The Best American Nonrequired Reading 2004…

The Best American Nonrequired Reading 2004 (2004)

by Dave Eggers (Editor)

Other authors: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (Contributor), Daniel Alarcón (Contributor), David Benioff (Contributor), Christopher Buckley (Contributor), Dave Eggers (Foreword)21 more, Ben Ehrenreich (Contributor), Eve Englezos (Contributor), Jon Gertner (Contributor), Michael Hall (Contributor), Sammy Harkham (Contributor), John Haskell (Contributor), Kaui Hart Hemmings (Contributor), Thom Jones (Contributor), Tom Kealey (Contributor), Robert Kelly (Contributor), David Mamet (Contributor), Viggo Mortensen (Introduction), Joshua Moutray (Contributor), Gina Ochsner (Contributor), Lance Olsen (Contributor), Julie Orringer (Contributor), Michael Paterniti (Contributor), Paula W. Peterson (Contributor), Cheryl Printup (Contributor), David Sedaris (Contributor), Michelle Tea (Contributor)

Series: The Best American Nonrequired Reading (2004), Best American (2004)

The first volume in this series I really liked; the second, less so; the third, even less. Not sure how many more I'll attempt, to be honest. Christopher Buckley's "We Have a Pope!" was fun, but other than that this one didn't have anything much worth noting, alas. ( )
  JBD1 | Sep 17, 2016 |
This edition of The Best American Nonrequired Reading is very heavy on short fiction. Now, that is not really a good thing. The draw of this collection is the eclectic nature of its contents – essays, short stories, comics, weird things. So, when one of these collections doesn’t have a broad range, there is a good chance it will suffer in comparison to others in the collection.

And, yes, this would be a better collection with more variety. That being said, it is still (as I’ve come to expect) a very, very, very good collection. Starting with the unusual, Sammy Harkham’s comic (whatever you want to call it) is an incredibly haunting set of drawings about a couple where the husband eventually succumbs to the lure of the sea. David Sedaris is represented with “Full House”, a typically excellent essay which, this time, explores just one of the many problems that occur when you are growing up gay (this time, at a slumber party.) Jon Gertner has a fascinating essay (“The Futile Pursuit of Happiness”) that explores studies going on related to what we think will make us happy versus the actual affect these things have on our happiness.

And so to the stories. Why is it that authors (and editors) are so enamored with the supposed profundity in stories related to death or coming of age. Of course they are earth-shattering moments. But wouldn’t it really take more skill to write a profound story without using these crutches? And, just as this collection is a little short on variety when it comes to essays, etc.; there is a similar shortage of variety in topics for the short stories. (I lost track of how many death or coming of age stories I read here.) All that is to say that, in spite of such a handicap, the stories were still very good. There are good examples of each type of story. Daniel Alarcon’s “City of Clowns” is a strange tale of a man coming to grips with the death of his farther (a man who abandoned him and his mother) and the acceptance the mother has for the other woman, while exploring the role of “clowns” in his native Lima. Paula W. Peterson’s “Big Brother”, about an HIV positive mother’s evolving relationship with her son’s big brother, falls in the “other” category.

And, you know what, now that I think of it, none of the coming of age stories really resonated with me. Instead, I’ll just recommend the best story in the collection – Lance Olsen’s “Sixteen Jackies” about the alternate realities that existed for Jackie Kennedy.

One more time – you cannot go wrong if you pick up one of the Best American Nonrequired Reading collection ( )
  figre | Jun 27, 2010 |
The non-fiction was really good, the fiction was kind of hip Oprah book club
  Kaethe | May 22, 2008 |
Maybe it's because I've grown more discerning in my tastes in books, or that I've simply been reading too much so all books are starting to sound the same, but I'm finding myself disappointed by books more often than not. However, no matter how many books I read each year, I know that there will be at least one I love, and it's the America's Best Nonrequired Reading for that year.

This is the third year that the book has been published, and the third time I've bought it. They're edited by Dave Eggers, which may add to their appeal and quality, and are the best selections of reading anywhere. On top of that, they generally encompass all genres: Non-fiction, fiction, and have even as of late included some graphical stories, as well as authors from the well-known to the virtually unheard of.

I love this series to pieces and think everyone should run out and buy all of them right this instant. But I suppose that would take a little bit of integrity out of the title "Nonrequired," wouldn't it? ( )
  twomoredays | Oct 27, 2007 |
This has been a good series, but this volume is full of self-indulgent, whiny short stories. ( )
  mrtall | May 25, 2006 |

Sedaris, DavidContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tea, MichelleContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Contains

City of Clowns by Daniel Alarcón

Zoanthropy (in Best American Nonrequired Reading 2004 - EGGERS) by David Benioff

We Have a Pope! by Christopher Buckley

What You Eat (in Best American Nonrequired Reading 2004 - EGGERS) by Ben Ehrenreich

Vickie, Lacey, Ray, Sharon, Corey, Derek, Carol, and Dave (in Best American Nonrequired Reading 2004 - EGGERS) by Joshua Moutray

The Futile Pursuit of Happiness (in Best American Nonrequired Reading 2004 - EGGERS) by Jon Gertner

This LT work is for copies of The Best American Nonrequired Reading 2004 only. Please do not combine it with copies from other years, or with copies that cannot be distinguished by year. There are separate LT works for each year's edition. Thank you.

Since its inception in 1915, the Best American series has become the premier annual showcase for the country's finest short fiction and nonfiction. For each volume, a series editor reads pieces from hundreds of periodicals, then selects between fifty and a hundred outstanding works. That selection is pared down to the twenty or so very best pieces by a guest editor who is widely recognized as a leading writer in his or her field. This unique system has helped make the Best American series the most respected -- and most popular -- of its kind.
Dave Eggers, who edits The Best American Nonrequired Reading annually, has once again chosen the best and least-expected contemporary fiction, nonfiction, satire, investigative reporting, alternative comics, and more from publications large, small, and on-line -- Zoetrope, Tin House, the Atlantic Monthly, Bomb, SPX, the New York Times, Texas Monthly, GQ, Iowa Review, Esquire, and others. Read on for "some of the best literature you haven't been reading . . . and it's fantastic. All of it" (St. Petersburg Times).

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:37 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,121,517 books! | Top bar: Always visible