The Refuge by Sue Henry

The Refuge

by Sue Henry

I picked this up because it is both set in Hawaii, and part of a series involving a Dachshund (Stretch of Maxie and Stretch). Sadly, because of Hawaii's strict quarantine laws, Stretch spends the entire book in Alaska.

I also discovered that this volume is several books into at least two interlocking series - one starring Jessie Arnold, who appears here as a good friend and minor character, and one starring Maxie and Stretch, of which this is at least the third. I am fairly obsessive about reading series in order, but I found that this one was fine. There were references to previous books, but nothing "infodump-y."

I liked this book. It's well written, the characters are fun, and the Hawaii setting was reasonable and well portrayed. The mystery made sense, and the only point that took me out of the book was a reference to a plane ticket having been purchesed by one character for another, who later admits to not knowing the second character's last name. I spent more time than it was probably worth trying to figure that one out.

I would definitely read other books in this series. (The Jessie Arnold series is set in Alaska, not a big draw for me.) ( )
  teckelvik | Aug 4, 2012 |
Feisty 64 yr old travels to Hawaii to help a friend pack and move back to Alaska. She enlists the help of a young man who acts as her helper, tour guide and protector. My complaint . . . .Maxie is extremely trusting and oblivious to danger. ( )
  Kathy89 | Jul 6, 2008 |
I enjoyed this and learned a lot of interesting stuff about Hawaii's biggest island and hope to go there.
Sue Henry puts her usual charming spin on a mystery-humor, factual information and not too scary suspense. ( )
  eliorajoy | Mar 26, 2008 |
For Becky Ludqvist, generous in sharing adventures, her house in Hawaii,m her Alaskan island refuge, and many years of friendship, laughter, and Farkel.
Sometime in the deep of the night I became vaguely aware of a soft breeze blowing on my face and the gentle susurrus of a window curtain moving above my head.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451223527, Mass Market Paperback)

Maxie McNabb and her miniature dachshund, Stretch, are in Hawaii to help Maxie's friend Karen Bailey pack up her house. But after a prowler tries to break in and someone sabotages the plumbing, Maxie suspects that Karen is hiding something...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:57:04 -0400)

"After nine tense months on the road, Maxie McNabb longs for her little house in Homer, Alaska. The sixty-something RVer wants nothing more than to breathe the briny air of Kachemak Bay and relax on her deck, sipping whiskey and enjoying the company of her miniature dachshund, the stouthearted Stretch." "But no sooner has Maxie parked the Minnie Winnie than she finds herself back in motion. A pleading phone call shatters her vision of an Alaskan summer idyll and sends her flying to Hawaii - and to the rescue of an old acquaintance. Karen Bailey, hobbled by an accident, needs Maxie's help packing up her house - or so she says." "Within hours of Maxie's arrival, a prowler tries to break in. Then someone sabotages the plumbing. But it's not until Maxie interrupts Karen whispering into the phone - "No, don't call here. I'll call you when it's safe - when she's..." - that she begins to suspect that the woman is hiding something. Far from home and no longer behind the wheel, Maxie finds herself taking off in unexpected and thoroughly unsettling ways."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,377,171 books! | Top bar: Always visible