Interfictions: An Anthology of Interstitial…

Interfictions: An Anthology of Interstitial Writing

by Delia Sherman (Editor), Theodora Goss (Editor)

Other authors: Heinz Insu Fenkl (Introduction)

Series: Interfictions Anthologies (1)

Meh. Just a big meh. Would have been so much better without the afterwords to each story in which the authors congratulate themselves on being very interesting. ( )
  annesadleir | Feb 17, 2011 |
I wish I could do half-stars on here, but I couldn't see my way to rounding up to give this one four. There were quite a few gems in this collection which absolutely fulfills its purpose of exploring the space between conventional genres. And it had me right up until about the last third of the book. I simply got lost out in the interstices by then. It's quite possibly more my failure than that of the collection, but still. ( )
  donp | Nov 17, 2008 |
What is interstitial fiction? This short story anthology does its best to find out. From the intro, which defines interstitial being between borders, but something that's not a hybrid, to each of the 19 stories crafted by some damn talented voices in fiction, I have to say, I learned a lot. Interstitial writing isn't just about genre, or only about genre. In some stories, interstitality had to do with place, or with character, or with a particular moment in life. This book is shelved in the SF/F section of the store, and indeed, some of the stories certainly have a magical realist flair, but if I had to classify this book as anything, it's literary fiction. It's not an anthology that's for everyone, but for anyone with a love of language and fine writing with an open and inquisitive imagination, I think you'll find this anthology worth your while. I know I sure did.

The full review, which contains a story-by-story reaction (and some reactions contain spoilers, others do not), may be found in my journal. Just click here: http://calico-reaction.livejournal.com/58068.html ( )
2 vote devilwrites | Feb 27, 2008 |

Sherman, DeliaEditorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Goss, TheodoraEditormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Fenkl, Heinz InsuIntroductionsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Terri Windling, artist, inspiration, and fellow IAF founder.-DS
For Kelly Link, who inspires so many of us to make our stories stranger and more real.-TG

Interfictions is the first book from the Interstitial Arts Foundation. The cover features a photo of 3D art by Connie Toebe. The table of contents below is alphabetical.

A version of the introduction is online and the Afterword, by the editors Delia Sherman and Theodora Goss -- a great conversation on expectations, editing, definitions (and the lack or use of them) -- is posted (in slightly edited form) here.

Table of Contents

Heinz Insu Fenkl, Introduction
Karen Jordan Allen, "Alternate Anxieties"
Christopher Barzak, "What We Know About the Lost Families of —— House"
K. Tempest Bradford, "Black Feather"
Matthew Cheney, "A Map of the Everywhere"
Michael DeLuca, "The Utter Proximity of God"
Adrián Ferrero, "When It Rains, You'd Better Get Out of Ulga" (translated from the Spanish by Edo Mor)
Colin Greenland, "Timothy"
Csilla Kleinheincz, "A Drop of Raspberry" (translated from the Hungarian by Noémi Szelényi))
Holly Phillips, "Queen of the Butterfly Kingdom"
Rachel Pollack, "Burning Beard: The Dreams and Visions of Joseph Ben Jacob, Lord Viceroy of Egypt"
Joy Remy, "Pallas at Noon"
Anna Tambour, "The Shoe in SHOES' Window"
Veronica Schanoes, "Rats"
Léa Silhol, "Emblemata" (translated from the French by Sarah Smith)
Jon Singer, "Willow Pattern"
Vandana Singh, "Hunger"
Mikal Trimm, "Climbing Redemption Mountain"
Catherynne Valente, "A Dirge for Prester John"
Leslie What, "Post hoc"
Delia Sherman and Theodora Goss, "Afterword: The Space Between"

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,119,090 books! | Top bar: Always visible