Summer Knight (Dresden Files, Book 4) by Jim…

Summer Knight (Dresden Files, Book 4) (edition 2002)

by Jim Butcher

Member:kissmeimgone
Title:Summer Knight (Dresden Files, Book 4)
Authors:Jim Butcher
Info:Roc (2002), Mass Market Paperback, 371 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****

Summer Knight by Jim Butcher

Recently added byCaptLiesmith, echoindarkness, mpawloski, peezaroni, JAHunter13, MaraBlaise, private library

English (97)  Piratical (1)  All languages (98)
I am really enjoying this series. As each novel unfolds, one realizes that Harry Dresden is involved in some serious (stuff). Having Harry work to prevent a war between Winter and Summer was an ingenious plot device, and you really get the sense that even bigger things are coming. Great read. ( )
  utbw42 | Dec 8, 2014 |
I was very disappointed by Summer Knight. I have read three other Dresden Files books by Butcher and enjoyed them. However, I just did not like this story about wizard Dresden battling to resolve a war involving the Faerie Queen of Winter and the Faerie Queen of Summer and their underlings. Even though it had plenty of action, Dresden’s life was in peril several times, and I still like the Dresden character, this particular story just did not resonate with me. ( )
  clark.hallman | Dec 1, 2014 |
I have read and reviewed this before, so this is only a review of the audio version of the story, as read by James Marsters. He is Harry. The perfect inflections, tone and mood for a wise-cracking, intense young man who is trying to save his part of the world, if not the whole world. ( )
  MrsLee | Oct 19, 2014 |
Summer Knight by Jim Butcher is the 4th of the Dresden Files. Although I listened to the first three books as read by James Marsters, the death my laptop made listening to MP3 audios too much work. For the moment I am continuing on, therefore, with the paperbacks my husband bought years ago.

Harry Dresden, wizard of Chicago, has his toughest case yet. He must find the killer of the Summer Queen's knight. Crivens! Sorry. Fair folk put me in a very different state of mind.

The problem here is that Harry for all his prowess as a wizard is a complete dolt. Fairies are very good at charming people; it's their thing. Fairies aren't exactly subtle with their trickery. But they do follow their own rules and if you want to survive, you need to know them.

Harry, sure, he's been going through a bought of depression after his last case (Grave Peril). But he really seems to be trying to commit suicide by fae in this book. Or he's O.D.ed on idiot juice.

Or maybe I've just been spoiled by better told versions of the same story. First and foremost, there's Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett and Sarah Zettel's American Fairy series (Dust Girl, Golden Girl, and Bad Luck Girl) which are all better versions of the on-going strife between the Seelies and the Unseelies. ( )
  pussreboots | Aug 30, 2014 |
Usually by book four in a series, things are starting to get repetitive, predictable, and dull. Not so here. Butcher??s world and relationships continue to expand in new ways. Harry and his friends are continually entertaining. Bring on book five!
http://www.fantasyliterature.com/fantasy-author/butcherjim/ ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |

Jim Butcherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chong, VincentIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

This book is for big sisters everywhere who have enough patience not to strangle their little brothers - and particulary for my own sisters, who had more than most. I owe you both so much.
And for Mom, for reasons that are so obvious that they really don't need to be said - but I thought I would make special mention of candy cane cookies and that rocking chair that creaked me to sleep.
It rained toads the day the White Council came to town.
Sometimes the most remarkable things seem commonplace. I mean, when you think about it, jet travel is pretty freaking remarkable. You get in a plane, it defies the gravity of an entire planet by exploiting a loophole with air pressure, and it flies across distances that would take months or years to cross by any means of travel that has been significant for more than a century or three. You hurtle above the earth at enough speed to kill you instantly should you bump into something, and you can only breathe because someone built you a really good tin can that has seams tight enough to hold in a decent amount of air. Hundreds of millions of man-hours of work and struggle and research, blood, sweat, tears, and lives have gone into the history of air travel, and it has totally revolutionized the face of our planet and societies.

But get on any flight in the country, and I absolutely promise you that you will find someone who, in the face of all that incredible achievement, will be willing to complain about the drinks.

The drinks, people.

Ever since his girlfriend left town to deal with her newly acquired taste for blood, Harry Dresden has been down and out in Chicago. He can't pay his rent. He's alienating his friends. He can't even recall the last time he took a shower.

The only professional wizard in the phone books has become a desperate man.

And just when it seems things can't get any worse, in saunters the Winter Queen of Faerie. She has an offer Harry can't refuse if he wants to free himself of the supernatural hold his faerie godmother has over him - and hopefully end his run of bad luck. All he has to do is find out who murdered the Summer Queen's right-hand man, the Summer Knight, and clear the Winter Queen's name.

It seems simple enough, but Harry knows better than to get caught in the middle of faerie politics. Until he finds out that the fate of the entire world ress on his solving this case.
No pressure or anything.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451458923, Mass Market Paperback)

Private detective/wizard-for-hire Harry Dresden is suckered into tangling in the affairs of Faerie, where the fate of the entire world-and his soul-are at stake.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:44 -0400)

Now that his girlfriend has left him, professional wizard Harry Dresden can't pay his rent and alienates his friends. He's soon approached by the Winter Queen of Faerie with an offer he can't refuse--all he has to do is find out who murdered the Summer Queen's right-hand man, the Summer Knight, and clear the Winter Queen's name. Soon, Harry finds out that the fate of the entire world rests on his solving this case.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,400,560 books! | Top bar: Always visible