Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, Book 4) by…

Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, Book 4) (edition 2002)

by Jim Butcher

Member:PiyushC
Title:Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, Book 4)
Authors:Jim Butcher
Info:Roc (2002), Mass Market Paperback, 371 pages
Rating:***
Tags:2012, Urban Fantasy

Summer Knight by Jim Butcher

Recently added bygecizzle, kmv, LukeandJen, RabidReads, Curiosity64, Psyko2, ShawnWilkie, kenzen, jrcamp001, private library

English (102)  Piratical (1)  All languages (103)
I liked the story. Great action. Great characters. I want to read more. I like the fact that each story has a conclusion.I look forward to the next one. ( )
  jaddington | Feb 16, 2015 |
  jaddington | Feb 16, 2015 |
Harry Dresden is being blamed for the war between the White Council (wizards) and the Red Court (vampires), and in the meantime he has to get in the middle of the war between the Summer and Winter Faeries. Throw in a long-lost love, a plant beast, and a werewolf or two, and you have quite the adventure. I like Dresden stories because they don't sugarcoat things. Harry's job is, very often, dangerous and uncomfortable and doesn't even pay very well. But he's likable and funny, which keeps me coming back time after time. ( )
  melydia | Jan 12, 2015 |
Sigh.

This book continues the patterns I found so concerning in Grave Peril. All the powerful women are portrayed as freaking scary, just the having of the power is the reason given for the fear. The cool police officer is taken out of the action in the book -again-, though she does save Harry's butt. The problem I have there is that she slips on marbles strewn on the floor. Wanna guess who put the marbles on the floor in an effort to trip the bad guys? Yup. The male protagonist. His action takes the only "good" female in the novel out by injuring her. Oy.

Secondly, there are all these very, very active women running around, making lots of decisions, good and bad, dominating their underlings since that is what women with power in this series apparently do when they do what they do. And at the end of the story, the mantle of power passes from one of these active women, who admittedly made bad decisions while trying to do good and is incidentally portrayed as insane, passes to a girl named Lily. Wanna guess what Lily spent the whole book doing? She was turned into a statue before the action of the story even started. She -literally- spent the story as a passive object, yes, seen but not heard, and THAT is the female behavior rewarded by the narrative.

HUGE problems here people. This is a HIGHLY traditional portrayal of gender roles.

The book does continue the theme of Harry having to live in a world where he can't save everyone, and having to live with this very real failure. This I see as socially productive. It is a restructuring and exploration of what it means to be a man in a society where the gender rules touted by the machinations of the 50's no longer apply. This is productive, and consistent with the larger generic interrogation of new gender models.

But dear GAWD. The deep seated fear of the feminine that saturates these books is incredible. Their popularity speaks loud and clear to the fact that we, as a society, have a whole lot of unresolved issues where female empowerment is concerned. ( )
  librarycatnip | Jan 12, 2015 |
Harry Dresden has hit rock bottom following the opening moves of war with the Red Vampire Court that left Susan a vampire in the previous Dresden File. in order to get back in the game, and save his own life, Harry must prove his loyalty to the White council by solving a murder that occurred amongst the fairy queens in the never never. Harry teams up with some unlikely colleagues to solve the crime and, of course, save the world.

Summer Knight is a fun and entertaining novel full of the usual Harry Dresden wit. ( )
  JechtShot | Jan 9, 2015 |

Jim Butcherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chong, VincentIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

This book is for big sisters everywhere who have enough patience not to strangle their little brothers - and particulary for my own sisters, who had more than most. I owe you both so much.
And for Mom, for reasons that are so obvious that they really don't need to be said - but I thought I would make special mention of candy cane cookies and that rocking chair that creaked me to sleep.
It rained toads the day the White Council came to town.
Sometimes the most remarkable things seem commonplace. I mean, when you think about it, jet travel is pretty freaking remarkable. You get in a plane, it defies the gravity of an entire planet by exploiting a loophole with air pressure, and it flies across distances that would take months or years to cross by any means of travel that has been significant for more than a century or three. You hurtle above the earth at enough speed to kill you instantly should you bump into something, and you can only breathe because someone built you a really good tin can that has seams tight enough to hold in a decent amount of air. Hundreds of millions of man-hours of work and struggle and research, blood, sweat, tears, and lives have gone into the history of air travel, and it has totally revolutionized the face of our planet and societies.

But get on any flight in the country, and I absolutely promise you that you will find someone who, in the face of all that incredible achievement, will be willing to complain about the drinks.

The drinks, people.

Ever since his girlfriend left town to deal with her newly acquired taste for blood, Harry Dresden has been down and out in Chicago. He can't pay his rent. He's alienating his friends. He can't even recall the last time he took a shower.

The only professional wizard in the phone books has become a desperate man.

And just when it seems things can't get any worse, in saunters the Winter Queen of Faerie. She has an offer Harry can't refuse if he wants to free himself of the supernatural hold his faerie godmother has over him - and hopefully end his run of bad luck. All he has to do is find out who murdered the Summer Queen's right-hand man, the Summer Knight, and clear the Winter Queen's name.

It seems simple enough, but Harry knows better than to get caught in the middle of faerie politics. Until he finds out that the fate of the entire world ress on his solving this case.
No pressure or anything.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451458923, Mass Market Paperback)

Private detective/wizard-for-hire Harry Dresden is suckered into tangling in the affairs of Faerie, where the fate of the entire world-and his soul-are at stake.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:44 -0400)

Now that his girlfriend has left him, professional wizard Harry Dresden can't pay his rent and alienates his friends. He's soon approached by the Winter Queen of Faerie with an offer he can't refuse--all he has to do is find out who murdered the Summer Queen's right-hand man, the Summer Knight, and clear the Winter Queen's name. Soon, Harry finds out that the fate of the entire world rests on his solving this case.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,799,601 books! | Top bar: Always visible