London Transports by Maeve Binchy

London Transports (1978)

by Maeve Binchy

Typical, well written Maeve Binchy..... I just wish she had developed some of the stories into longer books. But I recommend this book to all Binchy fans. ( )
  yukon92 | Oct 19, 2012 |
I really liked this, unusual as I don't usually enjoy short story collections as much as full length novels. Maeve Binchy has the knack of breathing life into a character from an early stage, so you care about what happens to them. There is always the problem of having to say goodbye to them earlier than you would in a novel, but then the next one proves just as fascinating.

If I have a criticism, it's regarding the later stories - slightly longer than the earlier ones, and occasionally a bit obscure. But generally a really good read, particularly if you like Maeve Binchy and you like short stories, but worth a go even if you don't ( )
  jayne_charles | Aug 28, 2010 |
I don't really read short stories from books, and I have to say I found this slow and unsatisfying. Most chapters were good but had no ending and it was frustrating wanting to know what happened next.. ( )
  gogglemiss | Dec 26, 2009 |
A collection of short stories, although not her best are still very readable. ( )
  mazda502001 | Nov 2, 2008 |
Lovely, satisfying stories that leave you wanting more. Perfect beach read. ( )
  honeychildjamie | Jul 5, 2007 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440212359, Mass Market Paperback)

Whether it's the sudden snapping of bonds between lovers or shopping on Oxford Street, Maeve Binchy finds the unexpected truth in experiences so real that every woman will recognize them. Filled with her delicious humor and warmth, the twenty-two stories in London Transports will delight and captivate as they take us to a place that is far away—and yet so familiar...Where having an affair with a married man brings one woman to a turning point...Where another finds that looking for an apartment to share can be a risky business...Where nosing into a secretary's life can have shocking results...Where a dress designer just had a god-awful day...And where Maeve Binchy captures the beat of every woman's heart.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:51 -0400)

A collection of twenty-two short stories follows the adventures of a woman who reaches a turning point during an affair with a married man, a dress designer who's had a god-awful day, and more.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,699,108 books! | Top bar: Always visible