The Skull of the World by Kate Forsyth

The Skull of the World (2001)

by Kate Forsyth

Series: The Witches of Eileanan (5), Eileanan Universe (5)

I am a great fan of Kates and I get drawn into her books very quickly
  JohnLewis801 | Jul 7, 2013 |
WITCHES OF EILEAMAN
  rustyoldboat | May 28, 2011 |
The focus is once again on Isabeau. This book closely follows the pattern set in book four by focusing on Isabeau's adventures almost exclusively. Kate Forsyth then masterfully manages to bring this story right in line with the events portrayed in book four so that by the end of the book, both stories converge seamlessly. There is also what I am assuming is a setup for book six in that we get a few inside glimpses into the Fairgean. It all makes for some very interesting reading. However, that is not all. As if Isabeau is not facing enough challenges, Margit of Arran kidnaps both the Righ’s son and his cousin and our poor heroine is framed for the crime! This puts her in the position of having to go rescue the two boys and leads to a surprise encounter with a previous character.

Full review here:
Dragons, Heroes and Wizards ( )
  Mulluane | Nov 3, 2008 |
"Isabeau has immersed herself in the life of the Khan'Cobans, but she still hopes to return to Eileanan from her self-imposed exile. First, though, she must undertake her journey of initiation to the Skull of the World, where the cruel and enigmatic Gods of White will reveal her destiny to her; and where she will at last discover her true Talent."

There is more on the back flap, but I did not want to give too much of the story line away. Great fun. I really liked Isabeau's adventures with the Khan'Coban in book 3, so I really liked book 5. And her true Talent is a lot of fun, too. I wish, I could do that! Besides book 1 probably my favourite book of the series. ( )
  cathepsut | Feb 23, 2007 |

Kate Forsythprimary authorall editionscalculated
York, JudyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Natural magic . . . is nothing more than the deepest knowledge of the secrets of nature.

Del Rio, Disquisitiones Magicae, 1606.
Nature performs in a natural way the things that the magician achieves by his art.

Pico della Mirandola, Conclusiones philosophicae, cabbalisticae, et theologicae, 1486
for Dani, Michelle and Sarah,

soul sisters and kindred spirits,

in memory of the many wondrous adventures we've shared

growing up togeher
Nila dived deep into the ocean, his eyes wide open, his arms curved before him.

Remember the words of the Soul-Sage:

The fastest route is not always the straightest."

In the land of Eileanan, the Pact of Peace has not meant the end of unrest. Iseult and Lachlan must continue to deal with their military position in Tirsoiller -- where a spy has compromised their tactical secrets, leaving them at a tremendous loss.

Isabeau the wtch longs to rejoin her sister and her home in these uncertain tmes, but she must complete one last task for her teachers. To find her true purpose in life, she must reach the Skull of the World and listen to the silent words of te White Gods. Few survive. But those who do are changed forever.

Now, when she does return home, she does so with an extraordinary gift. But when Margrit of Arran decides to take advantage of Lachlan's absence by kidnapping his son and heir to the throne, Isabeau must learn to use her gifts in the face of evil -- and overcome her enemy once and for all.

[from the back cover]

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451458699, Mass Market Paperback)

In the land of Eileanan, the Pact of Peace has not meant the end of unrest. And, though Isabeau would like to return home to help her family in these uncertain times, she must first venture to the Skull of the World where she will discover her true talents as a witch. And when she does return home, she does so transformed with the power to overcome her family's enemies once and for all.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:35 -0400)

The witches of Eileanan, Book 5.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,241,278 books! | Top bar: Always visible