Lilith by George MacDonald

Lilith (original 1895; edition 1981)

by George MacDonald

Member:duke
Title:Lilith
Authors:George MacDonald
Info:Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Company (1981), Paperback, 252 pages
Tags:Christian, Fantasy, unread

Lilith by George MacDonald (1895)

Recently added bytheophorus, Judahivy, mejerrymouse, private library
Legacy LibrariesC. S. Lewis

This book was assigned in high school in a elective on "Myth, Legend, and Fantasy" (Mr. Bleecker, if you're out there, you were amazing). It succeeds as few fantasies do in being truly strange and alienating, and I mean that in the best possible sense. Lewis in his forward notes the deficiencies of the prose style, and I can't disagree, but it's a book that stays with you as few do.
  ben_a | Jan 9, 2014 |
  keithhamblen | May 29, 2013 |
This 1895 book was recommended in A Reader's Guide to Fantasy's "Seven-League Bookshelf"--a list of 30-odd books considered the "cream" of the genre. Dante's Divine Comedy is mentioned in the book and I can see similarities with not just Dante but works of Carroll and Lewis. Macdonald was a close friend of Lewis Carroll and saw Alice in Wonderland in manuscript; C.S. Lewis greatly admired Macdonald and named him as one of his most important influences. As with Carroll's Through the Looking Glass and Lewis' Narnia, the narrator of this story steps into another world through an ordinary piece of furniture--in this case a mirror--and there are animal characters, notably a talking raven and a leopard. As with Narnia and the Divine Comedy, this is essentially a work of Christian Fiction, even more allegorical than Narnia as dealing like Dante with the landscape of the afterlife. Although given Macdonald's Universalist beliefs, there is no eternal hell--someday all will find salvation, though in Macdonald's conception it won't be easy.

I can't quite say I really liked this. I'd say this hovers between a two and a three star. On one hand, I made it through to the end, it has interesting ideas and historical importance in the fantasy genre. On the other hand, I often found this dull, no characters captured my sympathy or imagination and this just didn't strike me as an outstanding example of the kind of book it exemplifies. This doesn't have the humor, whimsy, wit or charm of Through the Looking Glass or Narnia or the prodigious imagination, unity, beautiful language and architecture of The Divine Comedy. I can't imagine I'll ever reread this, and I just can't see this as being in the same league as Dante, Carroll or Lewis. ( )
2 vote LisaMaria_C | Feb 10, 2012 |
Entertaining read, and clearly an inspiration for Narnia Chronicles and other CS Lewis fiction, and apparently L'Engle, too. ( )
  jaygheiser | Jul 23, 2008 |
Though an obvious inspiration, comparing Lilith to the Chronicles of Narnia is like comparing car with a toy model. Superficially, they resemble each other, internally one is obviously far more complex while the other is a children's toy. This is a novel for adults. It makes no attempt to hide the Christian allegory, which I am sure would offend some readers. It also would probably offend some fundamentalist Christians should they stop and think about the message it portrays. It has the internal consistency that Lewis lacks, though is far less an exciting read. This is not an adventure novel. It is a journey into the realms of mysticim disguised as fiction. And it is one of the few books that has truly shifted my paradigm of the universe.

If you're looking for a traditional fantasy novel, don't go for this one. If you're looking for something to chew over when it comes to life, the universe and everything, this may be a perfect match. ( )
3 vote kronos999 | Jul 4, 2008 |

George MacDonaldprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gallardo, GervasioCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Knopper, HelenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lamb, JimCover Artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Off, Lilith!"

--The Kabala
I had just finished my studies at Oxford, and was taking a brief holiday from work before assuming definitely the management of the estate.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0802860613, Mass Market Paperback)

"Lilith is equal if not superior to the best of Poe," the great 20th-century poet W.H. Auden said of this novel, but the comparison only begins to touch on the richness, density, and wonder of this late 19th-century adult fantasy novel. First published in 1895 (inhabiting a universe with the early Yeats, George Bernard Shaw, and Oscar Wilde--not to mention Thomas Hardy), this is the story of the aptly named Mr. Vane, his magical house, and the journeys into another world into which it leads him.

Meeting up with one mystery after another, including Adam and Eve themselves, he slowly but surely explores the mystery of the human fall from grace, and of our redemption. Instructed into the ways of seeing the deeper realities of this world--seeing, in a sense, by the light of the spirit--the reader and Mr. Vane both sense that MacDonald writes from his own deep experience of radiance, from a bliss so profound that death's darkness itself is utterly eclipsed in its light. --Doug Thorpe

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:14 -0400)

First published in 1895, Lilith chronicles the five trips taken by its narrator, Mr. Vane, into another world, where he explores the ultimate mystery of evil.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,822,358 books! | Top bar: Always visible