The Dance of the Dissident Daughter: A…

The Dance of the Dissident Daughter: A Woman's Journey from Christian…

by Sue Monk Kidd

It takes courage to reveal your spiritual journey, and this author bravely gives you a moving account of hers. I went to see the author in person, and I expected an outgoing, outspoken feminist. Instead I met a seemingly shy, reticent, but very strong woman willing to share her struggles and help others discover the feminine side of god that our patriarchal religions have minimized or erased. ( )
  vdunn | Apr 30, 2014 |
I read this book after reading Traveling With Pomegranates because I was curious about the author's thought processes as she went from the rather conventional wife of a Southern Baptist preacher who wrote for Guideposts magazine to discovering a fairly radical feminism and journeying to find the "divine feminine." At the beginning of this book she says that it was going into a drug store where her teenage daughter worked & and seeing her kneeling on the floor stocking the shelves, hearing two men saying ,"That's how I like to see a woman. On her knees." Kidd is truly shaken, and confronts the men saying. "You may like to see her and women on their knees, but we don't belong there." And thus begins her journey.

I have to admire her tenacity since I also live in the South and know the social pressure that can be put to bear on a woman who does not fit into societal norms. However, her deep dive into Jungian psychology and many of her pronouncements and actions just made me cringe. I felt like I was spending an inordinate time with a "converso" who just couldn't (or wouldn't) shut up about the subject.

I also think she is not going to be truly happy until she leaves traditional Christianity behind. She leaves the Southern Baptists (an oh DUH moment for anyone familiar with this strain of Christianity) for the much more liberal Episcopalian church, but I think her brand of theology will be, in the end, even too much for them. She is really more of a Deist and, I would think, be more comfortable with the Unitarians or maybe even the Ethical Culturalists.

In the end, the story I would really like to read is that of her husband who, as a result of his wife's qwest, also leaves the Southern Baptist and his theological teaching profession and becomes a psychologist. ( )
  etxgardener | Dec 3, 2013 |
Reading this book gave me an inside view on another woman going through so many of the same things I have been going through regarding feminism, spirituality and trying to define what I think it means to be feminine and/or masculine. I recommend it to anyone who wants to think about the feminine divine and where women find themselves, especially in the spiritual end of things. She focuses mainly on the Christian experience, since that is her background as a Christian inspirational writer. Her journeys take her to many different places, goddesses and religious viewpoints. I like her takes on what exactly feminism and patriarchy are. This was a particularly encouraging book to read. It's always nice when you feel like you've found someone who is very close to your own experience. Her writing style is all-encompassing while remaining informal and personal. One of my all time favorite books. ( )
1 vote indiefishsteak | Mar 31, 2013 |
An amazing book focusing on a woman's spiritual journey going from a Christian background and finding herself again through the divine feminine. This book has a lot of depth to it and I found myself being called to it from the library shelf. I found it at a time in my life when struggling with similar issues Sue shares in her book. This book is broken up into different segments based on he different phases one goes through during their journey of discovering what they truly believe and who they are. This book took me awhile to read but that was because I wanted to take my time and gain everything I could absorb from it. I still find myself wanting to go back for more. ( )
1 vote FishHeaven | Sep 1, 2011 |
Best selling author (“The Secret Life of Bees”) Sue Monk Kidd was born into a conservative Christian family and married a conservative Christian minister. For years, she wrote inspirational Christian books. What, then, made her decide to step away from church teachings regarding the place of women and embark on a journey to find the sacred feminine?

Kidd had long been uncomfortable with how her gender was treated, both in society and in her church. Told repeatedly that woman was to serve man because Eve had tempted Adam into sin, she finally had enough when she went her young teen daughter’s work to pick her up, only to find the girl kneeling to stock the bottom shelf and hear one man say to another “That’s the way I like to see women- on their knees”. That started a journey of several years as she read, meditated, traveled and talked with other women as she tried to make sense of what was changing in her, spiritually.

Her reading took in both modern feminism and ancient texts. She found that in old Hebrew texts and the Old Testament there was a female deity as well as a male, but somewhere along the line she had disappeared. This, along with female deities from other cultures (Minoan Crete, ancient Greece, Native American), convinced her that there was a basis for a feminine spirituality. Eventually, she found that she could manage to hold both a deep feminine spirituality and to the Christian church.

Kidd writes of her journey step by step. It’s interesting and moving and her pain is palpable and there is an amazing amount of synchronicity, but after a certain point in the book the immediacy of her feelings seems to disappear. The narrative, for whatever reason, goes flat. It’s still useful and interesting, but it drags and a few parts felt like a chore to read- and read like they had been a chore to write. I’d recommend this book for any woman who is questioning the gendered aspects of modern religion as a beginning book. Even if they only read the first parts, it will head them in the right direction. ( )
2 vote lauriebrown54 | Jul 8, 2011 |
INTRODUCTION:

I was listening to National Public Radio the other day when someone asked the question: "Once you wake up, can you wake up any more?"
PART ONE:

It was autumn, and everything was turning loose.

"I was amazed to find that I had no idea how to unfold my spiritual life in a feminine way. I was surprised, and, in fact, a little terrified, when I found myself in the middle of a feminist spiritual reawakening." ––Sue Monk Kidd

For years, Sue Monk Kidd was a conventionally religious woman. Then, in the late 1980s, Kidd experienced an unexpected awakening, and began a journey toward a feminine spirituality. With the exceptional storytelling skills that have helped make her name, author of When the Heart Waits tells her very personal story of the fear, anger, healing, and freedom she experienced on the path toward the wholeness that many women have lost in the church. From a jarring encounter with sexism in a suburban drugstore, to monastery retreats and to rituals in the caves of Crete, she reveals a new level of feminine spiritual consciousness for all women– one that retains a meaningful connection with the "deep song of Christianity," embraces the sacredness of ordinary women's experience, and has the power to transform in the most positive ways every fundamental relationship in a woman's life– her marriage, her career, and her religion.

This Plus edition paperback includes a recent interview with the author conducted by the book's editor Michael Maudlin.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:00 -0400)

The author takes the reader on her journey from a traditional wife and mother to a woman who argues for a feminine face of God.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,070,045 books! | Top bar: Always visible