Diary of a Serial Killer by Ed Gaffney

Diary of a Serial Killer

by Ed Gaffney

In this 3rd book by Ed Gaffney, defense attorneys Zach Wilson and Terry Tallach have been appointed to handle the request for a hearing for re-trial of a convicted serial killer. Despite the fact that the convicted killer has been in prison for 20 years, it appears that the "Springfield Shooter" has become active again. Interpersonal entanglements abound, since Zach's father, now a federal judge, was the defense attorney at the original trial, and Terry is a personal friend of the detective handling the current investigations. We also meet a former author/professor who had been under suspicion for the original crimes and briefly arrested, and his daughter who appears to be a target of the current killer, as well as several candidates for the "bad guy".

I had a little trouble at first getting used to the several different styles of chapters, one of which is numbered normally, one is a series of flash-forwards (or real time and the rest of the book is flash-back) which count down a period of 45 seconds over the course of the entire book, and another that is a set of insights into the killer's thoughts and actions. There are quite a lot of characters in this book, and it is easy to get a little confused if careful attention is not given. The relationship between all these characters becomes a little convoluted, but is explained in the end. I don't remember being given the critical information in the story that would have allowed me to solve the mystery on my own (a definite weakness in my opinion), but it might have just been lost in the confusion.

Overall, I liked this book. I thought it was a good story with lots of satisfying twists and turns. I'm not so fond of the author's habit of jumping from scene to scene and revealing only bits and pieces of information at a time. I guess he's trying to keep the pace fast and the reader on the hook, but I prefer to see the evidence as the investigator sees it. I don't want the good guys keeping secrets from me. As far as recommendations - this is an easy and entertaining read, but I can't imagine it being anyone's favorite book. ( )
  sjmccreary | Jun 7, 2008 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440243734, Mass Market Paperback)

For defense attorneys Zack Wilson and Terry Tallach, time is precious. Not just because they’re paid by the hour. Or because their careers have taken off after a succession of high-profile cases. Or because a baffling, shocking serial murder case is threatening to tear Zack’s family apart. For these two lawyers, time is precious because they have just walked into the wrong courtroom at the wrong time, where a man is shooting a gun into a crowd that includes Zack’s innocent young son.

But until the last second, there’s hope. While a woman detective desperately races through the city streets to stop a sadistic serial killer, while a puzzle of lies, madness, and brutal manipulation comes together, two men are out of time—for everything but the truth....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:38 -0400)

Maverick defense attorneys Zack Wilson and Terry Tallach race against time to uncover the truth about a twenty-year-old serial murder case after accidentally walking into the wrong courtroom, in which a madman with a gun is threatening to shoot into a crowd of bystanders, one of whom is Zack's innocent young son.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,993,245 books! | Top bar: Always visible