Dead in the West by Joe R. Lansdale

Dead in the West (edition 2005)

by Joe R. Lansdale

Title:Dead in the West
Authors:Joe R. Lansdale
Info:Night Shade Books (2005), Hardcover, 148 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites

Dead in the West by Joe R. Lansdale

'Hallowed be thy name, oh Lord—and shotgun do your stuff.'The fun I had with this book!

Mud Creek, Texas.
Jebediah Mercer, a gunslinger preacher, feels drawn to this horrible little town. His dreams are terrifying. When the evil finally comes to Mud Creek, he is the only one who is standing in its way.

The Reverend is a true anti-hero. He has some real sins behind him, not just imaginary ones. And, yet, you'll root for him. And you'll probably like him. I know I do.

Now, as for the evil and what happens to Mud Creek in general: they deserved a lot worse.
They killed a man and raped and mutilated woman he loved. Not everyone, of course, but the rest of them did nothing to prevent what had been done to them. Either I am really bloodthirsty or the punishment was too mild. When people get killed, whether they rise again or not is not important because they do not suffer! I wanted one particular character to be punished more than what he got. I wanted his punishment to be exactly the same what happened to the woman. It didn't even have to be on page (only a hint would have been enough for me).
As for the rest Mud Creek, I don't think they were punished enough (I probably am too bloodthirsty).
Nevertheless, the story is entertaining enough for me to wish to read more about the Reverend.

If you enjoy graveyard humour, demons and zombies, you'll probably like this story. ( )
  Irena. | Nov 3, 2015 |

Dead in the West is the story of Mud Creek, Texas, a town overshadowed by a terrible evil. An Indian medicine man, unjustly lynched by the people of Mud Creek, has put a curse on the town. As the sun sets, he will have his revenge. For when darkness falls, the dead will walk in Mud Creek and they will be hungry for human flesh. The only one that can save the town is Reverend Jebediah Mercer, a gun toting preacher man who came to Mud Creek to escape his past. He has lost his faith in the Lord and his only solace is the whisky bottle. Will he renew his faith in himself and God to defeat this evil or will the town be destroyed?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:20 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,893,859 books! | Top bar: Always visible