The Beekeeper's Apprentice: Or On the…

The Beekeeper's Apprentice: Or On the Segregation of the Queen/A… (original 1994; edition 2007)

by Laurie R. King

Member:Roblynn_
Title:The Beekeeper's Apprentice: Or On the Segregation of the Queen/A Novel of Suspense Featuring Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes (Mary Russell Novels)
Authors:Laurie R. King
Info:Picador (2007), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 384 pages

The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King (1994)

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie: A Flavia de Luce Mystery by Alan Bradley (clif_hiker, 47degreesnorth)
    47degreesnorth: Younger heroine and more precocious but similar
    A Monstrous Regiment of Women by Laurie R. King (catpal1)
    catpal1: All of the books in this series are wonderful. It's such a fresh take on the Sherlock Holmes fiction: the give-and-take reminds me of the old Kate Hepburn/Spencer Tracy pairings.
    A Red Herring Without Mustard: A Flavia de Luce Novel by Alan Bradley (47degreesnorth)
    The Seven-Per-Cent Solution by Nicholas Meyer (markusnenadovus)
    Maisie Dobbs by Jacqueline Winspear (Sally604)
    Sally604: Mysteries set in the same era with a female detective - lots of fun to read.
    The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag: A Flavia de Luce Novel by Alan Bradley (47degreesnorth)
    47degreesnorth: No Holmes but younger more precocious heroine with a thirst to solve the case.
    New Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Martin Harry Greenberg (Othemts)
    Mr. Churchill's Secretary by Susan Elia MacNeal (yonitdm)
    yonitdm: They both feature brilliant, strong women as main characters, plus mystery, intrigue, and many, many cups of tea.
    The Final Solution. A Story of Detection by Michael Chabon (laytonwoman3rd)
    laytonwoman3rd: This book also features an elderly beekeeper who does some detecting, and who we are meant to understand to be Sherlock Holmes, although his name is not mentioned.
    Chalice by Robin McKinley (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: To continue a bit of the bee theme.
    And Only to Deceive by Tasha Alexander (nessreader)
    Mr Holmes by Mitch Cullin (Othemts)
    Sherlock Holmes and the Red Demon by Larry Millett (Othemts)
    Holmes on the Range by Steve Hockensmith (clif_hiker)

English (248)  Piratical (1)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  All languages (251)
It's been a while since I read this; I remember liking it but I don't remember it well enough to rate it, hence my usual 3 stars. ( )
  tkcs | Feb 23, 2019 |
Maybe it’s because I don’t have much prior knowledge of Sherlock Holmes, but for the most part I found this novel slow going and might not have finished if it wasn’t our book club selection. ( )
  Gingermama | Feb 19, 2019 |
Such a clever plot. Take an established character like Sherlock Holmes and re-imagine him after retirement, living in the country and tending his beloved bees. Although he is only in his late 50s Holmes wants nothing more to do with solving crimes and revealing the truth behind mysteries...until he meets Mary Russell. She is ever bit the investigator he had been in his heyday and then some. He cannot help but be drawn to her keen sense of observation, her energized brain and her innate talent as an investigator.
Despite being nearly three times her age, it is interesting to watch Homes get closer to Mary emotionally and how she reacts to it. When there is physical contact between them Mary is clutched by sudden awareness of his physicality. There is a subtle shift to their relationship and what each wants from it.
The final mystery in The Beekeeper's Apprentice threatens the lives of both Mary and Holmes. They are in so much danger people around them start paying the consequences. It takes everything in Sherlock and Russell's combined powers of investigation to stay alive. ( )
  SeriousGrace | Feb 5, 2019 |
Being a Sherlock Holmes fan, I approached this one with a bit of trepidation. Some pastiches have fallen rather flat with me so I was pleasantly surprised, and quite taken, with both King’s version of a much older Holmes and young Mary Russell. Such an odd, and yet perfectly matched pair of intellects! Told from the point of view of Mary, this is just as much a coming-of-age historical novel as it is a detective/mystery story. Also, in my personal opinion, King (and the audiobook narrator, Jenny Sterlin) nailed the personality, mannerisms, quirks and nuances of the great detective, taking into account the gradual decline in certain faculties we all may fall prey to as we age. As for Mary, King has crafted a wonderful character to take on the mantle of a female detective with many of the same qualities of Holmes. Not surprising, the first part of the book is more focused on Mary’s apprenticeship and the growing friendship between Holmes and Russell. The verbal sparing between the two of them – like two goats ready to but horns – is good for a chuckle or two! The bond of friendship is wonderful to observe and is a strong one between Holmes and Russell, even if Mary continues to Holmes as Holmes while she comes to refer to Dr. Watson as Uncle John. As for the mystery – yes, they do find themselves embroiled in detection (and not necessarily by choice) – King provides readers with a new and wonderful sinister cat and mouse game to rival Holmes’ earlier battles with his arch nemesis, Moriarty, providing for some growing suspense.

Overall, a true reading delight for this Sherlock Holmes fan and I never thought I would say this, but I am quite happily adding the Mary Russell series to my already burgeoning list of series reading. ( )
  lkernagh | Dec 14, 2018 |
I finished this book late last night. I found this book boring most of the time. I didn't get drawn in from the beginning like I wanted to. There were times when the book was interesting, but alas I cannot remember specific locations. I have enjoyed Sherlock Holmes stories but the way it was incorporated into this story just wasn't my cup of tea.

I am not going to let this book stop me from reading other books written by Laurie R. King. I will look at what else she has written and see if they are possibly something I would be interested in reading. ( )
  crazy4reading | Dec 4, 2018 |

Laurie R. Kingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sterlin, JennyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For another M.R., my mother, Mary Richardson
I was fifteen when I first met Sherlock Holmes, fifteen years old with my nose in a book as I walked the Sussex Downs, and I nearly stepped on him.
He said nothing. Very sarcastically.
My main passions were becoming theoretical Mathematics and the complexities of Rabbinic Judaism, two topics which are dissimilar only on the surface.

U raskošnoj galeriji likova koju je za sobom ostavio Arthur Conan Doyle gdje središnje mjesto zauzima portret Sherlocka Holmesa, pored njega, osim slike dr. Watsona, ostao je prazan okvir savršeno podoban da udomi prkosni profil jedne gospođice.
Američka književnica Laurie R. King, dobitnica dviju prestižnih nagrada za najbolji kriminalistički roman godine, odvažno je odlučila ispuniti taj okvir likom mlade Mary Russell.
Jednog sunčanog dana u travnju 1915. nedaleko od svoje kuće u Sussexu Mary Russell umalo je nagazila na pognuta pedesetogodišnjaka potpuno zaokupljena promatranjem pčela. Drska i načitana, petnaestogodišnjakinja briljantna uma i zadivljujuće sposobnosti dedukcije, izmamit će od inače ženama nesklonog Holmesa iznenađen komentar. “Pa to zna razmišljati!”
Tako će početi naukovanje Mary Russell, buduće suradnice djelomično umirovljenog slavnog detektiva Sherlocka Holmesa. Njihove zajedničke avanture zabilježene su u pet dosad objavljenih romana i zacijelo predstavljaju najvjerniji nastavak književnog rada Arthura Conana Doylea.
Laurie R. King u svojim je djelima uspjela vjerodostojno dočarati ton, ugođaj i duh vremena, zadržavši izvornu cjelovitost Holmesova karaktera i pritom kao ravnopravnu protutežu stvorila potpuno samostalan, oštrouman, duhovit i zanosan ženski lik.
Roman Pčelareva naučnica Laurie R. King s engleskoga je, u ukradenom vremenu između dvije Patricije Cornwell, prevela Martina Gračanin, a ilustraciju na naslovnici izradio je Igor Kordej, uz napomenu da su oba crna lovca namjerno naslikana na bijelim poljima jer negativci uvijek igraju prljavo.
Old Holmes meets his match
She's his child-bride and partner
Together they sleuth
(pickupsticks)

An Agatha Award Best Novel Nominee

Named One of the Century's Best 100 Mysteries by the Independent

Mystery Booksellers Association

From New York Times bestselling author Laurie R. King comes the book that introduced us to the ingenious Mary Russell–Sherlock Holmes mysteries

In 1915, Sherlock Holmes is retired and quietly engaged in the study of honeybees when a young woman literally stumbles into him on the Sussex Downs. Fifteen years old, gawky, egotistical, and recently orphaned, the young Mary Russell displays an intellect to impress even Sherlock Holmes--and match him wit for wit. Under his reluctant tutelage, this very modern twentieth-century woman proves a deft protégée and a fitting partner for the Victorian detective. In their first case together, they must track down a kidnapped American senator's daughter and confront a truly cunning adversary--a bomber who has set trip wires for the sleuths and who will stop at nothing to end their partnership. Full of brilliant deductions, disguises, and dangers, this first book of the Mary Russell--Sherlock Holmes mysteries is "wonderfully original and entertaining . . . absorbing from beginning to end" (Booklist).

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:08 -0400)

Chance meeting with a Sussex beekeeper turns into a pivotal, personal transformation when fifteen-year-old Mary Russell discovers that the beekeeper is the reclusive, retired detective Sherlock Holmes, who soon takes on the role of mentor and teacher.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,377,943 books! | Top bar: Always visible