Easy Labor: Every Woman's Guide to Choosing…

Easy Labor: Every Woman's Guide to Choosing Less Pain and More Joy During…

by William Camann

Overall, a pretty good read, and I would say a "must read" for anyone who wants detailed information about all of the possible routes you can take during labor and delivery--medical and natural. The biggest lesson I took from this book was that it is wise to go into one's labor with an open mind. As much as we would all like a natural, easy delivery, unexpected things can happen and it's best to be informed about all possible scenarios.
  KristySP | Apr 21, 2013 |
Easy Labor is an excellent book on pain management during childbirth. Written by an obstetrician who is clearly in favour of routine epidurals use, the book still gives excellent coverage to alternate techniques and a voice to those who believe in natural childbirth. Having read Easy Labor, I have a deeper appreciation for the need to master the pain reduction techniques of natural childbirth and a greater understanding of when to ask for an epidural. Easy Labor is also much more thorough than the typical pregnancy book on reporting the various large scale medical studies on pain relief and the mother's perception of the birth experience - and it does so in addition to the use of the popular "birth story" datum - including several from obstetricians, mid wives, and labor nurses. It provided the most thorough analysis of risks of pain relief in childbirth that I have read. Of all the books I have read on pregnancy, I feel this one gives the most thorough treatment of the issue pain during birth.

As this was one of the last books I read on childbirth, and many of the others I read were bias towards natural childbirth, there is an excellent chapter on the history of pain relief in labour later in the book which I wish had been moved to the front. Whereas today common thesis is that pain relief and medical intervention is hoisted upon unwanting women, Easy Labor reminds of us of the time when it was a fight for the medical profession to use existing techniques on women, especially those of the 'lower classes" - a story that is not be forgotten. ( )
  piefuchs | Aug 31, 2008 |
This was a wonderful book about childbirth. The authors walk you through "full-throttle pain relief", such as epidurals and spinal blocks; alternative methods, including self-hypnosis, birth balls and birthing pools, complete with testimonials from those who have tried them; and advice from caregivers, including obstetricians, nurses and anesthesiologists.

Written in a reassuring and accessible tone, this book left me feeling reassured and more fully informed about the labor process. ( )
  bearette24 | Dec 31, 2007 |

THE FIRST COMPLETE, COMPREHENSIVE GUIDE TO PAIN RELIEF DURING LABOR AND DELIVERY

Far too many expectant mothers find themselves unprepared when labor begins and natural techniques don’t effectively manage the pain. This indispensable guide provides reassuring, proven approaches to combining medical and natural techniques to ensure the most comfortable pain-free labor possible. In Easy Labor, you’ll discover

• what to expect during labor, and key factors that affect your comfort
• the facts on epidurals, safety concerns, and how effectively they reduce pain
• the pros and cons of pain-relief medications
• complementary and alternative methods, including water immersion, acupuncture, hypnosis, massage, and birth balls
• how your choice of hospital or birth center affects your pain-management options
• techniques to calm and eliminate the specific fears and stresses associated with childbirth

So relax and enjoy your pregnancy, with this important book by your side!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:14 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,125,889 books! | Top bar: Always visible