The Secrets of a Fire King: Stories by Kim…

The Secrets of a Fire King: Stories

by Kim Edwards

A collection of short stories.

I found several of them quite touching. ( )
  nx74defiant | Apr 30, 2017 |
This was an excellent collection of short stories. The writing alone, was lovely, engaging and incredibly well done. At times, it reminded of the same style and flare of another short story author I enjoy. This was a case where I can't believe I had the book sitting on myself as long as it was, because I really missed out on something.

As with most short stories, I liked some more than others, but the writing alone made all of them well worth reading. I'm looking forward to reading the novel I have by the author, which has also been sitting on my book shelf for far too long.

This collection is well worth reading, and one I would highly recommend.

Also found on my book review blog Jules' Book Reviews - Secrets of a Fire King ( )
  bookwormjules | Dec 7, 2014 |
Another collection of short stories that are technically all very well-written, but held no interest for me. ( )
  edwinbcn | Oct 21, 2014 |
This was an absolutely fantastic collection, more of a 4.5 than a 5, and maybe just a 5. It baffles me how an author can write so well about so many disparate people and places. ( )
  JennyArch | Apr 3, 2013 |
Before The Memory Keepers Daughter skyrocketed up the best-seller list, author Kim Edwards wrote another book, a collection of short stories.

We all know how much I love a good short story collection, and since I adored The Memory Keepers Daughter, I was interested in reading this one. I was even more interested when I spotted the audio at the library.

Before I start with the commentary, I gotta say something about that cover.

It kind of creeps me out, if I do say so myself. It's too ... embryotic. Too freaky. Anyway, I just had to mention that.

Maybe I keep conjuring up embryos in connection with this petri dish of stories because, with a few exceptions, they all kind of struck me as not quite ... fully formed. The adjective that I keep coming back to for these stories is "nondescript." I've been listening to this audio all week and while they're nice enough stories, most of them fall somewhat flat, forgotten as soon as I eject the CD.

For example, there is a betrayal aspect to the story "Spring, Mountain, Sea" that could almost be viewed as a prelude to the central plot of The Memory Keepers Daughter; in fact, the two incidents are similar enough that I was curious to know if it had inspired or influenced the novel. However, unlike the novel, the betrayal in this short story is mentioned and then all but dismissed, only to be referenced once more. It seems integral enough to the short story that it does the tale a disservice.

Perhaps it's just that the novel format is a stronger one for Ms. Edwards, and that's OK. I think as writers we're allowed - encouraged, even - to experiment. We need to, otherwise how will we ever know what works? ( )
  bettyandboo | Apr 2, 2013 |
To Tom who built me a room of my own.

The first story collection from the author of the #1 New York Times bestseller The Memory Keeper's Daughter

With The Memory Keeper's Daughter, Kim Edwards touched hearts across the nation. In this, her first collection of stories-now with three new stories added-she explores the lives of those who exist on the fringes of society: a fire-eater, an American and his Korean war bride, Madame Curie's maid, and others. Though their tales vary dramatically, each comes up against the barriers of place and circumstance in the most universal of experiences: the quest to discover and understand the elusive mysteries of love. Transporting readers to exotic locations, this beautiful collection reinforces Edwards's presence as an extraordinarily gifted writer.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:15 -0400)

Eleven stories set in various parts of the world. In Sky Juice, a girl in Malaysia escapes prostitution by becoming a mail-order bride, The Way It Felt to Be Falling is on a woman sky diver, and in The Story of My Life a woman discovers her anti-abortion mother is no saint herself.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,682,554 books! | Top bar: Always visible