Seraphs by Faith Hunter

Honestly, I thought there would be more to this book. I found myself loosing interest within the first half. I found Thorn to be a bit bland. I liked that she kept a low profile, tried to fit in- but I just wasn't interested in her story.
  TheDivineOomba | Aug 11, 2013 |
Well, there aren't really "witches" per-say. They're mages. Close enough.

In a way I liked it better than book one, I always do though. I get more attached to the characters.

I'm still not sure about the Seraphs, good? or bad? Angelic beings from scripture, or aliens who have taken over the planet pretending to be angelic beings from scripture. Hopefully Host will tells us, as it is the last book!

The author has a REALLY annoying habit of using two phrases often enough to make me not only notice but grow irritated. Excessive repetition is always annoying, but on top of that they're really cheesy sounding:

...really sucks Habiel's pearly toes... Sometimes augmented to ...really sucks Habiel's pearly scabrous toes... Equally irritating either way.

and

Ducky as in, "That's just ducky!" Sometimes the full phrase, sometimes just the word.

*sigh*

I like it, but she keeps me from loving it with crap like that. ( )
  Ameliapei | Apr 18, 2013 |
The Rogue Mage series by Faith Hunter is set in a post-apocalyptic world, some generations after Seraphs revealed themselves to the world and joined forces with humans to battle demons. Magic is unleashed upon the world when the offspring of Seraphs & humans come of age; these "mages" have the ability to cast spells, create amulets & wards. Because of their powers, they are kept in enclaves and strictly monitored. The heroine of the series, Thorn St. Croix, is a rogue mage, living as a human outside the mage enclaves, which is illegal. Thorn makes a living crafting jewelry, which comes naturally to her since she is a stone mage, with an affinity for rocks & gemstones. Thorn is surrounded by close friends, none of whom know the truth about her magic abilities.

In Seraphs, the second book of the series, Thorn has been outed as a mage. She is determined to protect the town, whatever the cost, while trying to sort out her complicated feelings for the men in her life.

The series is an interesting blend of urban fantasy and apocalyptic theology (though it's a new theology -- upon their arrival, the Seraphs declared all major religions inaccurate and thus a new religion is created). The author's world-building is detailed and consistent, gorgeously described. In particular, Thorn's affinity for gemstones, colors, and the building of magic spells is beautifully covered in great detail; I found it fascinating, but working with gems & colors & magic may not be everyone's cup of tea. The characters are also well drawn, interesting, and likeable, even minor characters; and the relationships between the various characters are believable and ring true. I would read the series for the characters alone, but the unique setting and descriptive writing has me rushing out to get the next book. ( )
  cmwilson101 | Nov 24, 2011 |
After the events of Bloodring, Thorn can no longer hide who she is. She has a few very loyal allies, but as for the rest of the town most are wary of, if not outright against her. Most fear her, and a few would love nothing more than to prosecute and execute her. Although their fears are mostly based on prejudice, some of them are warranted. The dark forces on the Trine are drawn to Thorn as they want Thorn and her powers, bringing the fight to the town. In the end, to save the ones she loves she must do something she vowed never to do again, go underground into the Darkness' lair to rescue a fallen Seraph that is vital to the looming war.This book was much less confusing than the last one, and while we still do not know the entire truth of Thorn's past, things are starting to become a little more clear. Considering how frustrating it is to me to not know what she truly is, I cannot imagine what it would be like for Thorn. The poor mage has had so many things thrown at her, and everyone seems to know much more about her than she does, its a wonder she can even begin to handle it all. Throughout this book Thorn continues to prove her inner "goodness" regardless of what the townspeople may say, nor the fact that she is supposed to be soulless as all mages are. She never hesitates to risk and sacrifice her safety to protect others and that it a very admirable trait. The mage heat is still an issue for me as you would expect something to come of it, but nothing ever does. While Thorn is so strong willed that she can mostly avoid the temptation, a normal person would not be able to. Since mage heat affects the person it is directed at as well, it would make sense that one of these times something would have happened. Putting that aside Thorn is an amazing character and her selflessness is amazing. I hope in the next book she get some recovery time and a little peace as a reward for all she has done and sacrificed.
  liddlshortydemon | Jul 28, 2010 |
A worthy successor to the first book in the series, this book clearly demonstrates the growing skill of the author, an increasingly interesting and compelling world has been laid beneath the reader's eyes, dripping with the same originality as the first book but further expanded allowing one to delve deeper and greedier into world of Thorn St. Croix,

The world laid out here, is a brilliant combination of our current world combined with our past, along with one of the cornerstones of fantasy, all mixed together by a increasingly skilled author into a post-apocalyptic future, one can't help but become increasingly attached to the central character, and ever more curious about the ever unfolding world around which this book takes place.

If you have read the first book, I whole heartedly recommend you continue in the series with this, you won't be disappointed, if you have not I recommend you read the 1st one prior to this if you wish to understand this book within it's proper context and enjoy it to it's fullest potential. ( )
  Xanderxavier | Aug 22, 2009 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451462440, Mass Market Paperback)

Living among humans in a post- apocalyptic ice age, neomage Thorn St. Croix is a source of both fear and fascination for the people of Mineral City?and now she faces her ultimate test.

Deep under the snow-covered mountains beyond the village, an imprisoned fallen seraph desperately needs her help. There, hidden in the hellhole, the armies of Darkness assemble to ensure this subterranean rescue will be Thorn?s final descent?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:47 -0400)

The follow-up to "Bloodring" finds neomage Thorn St. Croix facing her ultimate test. Deep in the mountains beyond Mineral City, an imprisoned fallen seraph needs her help. There, the armies of Darkness assemble to ensure this rescue will be Thorn's final descent.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,416,484 books! | Top bar: Always visible