Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, Book 4) by…

Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, Book 4) (edition 2002)

by Jim Butcher

4,95193926 (4.17)184
Member:PiyushC
Title:Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, Book 4)
Authors:Jim Butcher
Info:Roc (2002), Mass Market Paperback, 371 pages
Rating:***
Tags:2012, Urban Fantasy

Summer Knight by Jim Butcher

Recently added bybaronsteffan, DBReads, MABoone, ScoutJ, Glennis.LeBlanc, Kathleen.HIll, private library
Chicago (105) crime (36) detective (98) Dresden (103) Dresden Files (347) ebook (54) faerie (92) fairies (41) fantasy (649) fiction (358) Harry Dresden (97) horror (27) Jim Butcher (43) Kindle (27) magic (214) mystery (223) novel (27) own (26) paperback (40) paranormal (82) read (81) science fiction (50) series (95) sff (49) supernatural (81) to-read (59) urban fantasy (468) vampires (107) werewolves (58) wizards (253)

Usually by book four in a series, things are starting to get repetitive, predictable, and dull. Not so here. Butcher??s world and relationships continue to expand in new ways. Harry and his friends are continually entertaining. Bring on book five!
http://www.fantasyliterature.com/fantasy-author/butcherjim/ ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
*Book source ~ Purchased at Audible

Harry Dresden, Wizard Extraordinaire and Private Investigator is in the dumps because his girlfriend has left town to deal with the after effects of being bitten by a Red Court vampire. He needs to get his act together because he needs money for rent and everyday living, but instead the Winter Queen walks into his office and offers him a job he can’t refuse. He has to find the real killer of the Summer Queen’s Summer Knight and clear her name or the two Faerie Courts will go to war. In exchange for doing this one little (yeah, right) thing for her she will grant the White Council passage through her realm while they fight their own war with the Red Court. Oh, and she has taken over his debt to his godmother which means he now owes Mab the debt. Harry has to find a killer, prevent a war that would destroy most of mankind, win safe passage for the White Council and pay off his new debt with the Winter Queen. All in a days work for Chicago’s only wizard.

Guest Reviewers:
A: my 16-yr-old daughter
T: my 14-yr-old son
K: my 13-yr-old son

This series continues to entertain the kids (and me). We all love Harry. The humor is a big hit still, the magic is always interesting and the mystery keeps us guessing.

Many favorite characters are back such as Bob, Murphy, the Alphas, Thomas, Michael and Toot-Toot. In addition to meeting many of the Fae and some Changelings we met Elaine, Harry’s very first love and who he thought was dead. Surprise! We also got to meet many of the White Council and more importantly the wizards of the Senior Council including Ebenezer McCoy who took Harry in when he was a teenager and was his mentor.

Everyone liked the battle with the troll and the Chlorofiend at Walmart and it was unanimous that the big battle at the end was awesome. Everyone enjoyed all of the information pertaining to the Faerie Courts. They did not like many of the Fae, but then who does? The loved meeting the Senior Council. They were very surprised at who killed the Summer Knight.

Favorite quote: “I stretched out my hand, adrenaline and pain giving me plenty of fuel for the magic, and called, 'Ventas servitas!' Wind leapt out in a sudden spurt, seizing the Unraveling and tearing it from Aurora's fingers, sending it spinning through the air toward me. I caught it, stuck my tongue out at Aurora, yelled, 'Meep, meep!' and ran like hell.”

Narration: Marsters is improving as the series goes along. He’s done a much better job in this one than in previous ones though his pronunciations sometimes aren’t quite right. ( )
  AVoraciousReader | Apr 2, 2014 |
Τα σπάει. ( )
  Antonis.Papadakis | Jan 30, 2014 |
Early in the series, number 4 for the full length additions, this is a little rough compared to Jim Butcher’s later additions to the series, but it fits Harry Dresden’s character very well. If you came into the series late, like I did, this will fill in a lot of background and material you encounter later in the series makes even more sense. Totally engrossing as a story, I’m giving this a four star rating. ( )
1 vote PghDragonMan | Jan 1, 2014 |
I was becoming worried that although I enjoy this series and plan to finish all the books, that it wasn't measuring up completely. I'm happy to say that Summer Knight was the book that made me fall in love with this series! I'll keep this review super short and say that it was the best so far, no doubt! My favorite part (without giving away any major plot points) was when Dresden calls Toot Toot out towards the end, if you've read this book then you know how truly amazingly hilarious that scene was! Great book, read it! ( )
  Brandon.Sharp | Dec 12, 2013 |

Jim Butcherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chong, VincentIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

This book is for big sisters everywhere who have enough patience not to strangle their little brothers - and particulary for my own sisters, who had more than most. I owe you both so much.
And for Mom, for reasons that are so obvious that they really don't need to be said - but I thought I would make special mention of candy cane cookies and that rocking chair that creaked me to sleep.
It rained toads the day the White Council came to town.
Sometimes the most remarkable things seem commonplace. I mean, when you think about it, jet travel is pretty freaking remarkable. You get in a plane, it defies the gravity of an entire planet by exploiting a loophole with air pressure, and it flies across distances that would take months or years to cross by any means of travel that has been significant for more than a century or three. You hurtle above the earth at enough speed to kill you instantly should you bump into something, and you can only breathe because someone built you a really good tin can that has seams tight enough to hold in a decent amount of air. Hundreds of millions of man-hours of work and struggle and research, blood, sweat, tears, and lives have gone into the history of air travel, and it has totally revolutionized the face of our planet and societies.

But get on any flight in the country, and I absolutely promise you that you will find someone who, in the face of all that incredible achievement, will be willing to complain about the drinks.

The drinks, people.

Ever since his girlfriend left town to deal with her newly acquired taste for blood, Harry Dresden has been down and out in Chicago. He can't pay his rent. He's alienating his friends. He can't even recall the last time he took a shower.

The only professional wizard in the phone books has become a desperate man.

And just when it seems things can't get any worse, in saunters the Winter Queen of Faerie. She has an offer Harry can't refuse if he wants to free himself of the supernatural hold his faerie godmother has over him - and hopefully end his run of bad luck. All he has to do is find out who murdered the Summer Queen's right-hand man, the Summer Knight, and clear the Winter Queen's name.

It seems simple enough, but Harry knows better than to get caught in the middle of faerie politics. Until he finds out that the fate of the entire world ress on his solving this case.
No pressure or anything.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451458923, Mass Market Paperback)

Private detective/wizard-for-hire Harry Dresden is suckered into tangling in the affairs of Faerie, where the fate of the entire world-and his soul-are at stake.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:44 -0400)

Now that his girlfriend has left him, professional wizard Harry Dresden can't pay his rent and alienates his friends. He's soon approached by the Winter Queen of Faerie with an offer he can't refuse--all he has to do is find out who murdered the Summer Queen's right-hand man, the Summer Knight, and clear the Winter Queen's name. Soon, Harry finds out that the fate of the entire world rests on his solving this case.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,239,035 books! | Top bar: Always visible