The Ancient Future : The Dark Age 1st in the…

The Ancient Future : The Dark Age 1st in the Trilogy (edition 2000)

by Traci Harding

Member:miketheriley
Title:The Ancient Future : The Dark Age 1st in the Trilogy
Authors:Traci Harding
Info:Harper Collins (2000), Paperback
Rating:***1/2
Tags:alternate reality, Time Travel, fantasy, Romance

The Dark Age by Traci Harding

Starts off all right, but soon becomes a struggle to finish as the irritating characters do increasingly stupid things and act completely out of character for their time period. Better than the rest of the series though, which degenerates to the old reincarnation through the ages trope. The main chatacter apparently never meets anyone new where ever she travels in time, just the same old people over and over again. To make matters worse they look uncannily alike, even though seperated by hundreds of years. To make matters worse still, the souls of different characters occupy the uncannily alike bodies of one of the other characters (just to make things a bit different)... even though they are not genetically related in any way. I managed to finish them with gritted teeth. How, I am not sure. The series put me off buying new authors unread. ( )
  Archmage | Apr 5, 2016 |
ANCIENT FUTURE
  rustyoldboat | May 28, 2011 |
I have read the entire series and very much enjoyed it. I am now reading her new series and look forward to more of her books comming out. For people who don't like the book and write reviews. I would love to know why you don't like it.

I love that it's a historical Fantasy about the immortal line of humans. And that a large part is about Australia (I feel that I can relate to it as Im also an aussie). ( )
  lexy2011 | May 6, 2008 |
Traci Harding has done a lot of research for her Ancient Future trilogy. Her references to New Age, Theosophy and mythology are quite accurate.
However, I have some gripes to go with this. Tory Alexander is very much a Mary Sue character, fluent in obscure languages, awesome at martial arts and incredibly hot to boot. She can't seem to do anything truly wrong.
Also, this book could have truly done with some MUCH better editing. The idea to use archaic English forms for speaking another language is inspired, but the use is very inconsistent and often blatantly breaks grammatical agreement for number, case and person.

The Ancient Future and its following companion volumes are very fun escapist fiction, but don't expect a great work of literature or deep character studies. Just go with it and smile. ( )
1 vote Choreocrat | Jan 4, 2008 |
Crap, total crap. Gave up half way through. ( )
  samwilson2007au | Dec 2, 2007 |

A Celtic/Druid fantasy, in which a young woman is transported back in time and space to the Dark Age when she spends the night at a stone circle in Britain. So begins a fantastic adventure of Celtic warriors and brave deeds, told with energy and enthusiasm by this young author.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:47 -0400)

One evening, an accident leaves Tory stranded near a ring of stones. Mysteriously, she is taken back to the Dark Age where she meets Prince Maelgwn of Gwynedd and his band of warriors. She soon overcomes their fear and the tales of her adventures, bravery and beauty spread across the land.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,350,651 books! | Top bar: Always visible