My Friend is Sad by Mo Willems

My Friend is Sad

by Mo Willems

Classic Mo Willems Piggie and Elephant story. Gerald is down in the dumps but Piggie is determined to cheer him up! He tries by dressing as a cowboy, a clown, and a robot. Nothing works until he finds the perfect way to cheer up Gerald! ( )
  JenHopkins | Nov 8, 2015 |
I didn't really appreciated this series until we heard a read aloud at a local bookstore. Giving Gerald and Piggie special and unique voices and over the top expressions make these so much fun! Henry thought this one was VERY funny. He especially liked the robot costume. ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
Piggie does everything he can to make Gerald feel better, but it turns out being himself is all that his buddy needed.
  Stephanie_Addison | Oct 14, 2015 |
I liked reading this book for multiple reasons. First, I liked that all of the text appears in speech bubbles coming from the characters. This creates a fun and easy way for readers to follow along with what Piggie and Gerald are saying. I also liked that the illustrator left the background of each page blank. This allows for the reader to focus fully on the events taking place in the story. The big idea of this story is that little gestures of kindness can go a long way. When Gerald is sad Piggie tries to cheer him up by dressing up in various costumes. Although this was a small gesture, it made Gerald feel happy again and truly appreciate the effort his friend made. ( )
  KerryMcLaughlin | Sep 16, 2015 |
This book has very few words and simple illustrations that will help the reader focus on the story and understand the sequence of events. The big idea of this book is how to help a sad friend out when you have no idea what is wrong with him, the biggest thing being communication. I like this book for two main reasons, which I mentioned shortly before. First, I enjoyed the simple approach to the illustrations, Mo Willems only drew the two characters to make sure the reader’s focus was on them and he gave a lot of detail in portraying the characters emotions. The reader could tell when the elephant was sad because he was frowning and slouching. The reader could interpret the confusion of the pig by the way his eyebrows slanted and his smile faded. The second reason I liked this book was the author’s use of very few words. At the start, the pig made the statement that his friend was sad and that he wanted to help. Then when the pig dressed up as different characters the elephant exclaimed what pig was, "COWBOY!" but then was sad again. The author’s use of fewer words on each page allows his book to be presentable and understood by younger audiences. This book is a great tool for teachers and parents to share with their kids how sometimes what we think we see is not always as it seems. His friend was sad and he tried to help by being other things, when all Elephant wanted was his friend there with him. ( )
  AliRadford | Sep 14, 2015 |

When Gerald the Elephant is sad, Piggie is determined cheer him up, but finds after many tries that it only takes the simplest thing to change Gerald's mood.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,948,147 books! | Top bar: Always visible