous suspects, however, their motives are never quite clear and Harry's investigation is overshadowed by unrelated plot points, such as the return of an old girlfriend, his problems with the White Council, the wizards war with the vampires, etc.

Harry is an amalgamation of opposites. On the one hand, he is strong-willed, resourceful, has a good heart and good intentions. On the other, he is sardonic, self-absorbed and not a little chauvinistic. He is also a mediocre wizard despite indications that there is something special about him, and he barely manages to survive his encounters with the various villains and monsters in the book.

The secondary cast are wonderful and contribute to making this a fun read. Harry's friend and police contact, the sharp-witted and kick-ass Karrin Murphy, plays a slight larger role although she still doesn't get enough page time. Bob the Skull, Toot the Fairy and his warrior pixies, as well as Billy and the Alphas, all return to flesh out the character pool alongside some new additions, such as the Changelings and the Gatekeeper, a particularly intriguing wizard on the White Council.

Finally, James Marsters narration improves with each book and his voices for the minor characters are truly excellent. He also manages to convey Harry's sarcastic wit so well and there are many laugh-out-loud moments - so beware when listening in public. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |

Summer Knight is book 4 in The Dresden Files series. This novel treats us to the major powerhouses in the Dresden world: the Fae, the White Council, and the Vampires. It’s an illuminating installment both for the readers and Harry.

At the start of Summer Knight we are about 9 months from the events that took place in [b:Grave Peril|91476|Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, #3)|Jim Butcher|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1266470209s/91476.jpg|803205] and war has happened between vampires and wizards. Harry starts out in a bad place, but by the end he’s transformed into a person better able to deal with the pitfalls tossed in front of him. He finally realizes some things and turns to friends. He gained insight and growth as a character.

A lot occurs during this novel. Several new characters are introduced over the course of the murder investigation into the Summer Knight. We are treated to Billy and the wolf pack from [b:Fool Moon|91477|Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2)|Jim Butcher|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1345556849s/91477.jpg|855288]. They are around and helping Harry out. Harry finally trusts Deactivate Karen Murphy and shares everything with her. I was also thrilled to finally see him open up and share with Murphy. I was thrilled to finally meet and see the elusive White Council that we have heard of. I liked that we got additional information about Harry’s past and his first love, Elaine, who pops back up. And, last the mythology of the Fae is expanded on abundantly.

I found Summer Knight immensely entertaining and enjoyable. I liked the mystery, diging into Harry’s past, and I loved that Harry finally confided in Murphy.

Rated: 4 Stars

angels_gp | Apr 26, 2018 |
While this book wasn't terrible, I think I'm going to put the reading of the series on hold for now. It's just not as entertaining as I wanted it to be, and I think I might just not be in the right place to really appreciate them :) I'll revisit the series after I put a little distance to it :) ( )
  fogisbeautiful | Feb 13, 2018 |

Jim Butcherprimary authorall editionscalculated
Chong, VincentIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is for big sisters everywhere who have enough patience not to strangle their little brothers - and particulary for my own sisters, who had more than most. I owe you both so much.
And for Mom, for reasons that are so obvious that they really don't need to be said - but I thought I would make special mention of candy cane cookies and that rocking chair that creaked me to sleep.
It rained toads the day the White Council came to town.
Sometimes the most remarkable things seem commonplace. I mean, when you think about it, jet travel is pretty freaking remarkable. You get in a plane, it defies the gravity of an entire planet by exploiting a loophole with air pressure, and it flies across distances that would take months or years to cross by any means of travel that has been significant for more than a century or three. You hurtle above the earth at enough speed to kill you instantly should you bump into something, and you can only breathe because someone built you a really good tin can that has seams tight enough to hold in a decent amount of air. Hundreds of millions of man-hours of work and struggle and research, blood, sweat, tears, and lives have gone into the history of air travel, and it has totally revolutionized the face of our planet and societies.

But get on any flight in the country, and I absolutely promise you that you will find someone who, in the face of all that incredible achievement, will be willing to complain about the drinks.

The drinks, people.
The last thing the twenty-first century wants to admit is that it might not know everything.

Ever since his girlfriend left town to deal with her newly acquired taste for blood, Harry Dresden has been down and out in Chicago. He can't pay his rent. He's alienating his friends. He can't even recall the last time he took a shower.

The only professional wizard in the phone books has become a desperate man.

And just when it seems things can't get any worse, in saunters the Winter Queen of Faerie. She has an offer Harry can't refuse if he wants to free himself of the supernatural hold his faerie godmother has over him - and hopefully end his run of bad luck. All he has to do is find out who murdered the Summer Queen's right-hand man, the Summer Knight, and clear the Winter Queen's name.

It seems simple enough, but Harry knows better than to get caught in the middle of faerie politics. Until he finds out that the fate of the entire world rests on his solving this case.
No pressure or anything.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451458923, Mass Market Paperback)

Private detective/wizard-for-hire Harry Dresden is suckered into tangling in the affairs of Faerie, where the fate of the entire world-and his soul-are at stake.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:33 -0400)

Now that his girlfriend has left him, professional wizard Harry Dresden can't pay his rent and alienates his friends. He's soon approached by the Winter Queen of Faerie with an offer he can't refuse--all he has to do is find out who murdered the Summer Queen's right-hand man, the Summer Knight, and clear the Winter Queen's name. Soon, Harry finds out that the fate of the entire world rests on his solving this case.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,013,908 books! | Top bar: Always visible