The Ivy Tree by Mary Stewart

The Ivy Tree (original 1961; edition 2007)

by Mary Stewart

Member:mtgillis
Title:The Ivy Tree
Authors:Mary Stewart
Info:Chicago Review Press (2007), Edition: 1, Paperback, 224 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****
Tags:mystery, mistaken identity, romance

The Ivy Tree by Mary Stewart (1961)

English (22)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  All (24)
Delcious fun. ( )
  laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |
I don't know, I just don't know. Did I like this? Sometimes. But, oh Lord, the tedious description and slow start. I'm not sure I'd read another Mary Stewart novel. This just wasn't a winner with me, which I feel terribly guilty for. Maybe I saw the twist coming or maybe I just didn't like Annabel. I may be the only reader on or off Goodreads not to. ( )
  cemagoc | Aug 8, 2016 |
Mary agrees to impersonate someone who looks very like her, to help someone else. Rather complicated, and very exciting. Very well written with believable characters. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
The Ivy Tree is another of Mary Stewart's first-person thrillers. Canadian Mary Grey is visiting the North of England when she is accosted and almost tossed off a cliff by a man who thinks she is Annabel Winslow, who left the area 8 years before and hasn't been heard from since. Con, as he introduces himself, is eventually convinced of his mistake, but soon he and his half-sister Lisa, decided that staging Annabell's return would be extremely "convenient", as she and her cousin stand between him and his desired inheritance of the Whitescar farm. The cousin is coming up from London with her boyfriend for her grandfather's birthday, so it's the perfect time for a family reunion. Mary is convinced to play Annabel in return for a payment from the money Con will inherit if he can pull off his plan. But he's not the only one with secrets, and life at Whitescar soon becomes perilous for everyone.

If you like first-person thrillers, or good suspense writing, you'll love The Ivy Tree. It has just the right amount of Gothic tension to keep the story rolling. ( )
2 vote inge87 | Oct 14, 2013 |
Oh, Mary Stewart, no, I KNOW you can do better than this. I KNOW you are a better writer than this. This is way too boring for the woman who writes the Crystal Cave! And too many people here are just...petty. Urgh. ( )
  cricketbats | Apr 18, 2013 |

Mary Stewartprimary authorall editionscalculated
Schäring, MarjattaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A north country maid up to London had stray'd,

Although with her nature it did not agree;

She wept, and she sighed, and she bitterly cried:

"I wish once again in the North I could be!

Oh! the oak and the ash, and bonny ivy tree,

They flourish at home in the North Country.

"No doubt, did I please, i could marry with ease;

Where maidens are fair many lovers will come:

But he whom I wed must be North country bred,

And carry me back to my North Country home.

Oh! the oak and the ash, and the bonny ivy tree,

They flourished at home in my own country."
For Fredith and Thomas Kemp
I might have been alone in a painted landscape.

A TRICK OF COLORING... HER WALK... THE WAY SHE SMILED...

An English June in the Roman Wall countryside; the ruin of a beautiful old house standing cheek-by-jowl with the solid, sunlit prosperity of the manor farm - a lovely place, and a rich inheritance for one of the two remaining Winslow heirs. There had been a third, but Annabel Winslow had died four years ago - so when a young woman calling herself Annabel Winslow comes 'home' to Whitescar, Con Winslow and his half-sister Lisa must find out whether she really is who she says she is.

Mary Grey has nothing to look forward to except a future as colorless as her name. So if she looks, walks, and smiles so much like the glamorous missing heiress Annabel Winslow, why not be her for a little while? To the lonely young woman--living in a dreary furnished room, faced with an uncertain future--the impersonation offered intriguing possibilities.

If Mary looked so much like the missing heiress, why should she not be an heiress? And so plain Mary became the glamorous Annabel. But she did not live happily ever after. In fact, she almost did not live at all. Because someone wanted Annabel Winslow missing ... permanently.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:24 -0400)

Mary Grey had come from Canada to the land of her forebears: Northumberland. As she savored the ordered, spare beauty of England's northern fells, the silence was shattered by the shout of a single name: "Annabel!" And there stood one of the angriest, most threatening young men Mary had ever seen. His name was Connor Winslow, and Mary quickly discovered that he thought she was his cousin-a girl supposedly dead these past eight years. Alive, she would be heiress to an inheritance Connor was determined to have for himself. This remarkably atmospheric novel is one of bestselling-author Mary Stewart's richest, most tantalizing, and most surprising efforts, proving her a rare master of the genre.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,751,342 books! | Top bar: Always visible