Tam Lin by Pamela Dean

Tam Lin (1991)

by Pamela Dean

Series: The Fairy Tale Series (5)

1,719636,317 (4.03)102
    Fire and Hemlock by Diana Wynne Jones (Aquila)
    The Wood Wife by Terri Windling (gwernin)
    Miss Pym Disposes by Josephine Tey (bmlg)
    bmlg: common setting of the community of young women facing academic and personal pressures, in addition to an engaging genre plot
    A College of Magics by Caroline Stevermer (bmlg)
    bmlg: in the midst of a fantasy quest, an engaging, lively, and realistic portrayal of the community of young female scholars

Sorry, Isabel. But nothing happens for ages and ages.
  miri12 | May 31, 2019 |
I am almost 200 pages in and I think I am going to give this up. I normally love stories that occur in an academic setting, but this one is so bogged down in the minutiae of college life that I cannot find the actual story. So far, Janet has moved into her dorm room, made a few friends, had some classes, eaten in the cafeteria, and seen a show. There are loads of irrelevant details about the architecture, the grounds, the food, the professors' quirks, her friends' clothes, and so on... of course you want to present a fully-realized world but this is all there is, and it's overkill.
  chaosfox | Feb 22, 2019 |
DNF at 30%, may re-approach. Prose was dreamy, it just lost some momentum for me.
  ktshpd | Oct 22, 2018 |
I'm not sure of my rating yet; I have to think on it. ( )
  capriciousreader | Mar 20, 2018 |
This is the third time I've read this large volume and both times were before I could record my thoughts. The first time I read it I felt such a huge amount of regret about the way that my own college years went. It was almost a manual about how to stick with a major you like, not one your (graduating) boyfriend likes in your freshman year.

The second time I read it, the regrets went away and I read an entertaining story. But I still felt there were things I didn't "get" in the history of Janet and her friends.

This third time is the charm. I read it with a sense of unreality of the re-telling and the characters. My biggest question was, what 18 year old incoming freshman has read Tolkien, Shakespeare, Eddison, and Eliot and can quote them from memory at a moment's notice? Her relationship with Nick is a bit long for an unsuccessful college-age romance, and I felt the same sense of unbalance in the book itself as I did with Book 4 (or 5?) of the Harry Potter series: the entire first half of the book is her freshman year. I think it was Book 5 in the Harry Potter series where the first 180 pages is devoted to Harry's first *week* back in Hogwarts after Cedric Diggory's death. Same thing here. There is just too much detail on books, quotes, where a particular hall is located and walking over the stone bridge vs. the other bridge over a lack that is a wooden bridge, and which hall is new and which is over the steam tunnels . . . too many details that really remain unused, even at the tail end.

The important part of this story, that of Janet's rescue of Thomas, is devoted to a strong romance of a few months and the last 10 pages dealing with the rescue itself. I would have much preferred an underlying dynamic that is less about Janet and the many books she reads and instead a romance and an exploration of the Fairy Queen that forms a stronger backbone through this huge book. ( )
  threadnsong | Aug 6, 2017 |

Pamela Deanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Canty, ThomasCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Duewell, KristinaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stone, StevenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Windling, TerriEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is a retelling of

This book is for Terri Windling
The year Janet started at Blackstock College, the Office of Residential Life had spent the summer removing from all the dormitories the old wooden bookcases that, once filled with books, fell over unless wedged.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0812544501, Mass Market Paperback)

A modern retelling of an ancient Scottish fairy tale sets the story of a girl whose lover is stolen by the Queen of Faeries against the backdrop of a midwestern college campus in the late sixties. Reprint.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:30 -0400)

This Scottish-based tale for adults offers a pregnant heroine who must rescue the man who seduced her in the woods from his captor, the Fairie Queen.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,389,412 books! | Top bar: Always visible