The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R.…

The Beekeeper's Apprentice (original 1994; edition 2002)

by Laurie R. King

Member:Cruiseheimers
Title:The Beekeeper's Apprentice
Authors:Laurie R. King
Info:Bantam (2002), Paperback, 384 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:historical fiction

The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King (1994)

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley (clif_hiker, 47degreesnorth)
    47degreesnorth: Younger heroine and more precocious but similar
    A Red Herring Without Mustard by Alan Bradley (47degreesnorth)
    A Monstrous Regiment of Women by Laurie R. King (catpal1)
    catpal1: All of the books in this series are wonderful. It's such a fresh take on the Sherlock Holmes fiction: the give-and-take reminds me of the old Kate Hepburn/Spencer Tracy pairings.
    The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag by Alan Bradley (47degreesnorth)
    47degreesnorth: No Holmes but younger more precocious heroine with a thirst to solve the case.
    The Seven-Per-Cent Solution by Nicholas Meyer (markusnenadovus)
    Mr. Churchill's Secretary by Susan Elia MacNeal (yonitdm)
    yonitdm: They both feature brilliant, strong women as main characters, plus mystery, intrigue, and many, many cups of tea.
    Maisie Dobbs by Jacqueline Winspear (Sally604)
    Sally604: Mysteries set in the same era with a female detective - lots of fun to read.
    New Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Martin Harry Greenberg (Othemts)
    The Final Solution. A Story of Detection by Michael Chabon (laytonwoman3rd)
    laytonwoman3rd: This book also features an elderly beekeeper who does some detecting, and who we are meant to understand to be Sherlock Holmes, although his name is not mentioned.
    Chalice by Robin McKinley (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: To continue a bit of the bee theme.
    The Tale of Hill Top Farm by Susan Wittig Albert (dreamydress48)
    dreamydress48: Same time period; also a cozy mystery. Great series in general.
    The Thirty-Nine Steps by John Buchan (dreamydress48)
    Mr Holmes by Mitch Cullin (Othemts)
    Sherlock Holmes and the Red Demon by Larry Millett (Othemts)
    Holmes on the Range by Steve Hockensmith (clif_hiker)

English (214)  Piratical (1)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  All languages (217)
A young American girl about to study at Oxford meets Sherlock Holmes near her farm on the Downs. She is feisty and intelligent. Things happen and they have adventures together.

Holmes is a beautifully drawn character with light and shadow. Russell is a character told in the first person, so she feels a little less well drawn, but still interesting.

The writing is excellent and hums along. There are lovely vignettes of life in the Britain in the early years of the World War I. I enjoyed it immensely. ( )
  devilish2 | Sep 24, 2016 |
Having never had read any Sherlock Holmes novels, I was curious about this book. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. The story begins with a young girl, Mary Russell's first encounter with the famous Holmes. It continues as their friendship builds and they go on to solve crimes together. Very enjoyable.
I will probably seek out a work or two by Doyle. ( )
  AstridG | Sep 23, 2016 |
This is absolutely my most favorite series ever! Every book in the series is fantastic-5 star! If you like Sherlock Holmes, you have to read this pastiche. It's the best one I've read yet. ( )
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
Ok, I got to page 60 and am calling it quits.

The Watson bashing is already in full swing.
There is a scene that was basically copied out of Pride and Prejudice.
This is all wrong and too disturbing.

I'm sorry, I am just not compatible with pastiche when it concerns my favourite characters. ( )
  BrokenTune | Aug 21, 2016 |
Overall it was a speedy and enjoyable read. Two things (perhaps 2 1/2) kept this from 4 star territory. First, Mary's voice is dispassionate, cold, ridiculously logical. The same could be said of Holmes' voice, and that is why Watson is so important. It is Watson who humanizes Holmes. Here though we have two leads with flat affects. The humorlessness makes parts of this a real plod. The author also does a disservice to Watson, who is portrayed as a sweet fool, a portrayal at odds with Conan Doyle's writing. Second, the first 50 pages or so simply go on for too long to no purpose. I had a very hard time engaging with the book as a result, but it did eventually pull me in. I guess the final endorsement is that I will likely seek out Book 2 in the series. ( )
  Narshkite | Aug 2, 2016 |

Laurie R. Kingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sterlin, JennyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For another M.R., my mother, Mary Richardson
I was fifteen when I first met Sherlock Holmes, fifteen years old with my nose in a book as I walked the Sussex Downs, and I nearly stepped on him.
He said nothing. Very sarcastically.
My main passions were becoming theoretical Mathematics and the complexities of Rabbinic Judaism, two topics which are dissimilar only on the surface.

U raskošnoj galeriji likova koju je za sobom ostavio Arthur Conan Doyle gdje središnje mjesto zauzima portret Sherlocka Holmesa, pored njega, osim slike dr. Watsona, ostao je prazan okvir savršeno podoban da udomi prkosni profil jedne gospođice.
Američka književnica Laurie R. King, dobitnica dviju prestižnih nagrada za najbolji kriminalistički roman godine, odvažno je odlučila ispuniti taj okvir likom mlade Mary Russell.
Jednog sunčanog dana u travnju 1915. nedaleko od svoje kuće u Sussexu Mary Russell umalo je nagazila na pognuta pedesetogodišnjaka potpuno zaokupljena promatranjem pčela. Drska i načitana, petnaestogodišnjakinja briljantna uma i zadivljujuće sposobnosti dedukcije, izmamit će od inače ženama nesklonog Holmesa iznenađen komentar. “Pa to zna razmišljati!”
Tako će početi naukovanje Mary Russell, buduće suradnice djelomično umirovljenog slavnog detektiva Sherlocka Holmesa. Njihove zajedničke avanture zabilježene su u pet dosad objavljenih romana i zacijelo predstavljaju najvjerniji nastavak književnog rada Arthura Conana Doylea.
Laurie R. King u svojim je djelima uspjela vjerodostojno dočarati ton, ugođaj i duh vremena, zadržavši izvornu cjelovitost Holmesova karaktera i pritom kao ravnopravnu protutežu stvorila potpuno samostalan, oštrouman, duhovit i zanosan ženski lik.
Roman Pčelareva naučnica Laurie R. King s engleskoga je, u ukradenom vremenu između dvije Patricije Cornwell, prevela Martina Gračanin, a ilustraciju na naslovnici izradio je Igor Kordej, uz napomenu da su oba crna lovca namjerno naslikana na bijelim poljima jer negativci uvijek igraju prljavo.
Old Holmes meets his match
She's his child-bride and partner
Together they sleuth
(pickupsticks)

An Agatha Award Best Novel Nominee

Named One of the Century's Best 100 Mysteries by the Independent

Mystery Booksellers Association

From New York Times bestselling author Laurie R. King comes the book that introduced us to the ingenious Mary Russell–Sherlock Holmes mysteries

In 1915, Sherlock Holmes is retired and quietly engaged in the study of honeybees when a young woman literally stumbles into him on the Sussex Downs. Fifteen years old, gawky, egotistical, and recently orphaned, the young Mary Russell displays an intellect to impress even Sherlock Holmes--and match him wit for wit. Under his reluctant tutelage, this very modern twentieth-century woman proves a deft protégée and a fitting partner for the Victorian detective. In their first case together, they must track down a kidnapped American senator's daughter and confront a truly cunning adversary--a bomber who has set trip wires for the sleuths and who will stop at nothing to end their partnership. Full of brilliant deductions, disguises, and dangers, this first book of the Mary Russell--Sherlock Holmes mysteries is "wonderfully original and entertaining . . . absorbing from beginning to end" (Booklist).

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:08 -0400)

Chance meeting with a Sussex beekeeper turns into a pivotal, personal transformation when fifteen-year-old Mary Russell discovers that the beekeeper is the reclusive, retired detective Sherlock Holmes, who soon takes on the role of mentor and teacher.… (more)

Laurie R. King is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,100,309 books! | Top bar: Always visible