The Wishing Tree by Roseanne Thong

The Wishing Tree

by Roseanne Thong

Personal Response:
This book reminds me how I felt after my divorce. I constantly questioned what went wrong and focused on all the negative things that were going on. When I stopped focusing on the negative and looked at all that was going right in my life I realized that I had a lot to be thankful for. Ming does this in the story. When his grandmother dies he doesn't know if he can go on and he focuses on the negative things in his life. When he starts looking at the positives he realizes that his grandmother's wish for his happiness has come true.

Curricular Connections:
I would create a class wishing tree and have students write their wishes on paper copied from the back of the story. We would discuss their wishes and why they wished for it. ( )
  mmleynek | Aug 1, 2010 |

Ming's wishes at the tree on Lunar New Year with his grandmother always seemed to come true, but one year the tree does not help, and he alone must make peace with the loss of his grandmother and the spirit of the tree.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,423,671 books! | Top bar: Always visible