Secrets: A Memoir of Vietnam and the…

Secrets: A Memoir of Vietnam and the Pentagon Papers

by Daniel Ellsberg

Although it is long and exhaustive and, can be argued, at times way too detailed, it is ultimately a compelling and fascinating story of how Ellsberg moved from an advisor to those running the Vietnam war to releasing the Pentagon Papers to try and stop it. Despite the slowish start, I ended up completely engrossed and really enjoying reading it. I'm looking forward to bookclub discussions.
  amyem58 | Aug 10, 2014 |
Read this when I was in graduate school (2004) and it reinforces my opinion that well written non fiction can oftentimes be more compelling than fiction. ( )
  LRM7 | Feb 15, 2012 |
This is a very well-written, insightful memoir by the Defense Department analyst who leaked the Pentagon Papers in 1971. ( )
  wanack | Apr 22, 2010 |
To my children, Robert, Mary, and Michael,
my grandchildren, Julio, Nicholas, Ana, Catherine, and Christina,
my brother, Harry,
and the love of my life, Patricia
In the fall of 1961 it didn't take very long to discover in Vietnam that we weren't likely to be successful there.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0142003425, Paperback)

In 1971 former Cold War hard-liner Daniel Ellsberg made history by releasing the Pentagon Papers-a 7,000-page top-secret study of U.S. decision-making in Vietnam-to the New York Times and Washington Post. The document set in motion a chain of events that ended not only the Nixon presidency but the Vietnam War. In this remarkable memoir, Ellsberg describes in dramatic detail the two years he spent in Vietnam as a U.S. State Department observer, and how he came to risk his career and freedom to expose the deceptions and delusions that shaped three decades of American foreign policy. The story of one man's exploration of conscience, Secrets is also a portrait of America at a perilous crossroad.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:50 -0400)

Three decades after making history by releasing the Pentagon Papers, the former U.S. Marine and Pentagon insider reveals why he did it and discusses the consequences to his life.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,772,028 books! | Top bar: Always visible