The Pale Horse by Agatha Christie

The Pale Horse (original 1961; edition 1963)

by Agatha Christie

Member:jburlinson
Title:The Pale Horse
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:Pocket Books (1963), Paperback
Rating:**1/2
Tags:Mystery

The Pale Horse by Agatha Christie (1961)

Recently added byBookstoogeLT, LitaVore, 7HillsSchool, private library, thehawkseye, caerulius, dmhauser
    The Moving Finger by Agatha Christie (Porua)
    Porua: The narrator of The Pale Horse, Mark Easterbrook, reminds me of the narrator of another Agatha Christie book. Jerry Barton from The Moving Finger. In both of these stories the urban hero goes to a small town and gets entangled in a spine chilling mystery. Another thing that these two books have in common is an unconventional old lady named Mrs. Dane Calthrop, one of the more unique creations of Christie.… (more)

English (28)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  All (32)
Whenever the occult is part of a novel, I never like its inclusion.
I wasn't sure where Christie was going with this, so I was uncomfortable right up to the last chapter.
Still enjoyed the mystery... ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
This was the first of Mrs. Christie’s book of which I didn’t enjoy the beginning. It took me several pages to get into it, but since it was Agatha Christie I kept reading—and am glad I did: I thoroughly enjoyed it. I watched two movie versions of this book and they have very little resemblance to it. One of them even gets Miss Marple in the story! Highly recommend the book. (When the Lamb opened the fourth seal, I heard the voice of the fourth living creature say, “Come!” I looked, and there before me was a pale horse! Its rider was named Death, and Hades was following close behind him. They were given power over a fourth of the earth to kill by sword, famine and plague, and by the wild beasts of the earth. — Revelation 6:7-8) ( )
  MrsRK | Nov 21, 2016 |
I'm surprised by how much I enjoy the non-Poirot and non-Marple mysteries. PBS did a version of this novel, but with Miss Marple. I'm glad that this version was different enough to have me guessing who the killer was. ( )
  Sareene | Oct 22, 2016 |
I was discouraged at the beginning of this story because I forgot it had Ariadne Oliver in it. She is not my favorite Agatha Christie character. Fortunately, she plays a minor role so she didn't drag the storyline at all. The mystery was intriguing and the ending was unexpected. Another classic Christie novel to enjoy. ( )
  jguidry | May 31, 2016 |
I saw it coming. I am so proud of myself with this one, because I knew who did it!
This is not her most original nor her most intricate (and I am lowering my self esteem again . . . ), but it is a fun read. Be warned it talks a lot about witches and cursing, and there is one frightening scene in which characters "curse" a person to die. I am a Christian, and while I did not find it off putting enough to make me think I shouldn't be reading it, I am sure that there will be some who might think so. Also, don't give this particular book to young readers late at night. It's just not a good combination.
However, I thoroughly enjoyed Christie's red herrings, false leads, and lovable main characters, even as stupid as I might have thought them for not catching on quicker. It switches POV, but focuses mainly on a first person from the MC, and also features as a side character a certain Ariadne Oliver that some other Agatha Christie fans might be familiar with. ( )
  Jaina_Rose | Mar 1, 2016 |

Christie, Agathaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nuuttila, AnttiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To
John and Helen Mildmay White
with many thanks for the opportunity
given me to see justice done
There are two methods, it seems to me, of approaching this strange business of the Pale Horse.
Your criminal is someone who wants to be important, but who will never be important, because he’ll always be less than a man.

"WICKEDNESS ... SUCH WICKEDNESS ..."

The dying woman turned to Father Gorman with agony in her eyes, "Stopped ... It must be stopped ... You will ... "
The priest spoke with reassuring authority. "I will do what is necessary. You can trust me."
Father Gorman tucked the list of names she had given him into his shoe. It was a meaningless list: the names were of people who had nothing in common.
On his way home, Father Gorman was murdered. But the police found the list, and when Mark Easterbrook came to inquire into the circumstances of the people listed, he began to discover a connection between them, and an ominous pattern:

EVERY PERSON ON THAT LIST WAS EITHER ALREADY DEAD - OR, HE SUSPECTED, MARKED FOR MURDER!

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312981716, Mass Market Paperback)

Was it really the Thomasina Tuckerton--dropout heiress turned bohemian beat girl--seen in a cafe brawl with another woman? Her obituary confirms it. Thomasina's unfortunate demise would have passed unnoticed if it hadn't been for the priest who suffered a fatal blow at the hand of a stranger only days later. What's the connection? A list of names hidden in father Gorman's shoes--among them, Miss Tuckerton's. It leads to a former country inn, now a house called, The Pale Horse, and a sinister pattern woven by three unusual ladies--a psychic, a medium, and a witch--each with a secret of her own.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:49 -0400)

After a priest is murdered, Mark Easterbrook investigates the peculiar list of names found on the body.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,828,146 books! | Top bar: Always visible