The Ivy Tree by Mary Stewart

The Ivy Tree (original 1961; edition 2007)

by Mary Stewart

Member:mtgillis
Title:The Ivy Tree
Authors:Mary Stewart
Info:Chicago Review Press (2007), Edition: 1, Paperback, 224 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****
Tags:mystery, mistaken identity, romance

The Ivy Tree by Mary Stewart (1961)

English (24)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  All (26)
Mary Stewart is a wonderful writer and so much about this book is excellent. However! Without giving any spoilers, it breaks one of my cardinal rules of fiction, and much aggravation was felt when I discovered this, far far into the book. I still enjoyed it, and though aggravated at that point I didn't chuck it against the wall, but obediently finished it. It does hang together well, but because of this and a few other small irritants, I don't class it with the finest of its genre. Worth a read, but not worth walking a mile to obtain. ( )
  thesmellofbooks | Feb 23, 2017 |
This is my second Mary Stewart gothic romance. I read [b:Nine Coaches Waiting|27695|Nine Coaches Waiting|Mary Stewart|https://d2arxad8u2l0g7.cloudfront.net/books/1390281225s/27695.jpg|1122506], which seems to fairly consistently reside in one of the top spots on vintage gothic romance lists, last year, and really enjoyed it.

The difficult nature of reviewing one of these gothic romances presents itself every time I sit down to write one. Much of the enjoyment in these books resides in experiencing the twists and turns of the plot as they unfold. Like a mystery, revealing the secrets of the book really will spoil it.

I thought this book was fantastically entertaining. Mary Stewart used continual misdirection very effectively, that had me believing one thing, and then a couple of chapters later, convinced of something else. It is intricately and cleverly plotted. I was wrong, wrong, wrong, and then wrong again.

If the book has a flaw, it is that it starts slow and the twists don't start revealing themselves until the second half of the book. There is a lot of work that goes into the set-up of the plot. Once the reveals begin happening, though, it is a race to the end. I thought that Stewart's method for revealing one of the twists was particularly subtle and clever, and a bit bewildering at the beginning of the process.

So many of these stories are set in Cornwall and on the moors, that I always like to mention the setting. This one is set in Northumbria, near Newcastle, on the heath and near Hadrian's Wall. There is less use made of the setting in this book than in many, but it's a nice change from some of the more traditional locations, and the plot involves an investigation into Roman artifacts.

Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed The Ivy Tree, and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys vintage gothic romance. ( )
  moonlight_reads | Dec 11, 2016 |
Delcious fun. ( )
  laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |
I don't know, I just don't know. Did I like this? Sometimes. But, oh Lord, the tedious description and slow start. I'm not sure I'd read another Mary Stewart novel. This just wasn't a winner with me, which I feel terribly guilty for. Maybe I saw the twist coming or maybe I just didn't like Annabel. I may be the only reader on or off Goodreads not to. ( )
  cemagoc | Aug 8, 2016 |
Mary agrees to impersonate someone who looks very like her, to help someone else. Rather complicated, and very exciting. Very well written with believable characters. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |

Mary Stewartprimary authorall editionscalculated
Schäring, MarjattaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A north country maid up to London had stray'd,

Although with her nature it did not agree;

She wept, and she sighed, and she bitterly cried:

"I wish once again in the North I could be!

Oh! the oak and the ash, and bonny ivy tree,

They flourish at home in the North Country.

"No doubt, did I please, i could marry with ease;

Where maidens are fair many lovers will come:

But he whom I wed must be North country bred,

And carry me back to my North Country home.

Oh! the oak and the ash, and the bonny ivy tree,

They flourished at home in my own country."
For Fredith and Thomas Kemp
I might have been alone in a painted landscape.

A TRICK OF COLORING... HER WALK... THE WAY SHE SMILED...

An English June in the Roman Wall countryside; the ruin of a beautiful old house standing cheek-by-jowl with the solid, sunlit prosperity of the manor farm - a lovely place, and a rich inheritance for one of the two remaining Winslow heirs. There had been a third, but Annabel Winslow had died four years ago - so when a young woman calling herself Annabel Winslow comes 'home' to Whitescar, Con Winslow and his half-sister Lisa must find out whether she really is who she says she is.

Mary Grey has nothing to look forward to except a future as colorless as her name. So if she looks, walks, and smiles so much like the glamorous missing heiress Annabel Winslow, why not be her for a little while? To the lonely young woman--living in a dreary furnished room, faced with an uncertain future--the impersonation offered intriguing possibilities.

If Mary looked so much like the missing heiress, why should she not be an heiress? And so plain Mary became the glamorous Annabel. But she did not live happily ever after. In fact, she almost did not live at all. Because someone wanted Annabel Winslow missing ... permanently.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:24 -0400)

Mary Grey had come from Canada to the land of her forebears: Northumberland. As she savored the ordered, spare beauty of England's northern fells, the silence was shattered by the shout of a single name: "Annabel!" And there stood one of the angriest, most threatening young men Mary had ever seen. His name was Connor Winslow, and Mary quickly discovered that he thought she was his cousin-a girl supposedly dead these past eight years. Alive, she would be heiress to an inheritance Connor was determined to have for himself. This remarkably atmospheric novel is one of bestselling-author Mary Stewart's richest, most tantalizing, and most surprising efforts, proving her a rare master of the genre.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,186,263 books! | Top bar: Always visible