Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, Book 4) by…

Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, Book 4) (edition 2002)

by Jim Butcher

Title:Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, Book 4)
Authors:Jim Butcher
Info:Roc (2002), Mass Market Paperback, 371 pages
Tags:2012, Urban Fantasy

Summer Knight by Jim Butcher

English (111)  Piratical (1)  All languages (112)
James Marsters continues to astonish me with his sexy, sarcastic as hell, voice over of Harry Dresden. Listening to this book was like eating my favorite candy, - I couldn't get enough. Even if previous book struck me as more dramatic, stronger installment, I still enjoyed the heck out of this one. Off to the next one. Another fabulous audiobook! ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |

Cross-posted to Knite Writes

We rejoin Harry Dresden and his utterly fantastic life to discover he’s been living in a state of crippling depression and obsession since his beloved girlfriend Susan got infected with vampire thirst. So, an average day for Chicago’s only favorite wizard PI.

And it only gets better from there!

Harry gets contracted to Winter Queen Mab due to his godmother selling off his longstanding debt to her — what does Mab want him to do? Find out who killed the Summer Knight and stole his power, of course. With the Faerie Courts now out of balance, a global weather-driven apocalypse is inevitable, and Harry has a limited amount of time before Summer and Winter go to war.

On top of that, the Order of Wizardly Assholes White Council wants to strip Harry of his wizard title so they can legally give to the Red Court vampires in a vain attempt to mellow out the war Harry started in the previous book — a war he had a right to start, mind you, given that Bianca kidnapped and turned Susan…and tried to kill Harry, Michael, and several other innocent people. But, of course, the Council doesn’t have time for common sense. Luckily, Harry manages to weasel his way out of being given to the vampires — by agreeing to do what Mab has already asked him to. If he doesn’t find out who killed the Summer Knight, Mab won’t let the Council use the pathways in her part of the Nevernever.

After a whirlwind of fights — that include but are not limited to 1) battling a giant plant monster in a Wal-Mart 2) escpaing from a mind-numbing mist, 3) getting tossed around by an ogre, 4) running from an evil unicorn, 5) the betrayal (sorta) of Harry’s long-lost love Elaine , 5) nearly getting shot to death by dudes with machine guns, 6) almost getting assassinated by a ghoul, and 7) running head-first into a climactic Faerie war zone — Harry discovers that the Summer Lady, Aurora, had the traitorous Winter Knight, Lloyd Slate, kill the Summer Knight so that she could unbalance the Courts and end the immortal feud between them. At the cost of most life on planet Earth.

What a wonderful plan.

After getting his ass whooped several times in a row (like usual), Harry manages to save the day with the help of his many friends, including Toot-Toot the fairy, who has now dubbed Harry the “Pizza Lord.” The Summer Lady is defeated, her plan is thwarted, and Harry avoids getting served up to the vampires.

Then he gets to go home and brood about Susan some more.

Cue Sequel!

My Take

Wow, this one was fun. On some levels, it was actually a few steps lighter in tone than Grave Peril. Which I didn’t mind because it shifted focus in order to add a layer of incredibly important world-building to the series. Where Grave Peril developed the idea of the Vampire Courts and the monstrous Red Court vampires, Summer Knight fleshes out the Faerie Courts, specifically the Winter Court and Queen Mab, both of which are heavily foreshadowed to be important elements later in the series.

What I really like about Butcher is his ability to introduce entirely new concepts while continuing to develop previous plot lines. Without missing a beat, Butcher manages to seamlessly tie the vampire and faerie story lines together without forcing the former to unnecessarily interfere with the latter. We are always aware of the vampire plot unfolding in the background, occasionally affecting Harry’s life even while he’s primarily dealing with the fey — nothing is lost in the transition from one distinct mythos to the other. To manage such a complex and multifaceted universe takes a lot of skill and planning. Again, I applaud Butcher for his plotting skills. They have yet to disappoint me.

Like in previous books, we are introduced to another new group of characters, while recurring characters either appear as important figures or peripheral figures. Like in previous books, these characters are well-established from the get-go; Butcher gives you all the details you need to understand their personalities and motivations — at least from Harry’s perspective, which is the one that matters, given the POV. Like in previous books, all the new characters tie in perfectly with the plot and make excellent additions to the ever-growing cast. You can easily see how many of the new characters can and will fit into future plot lines.

In other words, this book was excellent.

(Note: I’m not going to go over the Harry is sexist thing again. I’ve repeated that enough times already. Read my Storm Front review for the rant.)

Witty. Consistent. The same Jim Butcher as last time and the time before that and the time before that.

Is It Worth Reading?

Sure is. It’s not quite as morbid as the last book, and it finally scratches that itch to see the much-discussed Faerie Courts.

4/5 ( )
  ClaraCoulson | Nov 16, 2015 |
Summer Knight is the fourth Book I've read in Jim Butcher's 15-book series, The Dresden Files; it is (so far) my favorite. The pace was a lively one . . I didn't find the storyline draaaaaging at any point along the way - it held my interest throughout. New characters were introduced, the plethora of twists 'n' turns were nicely incorporated and, when all was said and done, I was sorry to see the story end!! That having been said, I'm eagerly anticipating Book #5! Highly recommended if you enjoy the contemporary fantasy/mystery genre . . and, highly recommended if you don't enjoy the contemporary fantasy/mystery genre. I was not a fan of this particular book type until I read Storm Front - Jim Butcher's first book in the The Dresden Files series! Five stars. ( )
  idajo2 | Nov 3, 2015 |
Summer Knight is a fun book, but a person new to the series would miss many nuances. At the very least the third book, Grave Peril, should be read first.

Harry gains some depth of character in this volume. His earlier actions have had consequences and Harry realizes that he must make some things right. The pace builds and Kindle with its "only 7 minutes minutes to read the chapter" notes conspired to keep me reading "just one more chapter" before doing the next chore.

The best recommendation: volume five is downloaded for me to read. ( )
  Jean_Sexton | Sep 26, 2015 |
Oh, Mr. Dresden. Why must you be so awesome and yet so annoying?

I love this series, but I've learned I have to steel myself for the two cringetastic moments that occur regularly in the Harry Dresden novels.

1. Harry always makes some scathing remark about how tough his job is since people don't believe in the supernatural anymore. Because apparently this series is set in a society that's completely different from our own. Yes, I understand the world's a little different from our own in these books; but the author is asking me to believe that people have stopped being superstitious. Or maybe everybody I know suddenly stopped believing in ghosts, astrology, zombies, vampires, demon possession, Ouija boards, Tarot cards, telepathy, and/or the positive power of talking to plants, and they forgot to mention it to me.

2. Harry has to say something about "chivalry" or "helping damsels in distress" instead of just kicking ass and getting his damned job done, already. I mean, what century is it when your supernaturally powerful opponent is threatening not just your life but (kind of, long story) the whole damned world, and when you finally get a shot at her, you preface it with a statement about how you guess it wasn't very gentlemanly of you, but you really had to punch her?

The fact that I keep giving these books four stars means they manage to be amazing in spite of some serious button-pushing on these two fronts. The fact that they never quite earn five from me is because, well, see above.

I can't talk about pretty much any of the plot here, because all the stuff I want to discuss (including one thing that really bugged me) is serious spoiler-alert territory. If anyone feels like chatting, meet me in the comments section.

I will say this, though: Pizza saves the day.

P.S. Buffy's "Spike" narrates these audiobooks, but he doesn't bring his awesome fake British accent. You should listen to them anyway. He does great work.
  Deborah_Markus | Aug 8, 2015 |

Jim Butcherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chong, VincentIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

This book is for big sisters everywhere who have enough patience not to strangle their little brothers - and particulary for my own sisters, who had more than most. I owe you both so much.
And for Mom, for reasons that are so obvious that they really don't need to be said - but I thought I would make special mention of candy cane cookies and that rocking chair that creaked me to sleep.
It rained toads the day the White Council came to town.
Sometimes the most remarkable things seem commonplace. I mean, when you think about it, jet travel is pretty freaking remarkable. You get in a plane, it defies the gravity of an entire planet by exploiting a loophole with air pressure, and it flies across distances that would take months or years to cross by any means of travel that has been significant for more than a century or three. You hurtle above the earth at enough speed to kill you instantly should you bump into something, and you can only breathe because someone built you a really good tin can that has seams tight enough to hold in a decent amount of air. Hundreds of millions of man-hours of work and struggle and research, blood, sweat, tears, and lives have gone into the history of air travel, and it has totally revolutionized the face of our planet and societies.

But get on any flight in the country, and I absolutely promise you that you will find someone who, in the face of all that incredible achievement, will be willing to complain about the drinks.

The drinks, people.

Ever since his girlfriend left town to deal with her newly acquired taste for blood, Harry Dresden has been down and out in Chicago. He can't pay his rent. He's alienating his friends. He can't even recall the last time he took a shower.

The only professional wizard in the phone books has become a desperate man.

And just when it seems things can't get any worse, in saunters the Winter Queen of Faerie. She has an offer Harry can't refuse if he wants to free himself of the supernatural hold his faerie godmother has over him - and hopefully end his run of bad luck. All he has to do is find out who murdered the Summer Queen's right-hand man, the Summer Knight, and clear the Winter Queen's name.

It seems simple enough, but Harry knows better than to get caught in the middle of faerie politics. Until he finds out that the fate of the entire world ress on his solving this case.
No pressure or anything.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451458923, Mass Market Paperback)

Private detective/wizard-for-hire Harry Dresden is suckered into tangling in the affairs of Faerie, where the fate of the entire world-and his soul-are at stake.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:33 -0400)

Now that his girlfriend has left him, professional wizard Harry Dresden can't pay his rent and alienates his friends. He's soon approached by the Winter Queen of Faerie with an offer he can't refuse--all he has to do is find out who murdered the Summer Queen's right-hand man, the Summer Knight, and clear the Winter Queen's name. Soon, Harry finds out that the fate of the entire world rests on his solving this case.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,875,651 books! | Top bar: Always visible