The Merlin Conspiracy by Diana Wynne Jones

The Merlin Conspiracy (original 2003; edition 2004)

by Diana Wynne Jones

Series: Magid (2)

Member:Bahiyya
Title:The Merlin Conspiracy
Authors:Diana Wynne Jones
Info:HarperTrophy (2004), Paperback
Tags:fantasy, young adult

The Merlin Conspiracy by Diana Wynne Jones (2003)

Recently added byprivate library, al.vick, Scrambledspirit, laylabelle94, roojien, parramarist, equiknoxious
    Deep Secret by Diana Wynne Jones (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Shares some of the same characters.
    The Shadow Speaker by Nnedi Okorafor (bunnygirl)
    bunnygirl: for those interested in another application of the "many worlds" conceit

English (32)  Dutch (1)  All languages (33)
A good young adult novel about magic and the multiverse. Read it in a sitting... ( )
  MikeRhode | Feb 6, 2014 |
I really love Diana Wynne Jones, but sometimes I am really frustrated that sooo many of her female characters are kind of awful, and the boys are more sympathetic. This book sort of exemplified that for me. The grandfathers are both great. The lone magician (male) is great. The grandmother magician is awful -- both are silly, awful, figures of fun, and the mother magician is a villainess but not even the chief villainess. And two other mothers are distracted or crazy or bewitched or all three at different times. Of the six main kid characters, the two female kid twins are horrible; the two male kids are quirky and lovable even when one of them does something rather terrible. The two narrators -- one male, one female -- each have their vices and so forth, but over all, the male comes off a bit better: less "bossy", not manipulated .... this is a minor difference and I wouldn't have noticed it at all, or been bothered by it, had the rest of the gendered characters not been treated so disparately.

DWJ does think about gender, and is a feminist, but the characterization stuff bugs me sometimes. Anyway, in other ways, the book was interesting and fun, as almost everything I've read by DWJ is. ( )
1 vote lquilter | Jul 25, 2013 |
::big sigh:: lovely.

I love the way DWJ does magic in such a visual and unusual way - binding magic as great strands of white cottonwool cobwebs, magic to travel between worlds as dark paths or little strings of islands to jump between, elementals and spirits as their own characters. ( )
  comixminx | Apr 5, 2013 |
Love Diana Wynne Jones, and a bad DWJ is still better than a poke in the eye, but this wasn't her best work. Still filled with fun stuff - I absolutely love the apologetic elephant and the cantankerous goat, the canyon world is brill and I really like Roddy and Nick and Grundo a lot. But the plot rambles about a bit and some things are more worked out than others. If she'd taken some time to polish this up it could have been about nine times better. Sometimes her stuff reads a little bit like a potboiler that she knocked out because she had some bills to pay. However, no reason DWJ shouldn't pay her bills and even when she's not fully up to her top standard, she's still fun. ( )
  bunwat | Mar 30, 2013 |
Once again Diana Wynne-Jones creates a fascinating world for her characters. I was intrigued by this unique perspective on the Merlin legend, and how Wynne-Jones combines present day London, Merlin, and the amazing world of Blest. Although I was a little disappointed by how quickly the climax of the story ends, and how neatly everything wrapped up in the final chapter, I still found this book a delight to read. I would say that The Merlin Conspiracy is a must-read for fans of Diana Wynne-Jones. ( )
  Katharine_Ann | May 11, 2012 |

Diana Wynne Jonesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fox, EmiliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tennant, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Viitanen, Anna-MaijaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wyatt, DavidIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Rowan Dalglish
I have been with the Court all my life, traveling with the King’s Progress.
That is the unexpected trouble with love affairs, I thought as I made more coffee. You can fancy a girl like mad, but more than just the look of her comes into it. You find yourself having to allow for her personality, too. At five-thirty in the morning.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060523204, Paperback)

Master fantasist Diana Wynne Jones--author of the Chrestomanci books, Dark Lord of Derkholm, Year of the Griffin, and many others--scores another winner in this absorbing tale of magic and courtly intrigue told in two voices. In the world called Islands of the Blest, Roddy is a young page who has grown up traveling with her family in the King’s Progress, a constant journey around the kingdom. Just after she and her younger friend Grundo spot a growing conspiracy to overthrow the King and change the balance of magic, they are whisked away to visit Roddy’s grim and silent grandfather; when they return the Progress has moved on without them. Meanwhile in another world, Nick Mallory, 14, blunders into a dreamlike adventure that leads him to the powerful wizard Romanov and involves him in Roddy’s mission to save the worlds from the upset planned by the conspiracy. The story moves through several precariously linked worlds in vividly imagined episodes told alternately by Roddy and Nick, as their journeys begin to mesh. Part of the fun for the reader is sorting out Roddy’s many wizardly relatives from the double perspective and clicking them into place in the plot. Wynne Jones's many fans will pounce on this complex but fast-moving fantasy that features not only 34 characters, but a panther, a goat, a dragon, and an extremely charming elephant. (Ages 10 to 14) --Patty Campbell

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:22 -0400)

Roddy and Nick, two teenagers with magical powers they are just learning to use, find that they must work together to save Roddy's home world of Blest from destruction by power-hungry wizards.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,432,750 books! | Top bar: Always visible