A Florentine Death by Michele Giuttari

A Florentine Death

by Michele Giuttari

This was an engaging police thriller from the former head of the Florence police force, the writing becomes more assured as the story goes along and is ultimately gripping as the head of the Florence police goes up against a serial killer with a personal grudge against him. ( )
  Hanneri | May 8, 2016 |
A Florentine Death is the first book of Michele Guittari's that I have read and I must say that I was impressed. Here is the summary from the book's blurb:

"Chief Superintendent Michele Ferrara knows that the beautiful surface of his adopted city, Florence, hides dark undercurrents. When called in to investigate a series of brutal and apparently random murders, his intuition is confirmed. Distrusted by his superiors and pilloried by the media, Ferrara finds time running out as the questions pile up. Is there a connection between the murders and the threatening letters he has received? Are his old enemies, the Calabrian Mafia, involved? And what part is played by a beautiful young woman facing a heart-rending decision, a priest troubled by a secret from his past, and an American journalist fascinated by the darker side of life? Ferrara confronts the murky underbelly of Florence in an investigation that will put not only his career but also his life on the line."
I do not normally care for the police procedural or serial killer mystery sub-genres but the cultural aspects of life in Florence intrigued me and held my interest. Our killer is gruesome with his victiim's bodies and eventually targets officer Ferrara for his/her final murder. The police are unable to connect the victims and do not make much progress in finding the perp. It all washes out at the end but it would have been nice if some of the red herrings were gradually explained away. A secondary plot about a graduate student and a journalist is interesting but I did not feel that it was connected enough to the main plot line. If this novel did not take place in Florence, I probably would not have liked it at all. ( )
  Violette62 | Jul 24, 2012 |
An Italian whodunnit set in florence, which appealed to me because i have always wanted to visit the city. The plot was ok, nothing very unusual. The characters were more or less believable, but this wasn not a book that will stay in the memory. ( )
  brigidsmith | Aug 1, 2011 |
Highly enjoyable I look forward to reading another of this fine writers novels.You would know by reading this book that the writer has first hand experience of Police Procedure ( Ex Chief Of Police Florence) ( )
  dano35ie | Jun 30, 2009 |
A very good read. The author is a policeman and the book shows how much investigations depend on informers and on good luck! ( )
1 vote alalba | Jun 2, 2009 |
To my wife Christa, who had the endless patience to support me during the endless hours of solitude which the work of a writer involves.
That morning Florence had woken up twice: from a night's sleep, and from the sluggishness of a summer that had been too hot and too long.

Chief Superintendent Michele Ferrara knows that the beautiful surface of his adopted city, Florence, hides dark undercurrents. When called in to investigate a series of brutal and apparently random murders, his intuition is confirmed. Distrusted by his superiors and pilloried by the media, Ferrara finds time running out as the questions pile up. Is there a connection between the murders and the threatening letters he has received? Are his old enemies, the Calabrian Mafia, involved? And what part is played by a beautiful young woman facing a heart-rending decision, a priest troubled by a secret from his past, and an American journalist fascinated by the darker side of life? Ferrara confronts the murky underbelly of Florence in an investigation that will put not only his career but also his life on the line.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,380,385 books! | Top bar: Always visible