The New American Story by Bill Bradley

The New American Story

by Bill Bradley

Like all political writing, I am always afraid the lessons of this book has a short shelf life.

I admired and supported Bradley in 2000, chiefly because of his common sense and willingness to propose big ideas. This book offers proposals rooted in center-left pragmatism to cope with many of the big problems of our time: the budget deficit, health care, education, the Iraq War and Bush foreign policy, and the current political system.

A bit wonky at times, but still, Bradley's voice remains sensible, and tries (often unsuccessfully) to get past his anger at the current administration to offer a balanced program to deal with the most important problems of our time. ( )
  ksmyth | Jun 4, 2007 |

"Politics is stuck," writes Bill Bradley, in this insightful, informative, and provocative book about America at a crossroads, but "idealism isn't dead. It can be reawakened." Bradley believes that America is at a teachable moment when we are compelled to reevaluate our political system, our leadership, our agenda as a nation, and ourselves as citizens. He explores what changes need to be made in our parties, in our politics, and in citizen activism to ensure America's future, and suggests that the party that chooses to embrace this will be in power for a generation. Now more than ever, he says, we need to embrace an "ethic of connectedness," a combination of collective action and individual responsibility, to solve our nation's most pressing problems, and he argues that the fate of all countries is bound together as never before.--From publisher description.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,929,388 books! | Top bar: Always visible