Secrets Can Be Murder: What America's Most…

Secrets Can Be Murder: What America's Most Sensational Crimes Tell Us…

by Jane Velez-Mitchell

This book had potential. It could have been an interesting look into why people do the things that they do. Instead, the author chose to further her agenda. She calls men "hunters" and women "prey." She continually vilifies men, even when she is discussing female killers. Apparently, it's always a man's fault. I was sorely disappointed with this book. ( )
  Phantasma | Jul 11, 2007 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 074329937X, Paperback)

Respected television news journalist Jane Velez-Mitchell asks a probing, disturbing question: Are killers like Scott Peterson and Andrea Yates all that different from the rest of us?

What kind of monster would do this? When journalists break the story of a child who's been kidnapped, a young woman who's been brutally raped, or a family who's been slaughtered, that's the question most of us ask. Secrets Can Be Murder exposes the hidden motivations behind the most sinister acts of recent times, with a behind-closed-doors look at these sensational crimes that will astound you.

After weighing in on high-profile cases for CNN, Fox News, Court TV, and MSNBC, author Jane Velez-Mitchell helps us understand these infamous crimes by unmasking the deceptions that turned toxic, exploding in rage and violence.

People lie every day to protect secrets, big and small. From desperate Hollywood personalities covering up their eccentric lifestyles to Bible Belt mothers who take the lives of their own children, Secrets Can Be Murder probes twenty-one separate cases. Each illustrates how leading a double life can land you in prison, and how failing to spot liars can get you killed.

Secrets Can Be Murder offers the inside story on each horrific case, unlocking the jaw-dropping secrets of the accused and revealing the common, innocent mistakes of the victims. After all, many of us have gone out alone late at night like Imette St. Guillen, or partied while on vacation like George Smith and Natalee Holloway.

From Dan Horowitz, the high-profile lawyer whose wife was brutally murdered by a teenage neighbor while Horowitz was defending a housewife accused of murder, to Neil Entwistle, the British husband who ran out of funds for an extravagant American lifestyle, Velez-Mitchell shows how each of these crimes has its own secrets to spill.

Many of us possess the same trusting nature as victims and carry around the same secrets as criminals -- whether it's debt, infidelity, or fetishes. With fascinating new insights from investigators and psychologists plus the friends and family of both the victims and the perpetrators, Secrets Can Be Murder illustrates just how little separates our so-called normal lives from that of a sociopath -- and how you can stay out of harm's way.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:47 -0400)

Television journalist Velez-Mitchell asks a disturbing question: Are killers like Scott Peterson and Andrea Yates all that different from the rest of us? When journalists break the story of a kidnapping, a brutal rape, or a family slaughtered, we ask: What kind of monster would do this? This book exposes the hidden motivations behind 21 recent crimes. People lie to protect secrets, big and small--but leading a double life can land you in prison, and failing to spot a liar can get you killed. Many of us possess the same trusting nature as victims and carry around the same secrets as criminals--whether it's debt, infidelity, or fetishes. With new insights from investigators and psychologists plus friends and family of both victims and perpetrators, this book illustrates just how little separates our so-called normal lives from that of a sociopath--and how you can stay out of harm's way.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,745,559 books! | Top bar: Always visible