The Dancing Floor by Barbara Michaels

The Dancing Floor (1997)

by Barbara Michaels

Gardening in a Gothic romance -- what's not to like? I enjoyed this book because so much is plausible; the heroine had a good reason for being at the mansion and there was a reason for her staying there. There were almost too many men for the heroine to choose from. I didn't see the ending at all, although there were clues in hindsight. If I had one complaint, it was that the ending felt rushed a bit.

If you like Gothics, this should be on your list. ( )
  Jean_Sexton | Mar 12, 2017 |
This was my first Michaels book and i really liked it. Actually its been my favorite Michaels book so far. ( )
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
I loved this book. Heather sneaks her way into a garden after being denied entrance and finds herself in a maze. She stumbles across a statue that scares the piss out of her and runs blindly out of the maze. Only to fall right at the feet of the owner who denied her entrance and his son, Jordan. After hearing her last name their attitudes toward Heather turns from hostel to friendly. The owner insists that she stays in the mansion with them until she heals from her injuries from running through the maze. Soon Heather finds herself interested in the garden the owner is trying to restore, the little boy that turns up missing, and the weird things that are happening to people who get too close to the maze. The town the mansion is in is known for its legendary witchcraft trials and all the information and folklore on that subject was really interesting. The town and people in this book were fabulous and I loved the mystery that was centered on the maze.

My only problem with the book was that the climax was more of a fizzle than it was a pop. There was all this build up about the maze and when they finally went in, it was only for few minutes. Another problem I had was with the way the villain was disposed of. What happened was a little unclear. I had to go back and reread because I didn't catch on to what happened the first time. One minute they're in the maze facing off with the villain and then on the next page the good guys are at a hospital.

Book_Minx | Jan 24, 2015 |
The Dancing Floor is the last Gothic novel Barbara Mertz wrote as Barbara Michaels. I think her Amelia Peabody mysteries as Elizabeth Peters had exploded in popularity to the point that the series had to be her main focus.

The Dancing Floor is a stand alone — a most of the Barbara Michaels books are. Heather Tradescant had been planning to travel to England to see historic gardens with her father, but his death has forced her to go alone.

Heather has arrived in the village to see the famous Troytan house, only to have a fender-bender, nearly hit a child, and nearly meet her own death in a briar patch. These events give her entry into the Troytan house and she becomes their reluctant guest.

Tied up with the history of the garden is a long tale of village witchcraft. Though not a believer in such things, Heather continues to have strange experiences. some of which could be explained by the supernatural if one was so inclined.

I listened to this book as read by Barbara Rosenblat. I think if I had been read it in print, I would have skipped some of the sections. As much as I consider myself a fan of Mertz's books, there is a certain sameness to her plots and characters.

This book is a distillation of her themes, characters and tropes. It has another somewhat naive woman, a house with a dark history, a family who wants to help but seems to invite danger, some sort of paranormal threat, and someone completely off the rails. ( )
  pussreboots | Apr 19, 2014 |
Heather Tradescant is making a memorial tour of English gardens - a trip she and her father had long planned. Her determination to see one particular forbidden garden takes her through the heart of a maze and into a mystery studded with witches, witches familiars, superstition, and classical mythology.

Although I've read this book several times, I never seem to be able to recall the ending. Which I guess is a good thing, as I can continue to enjoy it. ( )
1 vote SunnySD | Mar 8, 2009 |

Barbara Michaelsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Diamond,DonnaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061092541, Mass Market Paperback)

For years, Heather Tradescant had dreamed of the journey she and her father would take to England--a pilgrimage to the great gardens of history.Now that her father is dead, Heather is determined to fulfill his dreams. Unfortunately, her request to see the fabled 17th-century garden of Troytan House is denied by the owner. Though unwelcome, she braves the walls of briars and reaches the Victorian manor house beyond. She senses a strange mission of evil lurking, tainting the manor's peaceful beauty. Only then does Heather begin to wonder whether it is only stories of long-vanished witchcraft that haunt Troytan House or whether there is some more modern horror, hearer at hand, and far, far more dangerous.

Continuing in the classic tradition she established with such acclaimed novels of suspense as Stitches in Time, Vanish with the Rose, and House of Stone, New York Times bestselling author Barbara Michaels has penned a chilling tale that will keep you reading until the last page.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:23 -0400)

On a tour of English gardens Heather Tradescant, an amateur horticulturist from the U.S., pays a visit to the 17th Century Troytan House. Owner Frank Karim invites her to stay so she can help beautify his grounds. For Heather it is the start of a romantic adventure with a good dose of witchcraft.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,126,346 books! | Top bar: Always visible