Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, Book 4) by…

Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, Book 4) (edition 2002)

by Jim Butcher

Member:PiyushC
Title:Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, Book 4)
Authors:Jim Butcher
Info:Roc (2002), Mass Market Paperback, 371 pages
Rating:***
Tags:2012, Urban Fantasy

Summer Knight by Jim Butcher

Recently added bytygress, tigerlyly, Meredy, private library, NickHowes, evilcupcakes, macmaxbh, hjwesten, WilGbn, Gabriel_F

English (105)  Piratical (1)  All languages (106)
Summer Knight is a very interesting read, though the storyline could have developed a little faster-paced, since I, personally, was too bored through some chapters. That said, the storyline itself was great - captivating and full of twists, my favorite kind. Though it could have been just as great without that Wal-Mart debacle, and those completely useless and boring characters, Meryl, Fix and Ace. The war between Summer and Winter was a great idea, as well as the White Council's coming to town. And I loved the fact that Harry finally told Murphy everything - she was less a cop and more a friend in Summer Knight. All in all, a very enjoyable read. ( )
  v_allery | Apr 19, 2015 |
This series just keeps getting better and better! In this fourth installment Harry Dresden has to not only deal with the Wizard's White Council and the Vampire's Red Court, but the Fairy Courts of Summer and Winter. He has to do a nearly impossible job for the Winter Queen and if he fails that then he will be revoked of his wizard status by the White Council, who would in turn hand him over to the Red Court to end the wizard vampire feud. No matter which way he turns, Harry runs into boatloads of trouble. He has to call on Billy and his werewolf gang to help him, but then he is worried about jeopardizing their lives. And to top it all off, someone who he hasn't seen in over a decade waltzes back into his life. Non-stop action and the creepy crawlies keep getting scarier. Well worth a read or listen :) ( )
  ecataldi | Mar 21, 2015 |
This was an enlightening installment in that we got to learn more about the major powerhouses that make up this universe: the fae, the White Council of wizards, and the vampires. I enjoyed the previous book slightly more than this one because it was high on humour, and even though SUMMER KNIGHT did have its moments, it was primarily plot driven. Additional info about Harry's past comes to light including what went wrong with his first love, Elaine, and his humble beginnings as an apprentice. Learning the ins and the outs of the various courts' politics was interesting, and I'm beginning to look forward to the secondary characters' antics almost as much as Dresden's. James Marsters really brings this series to the next level with his over-the-top creature voices, and by nailing Harry's blasé attitude. NEXT! ( )
  RabidReads | Mar 6, 2015 |
I liked the story. Great action. Great characters. I want to read more. I like the fact that each story has a conclusion.I look forward to the next one. ( )
  jaddington | Feb 16, 2015 |
  jaddington | Feb 16, 2015 |

Jim Butcherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chong, VincentIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

This book is for big sisters everywhere who have enough patience not to strangle their little brothers - and particulary for my own sisters, who had more than most. I owe you both so much.
And for Mom, for reasons that are so obvious that they really don't need to be said - but I thought I would make special mention of candy cane cookies and that rocking chair that creaked me to sleep.
It rained toads the day the White Council came to town.
Sometimes the most remarkable things seem commonplace. I mean, when you think about it, jet travel is pretty freaking remarkable. You get in a plane, it defies the gravity of an entire planet by exploiting a loophole with air pressure, and it flies across distances that would take months or years to cross by any means of travel that has been significant for more than a century or three. You hurtle above the earth at enough speed to kill you instantly should you bump into something, and you can only breathe because someone built you a really good tin can that has seams tight enough to hold in a decent amount of air. Hundreds of millions of man-hours of work and struggle and research, blood, sweat, tears, and lives have gone into the history of air travel, and it has totally revolutionized the face of our planet and societies.

But get on any flight in the country, and I absolutely promise you that you will find someone who, in the face of all that incredible achievement, will be willing to complain about the drinks.

The drinks, people.

Ever since his girlfriend left town to deal with her newly acquired taste for blood, Harry Dresden has been down and out in Chicago. He can't pay his rent. He's alienating his friends. He can't even recall the last time he took a shower.

The only professional wizard in the phone books has become a desperate man.

And just when it seems things can't get any worse, in saunters the Winter Queen of Faerie. She has an offer Harry can't refuse if he wants to free himself of the supernatural hold his faerie godmother has over him - and hopefully end his run of bad luck. All he has to do is find out who murdered the Summer Queen's right-hand man, the Summer Knight, and clear the Winter Queen's name.

It seems simple enough, but Harry knows better than to get caught in the middle of faerie politics. Until he finds out that the fate of the entire world ress on his solving this case.
No pressure or anything.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451458923, Mass Market Paperback)

Private detective/wizard-for-hire Harry Dresden is suckered into tangling in the affairs of Faerie, where the fate of the entire world-and his soul-are at stake.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:33 -0400)

Now that his girlfriend has left him, professional wizard Harry Dresden can't pay his rent and alienates his friends. He's soon approached by the Winter Queen of Faerie with an offer he can't refuse--all he has to do is find out who murdered the Summer Queen's right-hand man, the Summer Knight, and clear the Winter Queen's name. Soon, Harry finds out that the fate of the entire world rests on his solving this case.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,928,723 books! | Top bar: Always visible